"Les Caves du Roy" Banlieue Est, Beyrouth - Chemin de fer de l'Etat Libanais (C.E.L.)

Lineas Cubanas

On 27/04/2024 at 13:55, Not Jeremy said:

Thank you Matt for letting me see this fantastic piece of work this morning, ahead of its appearance at Larkrail on the 13th July.

I won't steal Matt's thunder, and I am no photographer, but here is a snap that hopefully gives some idea of just how very good this model is.

New-1(156).jpg.dc6c957af1864274c23f27d8e8a5d0ac.jpg

Just this layout alone is reason enough to visit Larkrail on the 13th - I am really looking forward to seeing it all set up. Matt is working on various "audio visual" touches that will truly bring it to life.

Just an astonishingly good creation, real jaw dropping stuff....

Simon

No problem, Simon

Thanks for coming down and the kind words, much appreciated

See you on the 13th!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Glad you posted the link to Larkrail as I’d missed the topic. Another obscure subject off the usual beaten track and all the more fascinating for it. 😀

• Thanks 1

I keep coming back to this thread as I am captivated by the model. the audacious choice of prototype and its execution. Sadly world events have added an extra angle to the damaged buildings; those of us old enough to remember when "Beirut" meant what "Gaza" soes now.

The point of my comment relates more to your Cuban layouts. When I worked in Grand Cayman a couple of years back, a few of my team were Cubans, mostly boat refugees. One of the team had never really had any contact with railway modelling, but she was fascinated by your layout, and came back to me to ask for the URL for the thread on RMWeb. I believe she screenshotted some of the photos and emailed them home to her family in Havana.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to remind everyone that Matt's brilliant model is appearing tomorrow at "Larkrail" in Bath.

It has been set up earlier this evening and is looking amazing already.

20240712_202231.jpg.9a2d0beed345257cee3bc98cd5afe940.jpg

Thank you very much Matt, I hope you enjoy your "day out" tomorrow.

• Like 10

On 13/07/2024 at 19:19, PaulRhB said:

IMG_9487.jpeg.7a2f77d30c3c0fae107116f0f8053cc5.jpeg

Thanks Matt! A wonderful model and great to have a chat. A brave choice with subtle stories which sparked several conversations through the day. 

IMG_9453.jpeg.30b9b8c907ccc406e59f033cc1228d25.jpeg

IMG_9486.jpeg.27f9877a6d03a9fd419f68a00662cdbf.jpeg

IMG_9485.jpeg.f8659b1054271490c7a54b6ede8d7057.jpeg

IMG_9484.jpeg.6be30d05a21677d2b21b2dec1ef8ca48.jpeg

IMG_9454.jpeg.b59e09c43118850801467b4384d5d829.jpeg

IMG_9481.jpeg

Thanks Paul 

It was good to meet you and put a face to a name!

I must say your photos have come out well and the layout appears to have be looking ok (even if i do say so myself)

I have noticed in a few of your photos (and also some taken by others) that the camera seems to pick up more than my naked eye did when operating the layout on Saturday!  

The light from the window that was behind the layout has "shone through" and......

picked up the blue decorators tape that joins the backscene together!

- along with the backscene extending higher than the backboard of the layout, it has presented  a straight line across the backscene in the photos......

I wasn't aware of this on Saturday and hope it wasn't visible to the naked eye......

As this was my first exhibition outing, I learnt a lot including:

- I have yet to master the art of operating effectively and chatting at the same time

- Its a tiring business and if I exhibit again, I would like to have someone to help 

- Everyone was very friendly and complementary which was very much appreciated

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to speak with me and chat about the layout

Matt

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I wasn't aware of this on Saturday and hope it wasn't visible to the naked eye......

Only when the sun was strong, the camera was more sensitive to it though and picked it up when I couldn’t see it too. It didn’t spoil the impression for us. 

- I have yet to master the art of operating effectively and chatting at the same time

Oh I think you were coping admirably, we worry about perfection it makes us feel bad when we operate our layouts and get distracted 😉

(I’ve even seen Gordon Gravett have to try again) 

- Its a tiring business and if I exhibit again, I would like to have someone to help 

Yes I always have enough help to go halves on operating it saves the feet as well as the vocal cords!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Fabulous layout and great to see it at LarkRail on Saturday.

We had a brief chat but I had left it a bit late as you were just starting to pack up!

Hope to see it at another show 👍

Edited by bcnPete
‘Late’ added
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Fabulous layout and great to see it at LarkRail on Saturday.

We had a brief chat but I had left it a bit as you were just starting to pack up!

Hope to see it at another show 👍

Yes, I remember 

You should have identified yourself as "Kyle of Lochalsh" and I could have run by you my ideas for my next layout.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Yes, I remember 

You should have identified yourself as "Kyle of Lochalsh" and I could have run by you my ideas for my next layout.......

I’ll drop you a PM 😄

On 10/03/2024 at 16:24, Lineas Cubanas said:

IMG_2379.jpg.dfe0554de4ee10591bcc658692d40505.jpg

I have only just been made aware of this thread and the only word I can use is - AMAZING!

This goes far beyond brilliant modelling, this works on many other levels. When you are finally finished with it, it should go into a museum.

What other shows are you exhibiting at in the next 12 months?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the pleasure of seeing it at Larkrail on Saturday, it's really superb, atmoshpheric and full of interest.  It was probably the my favourite layout of the show, which given the high quality of layouts there is quite something!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2024 at 06:51, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I have only just been made aware of this thread and the only word I can use is - AMAZING!

This goes far beyond brilliant modelling, this works on many other levels. When you are finally finished with it, it should go into a museum.

What other shows are you exhibiting at in the next 12 months?

On 18/07/2024 at 09:41, Jon Harbour said:

What a magnificent layout! Breathtaking! 

On 18/07/2024 at 12:01, Taigatrommel said:

I had the pleasure of seeing it at Larkrail on Saturday, it's really superb, atmoshpheric and full of interest.  It was probably the my favourite layout of the show, which given the high quality of layouts there is quite something!

Thanks for all your kind comments

To be honest, I am rather overwhelmed by the response the layout has received and the number of people who have made the time and effort to compliment me on it......

I can assure you, I am just your average modeller who cannot cut styrene in a straight line but as a result has become very good at covering up his mistakes.......

For those of you who didn't manage to get to Larkrail, you can see more here in Callum's excellent video of the day:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I can assure you, I am just your average modeller who cannot cut styrene in a straight line but as a result has become very good at covering up his mistakes.......

😉 It’s part of what makes it attractive, it’s not overdone in concept but it is very evocative and you can see clever use of known materials. 
Just enjoy your hard work and thought being appreciated and like you said above bring a helper next time so you can relax and enjoy it even more 😀

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I am still completely undecided about figures on a model railroad........

Do you mean that the figures are frozen in position while the trains move? The same can of course be said of road vehicles unless one is clever enough to make them move too.

I think both are fine if posed in what would realistically be a stationary position - the soldier by the land rover for example looks fine - perhaps he's just discussing their next move with the driver?

Their colleague standing in the middle of the road would be in pain if he held that pose for more than about two minutes, so it looks less plausible. Now if he was giving a stop signal by holding a red flag lower down near his body, that would be more plausible (and comfortable).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes people leaning against a door or wall, sat at the chairs amongst the rubble are all poses that could be realistic for several minutes. 
It’s one of those dilemmas because frozen in a phot they look fine in action poses but less convincing in person or on video. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I am still completely undecided about figures on a model railroad........

IMG_2543.jpg

What I would say is that you have a unique layout which could be spoilt by using 'standard' figures.

Standard HO figures can be carved about to make unique ones. Here is an example. This black haired girl with a red jumper and blue jeans used to be a blonde housewife in a yellow summer dress hanging washing on a line. Yes, it was hours of work, but no other layout has that figure - it's unique. I would suggest that a very few unique figures would be better than a lot of easily recognisable 'out of the box' figures.

Student.jpg.3c5b460eb46b035c825b9edd62ee3279.jpgpr10050.jpg.58536da07d715bd65e7676697d8f198e.jpg

I don't know your budget, but  would also suggest that you might get some unique figures i.e. literally one-offs made for you by Modelu. They are expensive, but I don't think you need many figures on your layout. Could you find some unique poses that help tell your unique story. Let me give you an example from my layout. My unique story is about me and my personal friends visiting China to photograph and video the last of steam. So, I got my friends scanned and 3D printed - in unique poses that helped tell my story.

Here is my travelling companion, Gordon, with his camera bag over his shoulder looking at the video he's just shot of a passing steam train - apologies for the poor photo and next to that are the scans of Gordon and my other travelling companion with his tripod over his shoulder. 

227855a.jpg.fbb6f19196b90d3576536902dd9cdea8.jpgAP18-21PaulStapletona.jpeg.370c4a5ce65f854f6490002525a9c8a4.jpeg

I don't know what 'unique' figures would suit your layout - only you know that - it's your UNIQUE story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/08/2024 at 19:16, TEAMYAKIMA said:

What I would say is that you have a unique layout which could be spoilt by using 'standard' figures.

Standard HO figures can be carved about to make unique ones. Here is an example. This black haired girl with a red jumper and blue jeans used to be a blonde housewife in a yellow summer dress hanging washing on a line. Yes, it was hours of work, but no other layout has that figure - it's unique. I would suggest that a very few unique figures would be better than a lot of easily recognisable 'out of the box' figures.

Student.jpg.3c5b460eb46b035c825b9edd62ee3279.jpgpr10050.jpg.58536da07d715bd65e7676697d8f198e.jpg

I don't know your budget, but  would also suggest that you might get some unique figures i.e. literally one-offs made for you by Modelu. They are expensive, but I don't think you need many figures on your layout. Could you find some unique poses that help tell your unique story. Let me give you an example from my layout. My unique story is about me and my personal friends visiting China to photograph and video the last of steam. So, I got my friends scanned and 3D printed - in unique poses that helped tell my story.

Here is my travelling companion, Gordon, with his camera bag over his shoulder looking at the video he's just shot of a passing steam train - apologies for the poor photo and next to that are the scans of Gordon and my other travelling companion with his tripod over his shoulder. 

227855a.jpg.fbb6f19196b90d3576536902dd9cdea8.jpgAP18-21PaulStapletona.jpeg.370c4a5ce65f854f6490002525a9c8a4.jpeg

I don't know what 'unique' figures would suit your layout - only you know that - it's your UNIQUE story.

In the scan Gordon is clearly holding a camera, but in the figure it looks more like some kind of weaponry...

"Gordon, our man in Beijiao"

Luke

• Agree 1