Modern image figures/people in OO gauge

tjf4375

Hi all,

I'm really interested to know people's thoughts on the various different figures that are out there for OO gauge. Having not bought them for donkeys years, I'm staggered by how expensive some of them are these days! Also it seems extremely difficult to find modern looking figures, they all seem to be based on the steam era. I know of Modelu and have bought a couple from them but they're rather pricey. Also I am having trouble tracking down suitable people for modern station staff (privatisation era) - they're all either extremely old fashioned or are based on platform staff and drivers whereas I'm looking for more general looking 'high vis' officials for ticket barriers and offices if that makes sense - if anyone can offer any suggestions I'd be really grateful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the opposite complaint, can't find suitable figures for a 1950s layout.  Let me elaborate on that initially suprising statement; there are a plethora of plastic and cast whitemetal figures ideal for this period, but not for a layout set in the South Wales valleys, which I remember pretty well from childhood visits to rellys up there.  The available figures are fine, erect, upstanding members of the community, men at least six feet tall, women about five ten, passengers are smartly dressed and clearly doing all right for themselves.  The South Wales Valleys at this time were in recovery from a period of very serious economic depression and genuine poverty and war, and looked it; smart clothes were for chapel only, and the general populace was sickly, ill-fed, stunted, bent, stooped, posture was poor, either over- or under-weight, and scruffy.  Only bosses wore hats, all other men wore caps, women wore scarves, kids were in hand-me-downs that didn't fit, and everybody, I mean everybody, had a fag permanently stuck in their mouth.  Nobody wore anything colourful; us Celts enjoy a bit of misery!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I know they can be expensive, but it might be worth looking at Bachmann, they do seem to cater for more modern figures than most other manufacturers. Some do have hi viz, maybe some can be repurposed?

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/scenecraft/oo-scale/oo-scale-figures

Jason

You're right - I had sort of overlooked Bachmann but having another look I can see a few figures in their range that would be quite handy. I wish they were a bit cheaper though! 😂 Thanks for the heads up :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tjf4375 said:

You're right - I had sort of overlooked Bachmann but having another look I can see a few figures in their range that would be quite handy. I wish they were a bit cheaper though! 😂 Thanks for the heads up :)

Look around the online retailers, they are the sort of things that get heavily discounted.

Jason

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brossard said:

Monty's Figures are very good IMO:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys.php

Although, I usually buy ModelU figures despite the price because they are at the top.

John

They do look rather good although perhaps more so for the steam era modellers. I agree ModelU are probably the best out there at the moment, I've ordered a couple of theirs 👍

• Like 1