Bachmann O4

Andy Y

..Only final quibble ... is the smokebox front, the bottom edge is not quite straight/bottom of smokebox front sits fractionally to one side or the other of the smokebox side - appears to be a problem on all examples seen on here and hattons website. From those who have hacked around with there O4, how easy is it to remove the smokebox front (hand rails aside). ...

The smokebox front including the door is a cemented on piece, you can see the joint just ahead of the ring of rivet heads around the front of the smokebox wrapper. If I had to part this component then I would do so from the underside to minimise visible damage. I have not attempted this as mine is all-square; I think there is a risk of significant damage if this is attempted, the edges of the moulding look thin, and it appears to be firmly cemented in place.

The boiler and cab comes off the running plate by undoing the three screws on the underside, and the reach rod has to be disconnected. (On my example the cab was 'tacked' to the running plate by the cab interior paint, a little wiggling broke this weak bond.) Taking the boiler off lets you get at the screws for the puny ballast weight BTW. I should have liked to remove the smokebox front for potential ease in installing lead ballast, but its' firm attachment dissuaded me. Having filled much of the boiler part of the barrel with lead, the little beastie now pulls very well, and is nicely balanced near the middle of the coupled wheelbase.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Among all the comment about upcoming and newly announced locos at the Warley show no one - apart from me - seems to have mentioned the Bachmann/NRM 8K 2-8-0 on display on the Friends of The NRM stand. Has anyone with a good knowledge of GCR livery and detail got a view on the accuracy of Bachmann's effort on this loco? On brief acquaintance it looked fairly good but it's a bit out of my normal field so an informed opinion would be welcome.

BTW the folk on the stand were uncertain what the price of the loco will be mentioning figures between £110 and £130 but I'm not at all sure if these were just guesses or based on what the NRM marketing people had told them.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It would seem that Bachmann are less inclined to produce the finer details with regard to variants than Hornby. I have 63601 which is obviously based on the current state of the preserved example and the tender is a WD one without water scoop. I intend to eventually produce some of the variants including a WWII example in grey (oil fired) so will post pics when I eventually get round to it, although other projects need to be dealt with first.

I wonder whether the Bachmann mindset comes from the USA where locomotives and coaches are produced in liveries for roads on which the prototypes never ran. Take the Pennsy heavyweight coaches for example which have been turned out in the liveries of many other roads but are not exactly correct for any of these??

One consolation from the USA is that one can get spare tenders.

• 2 years later...

• Well thanks to 34theletterbetweenB&D I have modified the piston slides and pistons so that the are closer to prototype.  On the downside when I was doing it I noticed that the handrails on both sides ended up short of the cab.  After playing around I managed to get one side such that it would fit into the cab but the other side was simply too short with at least a 2mm gap.  However, all was not lost as I have a couple of new Bachmann B1 bodies (chassis used to replace old split chassis models) and with some difficulty was able to replace the handrails from one of those on the 04.  Couple of things learnt during this process, a) the handrail wire is very brittle and takes a kink very easily, B) at least one on the handrail knobs is always attached to the wire very firmly (paint/glue).  Judicious application of heat from a soldering iron will free it up.  c) the front boiler handrail knob is smaller than the side ones and needs to be retained.  It is very well attached to the body and is rather fragile.  Judicious use of heat from a soldering iron will allow it to be pulled out of the plastic with no damage.  Next step is better weathering.  post-4861-0-55972900-1409866234.jpgpost-4861-0-11204600-1409866238.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, After completing my modifications to the cylinders I was doing some test running only to find that the loco kept stalling on some of my (insulated) points, which it had not done before.  Since I had just completed the mods I was sure it was something I had done (and in a way it was).  Anyway, after much taking apart, re-assembly, changing this and that and testing (that miniature plug is a right pain), I was at my wits end.  Then, I noticed that the front coupling, which had the bottom link hung on the hook, had flexed underneath the buffer, was fowling the NMRA coupling pocket that had yet to be cut off so that the front bogie was lifting the front x drivers up and away from the track.  Re-position and problem solved

• 4 months later...

Two 04's but 25 years apart.  A Bachmann with the cylinder angle corrected and a Little Engines.  The latter weights the metaphorical ton, is powered by my one Porterscap motor that doesn't howl, will pull at least 60 wagons and just keeps on going.post-4861-0-81099700-1422651401.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am wondering if there are detail or engineering differences between the current 31-003a model and the previous 31-005 model, except for the running number.

I have not noticed anything in the pictures yet.

However, I am a bit confused that Bachmann used a number vs. a letter to differentiate the 005 model from the original 31-003 model.

Any insight would be welcome.

Regards, Tom

Guest spet0114

I am wondering if there are detail or engineering differences between the current 31-003a model and the previous 31-005 model, except for the running number.

I have not noticed anything in the pictures yet.

However, I am a bit confused that Bachmann used a number vs. a letter to differentiate the 005 model from the original 31-003 model.

Any insight would be welcome.

Regards, Tom

Simple - different numbers for different liveries (e.g. 003 vs 005) and a suffix (eg 003a) for reissues of a previous livery with a new number.

In the case of 005 vs 003a, one is the pre-1946 LNER livery, the other the post '46 livery, though I can't from memory recall which is which.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Spet0114, I hadn't thought of that.

However, looking again, all three models 31-003, 31-005, and 31-003a are plain black with yellow/gold shaded LNER numbers and lettering. 

Do you still think that is what it is ?

Cheers, Tom

Guest spet0114

Thanks Spet0114, I hadn't thought of that.

However, looking again, all three models 31-003, 31-005, and 31-003a are plain black with yellow/gold shaded LNER numbers and lettering. 

Do you still think that is what it is ?

Cheers, Tom

Yes, 003 and 003a have pre-46 numbers, 005 has a post 46 number.

Archived