Vintage signal box i.d.

Tennessee Jones

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, rekoboy said:

Indeed it is the Pola signalbox made for Playcraft in Germany by Pola Quick and sold by them in various guises across Europe!

Whereas, I had the Newtown version - in a Playcraft box.

• Like 1

More about the kits Playcraft used here. I think some of the range must have been commisioned by Playcraft, in particular the Bletchley and Macclesfield stations which are loosley based on actual BR(LMR) prototypes. I've got a built one and the doors on it are 4mm scale rather than H0 but they have reduced the overall footprint of the structure by making each element about two-thirds size; quite subtle.

Some of these kits were sold by Hornby in the mid.'70s to early '80s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have made use of an ancient Playcraft, really Pola, goods station crane on the coaling stage of my German TT layout which I picked up for a couple of quid with a lot of scrap kit bits. The crane was made by Pola, sold also in Germany by Brawa as a stand-alone, pocket-money layout accessory, and, of course, by Playcraft as part of the goods depot. Truly international! If you want to see more, my layout, Kirchheim, is on this website under the German Railways rubric.

BR55amBW.jpg.66c2a587176e1556d4d5ae923f3a12e8.jpg

• RMweb Premium

If you follow this link to a Brawa leaflet from 1964 on Conrad Antiquario's fantastic, free catalogue archive you will find on P10 and P11 some familiar Playcraft accessories, I think!

https://www.conradantiquario.de/content/katalog/brawa-1964-1965.html

Pola used to include multi-lingual decorative sheets for their kits. I have acquired a few 1960s unbuilt Pola kits for nostalgic reasons - the decoration sheets give a clear indication that British buyers of purportedly Playcraft products might be needing them!

Pola-Schilder.jpg.cbf3af1c4de93cc169838dc24548be26.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
More!

22 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pre Brexit then?

Mike.

Pre Brentry in fact.  🙂

I have a feeling I have one of these signal boxes stashed away in a junk box somewhere. i'll have a look!

Edited by Il Grifone