"Les Caves du Roy" Banlieue Est, Beyrouth - Chemin de fer de l'Etat Libanais (C.E.L.)

Lineas Cubanas

Yes, thanks for posting.......

I do have the excellent book by Eddie Choueiry: "Liban Sur Rail" which was actually purchased from the Virgin Megastore in Beirut.

Obviously renovated and rebuilt, it is in Martyrs square the 3rd photo above of the destroyed buildings (the one with the chairs and umbrellas).......

ulcm.org2fimages2fdefault-source2fnewsletter2ftrain.jpg.webp.1b8c9b440285b209000eb76f470b5c63.webp

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok so for a bit of context: the map below shows the railway system in Lebanon as it existed before the Civil War

Planche1.jpg.d23b9c534d5453e1afc0e51a898e0dc1.jpg

As we can see there was both standard gauge lines and a narrow-gauge line (which had a rack section)

Beirut had essentially 2 main stations:

- Mar Mikhael station (Gare St Michel) was the western terminus of the Beirut - Riyaq - Damascus narrow gauge (1.05m) rack line over the mountains. This line to Syria was shut down 2 years into the 1975-1990 Civil War.

- The NBT (Nakoura- Beirut- Tripoli) station at Furn el Shebback with its yard maintained the standard gauge rolling stock used on the coastal Beirut to Nakoura and Beirut to Tripoli lines including the commuter service between Dora and Jbei.

Point of Interest on the coastal NBT line included:

Line North from Beirut

Dora - Petrol terminals

Jbeil - Commuter Service 

Jounieh - Zouk Mkayel power plant

Chekka - Cement Factories

Line South from Beirut

Jiyeh - Ra’s en-Nabi Younés power plant 

Zahraini - ARAMCO Refinery

I will be modelling part of the standard gauge NBT Line in and around Dora (or Dowra as it’s sometimes called) in the Eastern Suburbs of Beirut

The Map below gives a better over view of where the layout is situated: Arret PN Dora

1950.jpg.c8891b4462e3ad1503d520935f0c927d.jpg

There was a station at the Port too and the line from Gare NBT (Furn El Shebback) was dual gauge to the port. The standard gauge line being connected to the port with a side line that passed through Mar Mikhael Station, narrow gauge shops and yard.

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Now, hopefully we are at the stage where we can focus in on the area of Dora and lift some kind of prototype track plan to use….

If only……as you can imagine information is fairly limited and difficult to get hold of, mainly due to the 15 year Civil War and subsequent abandonment of the railway system. The best I could do is this section taken from a map of Beirut made by the Central Intelligence Agency around 1978:

Dowra1978.png.3fc8df77ad0783bd83f39207292a079b.png

These are the industries I hope to include but will obviously need to be finalised during the build:

PN Dora – Passenger Stop

Orient Pipe Factory

Oil Company – CalTex (TBC)

Cortas Manufacturing Company (Canning & Refrigeration)

Oil Company - Total (TBC)

Almaza Brewery & Malt Company (TBC)

Exchange Spur for Port Traffic including Cement

I am going to be using Switch List to operate the Layout and the above translates to the following in that app:

Screenshot2023-09-28at14_58_46.png.fc58c2774834427cf592f18fe40fd151.png

I haven’t finalised the rolling stock yet hence the vague names for each wagon etc

Switch List: https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/switchlist/id550383737?mt=12

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Here’s some early construction photos:

-       Test Fitting the backscene

-       Checking some early building placements at the back of the layout

-       Deciding on the lighting

The blue tape is the base board join and the connects the second board which will have the staging on it (far right out of shot)

Warm LEDs

IMG_1494.jpg.71e43c4d304b3d9e460eea61c0925128.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg.794b4cf62eba33d5804a9be39fa9cedf.jpg

I decided in the end that they are just too orange.......

Daylight LEDs

IMG_1500.jpg

I decided that these are my best option for the time being but I am going to revisit when the layout is finished as I am not 100% happy with them.

A few of things to address:

-       Curve at the front on the layout needs to be more gentle

-       Lights are causing shadow at the front of the layout

-       More light to be added when layout finished?

-       Baseboard join is going to be a pain

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 11

On 04/10/2023 at 04:26, EmuModel said:

Wow, great idea for a layout, will definitely be following this one. I've been researching the nearby DHP-Hejaz narrow gauge railway for years to do an early 1900's era layout/diorama.  

Thank you

I would like to include a representation of the narrow gauge railway from Beirut to Damascus but realistically, I think I may be trying to cram too much into my small space (Layout is 75 inches by 21.5 inches) .....the track was shut down 2 years after the start of the civil war 1975-1990 so would only need to include a short stretch of destroyed track....but even so......TBC

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What a great layout idea - my late dad worked for Westinghouse and used to visit Beirut quite a lot for business before it all imploded. As I recall he said it had been his favourite place in  the Middle East.

I can think of a small high quality model railway show just down the road from you that would definitely give this top star billing!

For myself I'm still fiddling with trains in my garden - the cat poo menace....

I look forward to watching your progress whatever you do next!

Simon 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

What a great layout idea - my late dad worked for Westinghouse and used to visit Beirut quite a lot for business before it all imploded. As I recall he said it had been his favourite place in  the Middle East.

I can think of a small high quality model railway show just down the road from you that would definitely give this top star billing!

For myself I'm still fiddling with trains in my garden - the cat poo menace....

I look forward to watching your progress whatever you do next!

Simon 

Thanks Simon

Yes, Beirut before the war was often referred to as the "Paris of the Middle East"

Not sure if its a little too eclectic choice for RMweb though......

Yes, I had a chat with Jerry at LARKRAIL 2023 and promised I would have something ready for next year!

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1

I definitely like the multiple exits from the scenic section and the way that industrial tracks exit behind structures. My only queries are; whether the Beirut  Port interchange track will enter the fiddle yard, and whether the curve on the Orient Pipe factory spur may be a bit tight for coupling into wagons that are on that track.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A really interesting scheme however you look at it.

I don't think it's too eclectic for RMweb, it is at least in one of the smaller scales and there are clearly several people here interested in what you are doing. RMweb, although largely inhabited by fierce tribes of ready to runners, has lots and lots of little oases of individuality and creativity about the place.

You are right about Paris of the Middle East, that rings a bell with what was said all those years ago. All more than a bit poignant given the way the World has since gone, but a fine and worthy subject for a model railway nonetheless.

The Hedjaz Railway fascinates me too, which I appreciate is a different subject.

Matt, it will be an absolute privilege to have it as part of next year's small show down the hill if you are able to join us, I do hope that you do!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I really like the look of that.  Something very different, full marks for having a go at it.  

You have made a cracking start, that backscene looks fantastic and the damaged buildings are making me want a 3d printer. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, doctor quinn said:

I definitely like the multiple exits from the scenic section and the way that industrial tracks exit behind structures. My only queries are; whether the Beirut  Port interchange track will enter the fiddle yard, and whether the curve on the Orient Pipe factory spur may be a bit tight for coupling into wagons that are on that track.

Thanks for your comment

My initial thoughts were the same as yours: that I envisaged the Interchange Track as extending into the fiddle yard so I could cycle wagons on/off etc but this proved impossible as fiddle yard baseboard is just not wide enough......

Another reason .....next time, why I would not re use baseboards (from a previous layout).....and as mentioned before the baseboard join in the layout would have been better where the fiddle yard begins rather some just random point in the scenic board! But I guess thats what you get from being brought up in the North!

I am aiming for the curve track at Orient Pipe to be around 22" so I am hoping that this precludes any problems for couplings!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

A really interesting scheme however you look at it.

I don't think it's too eclectic for RMweb, it is at least in one of the smaller scales and there are clearly several people here interested in what you are doing. RMweb, although largely inhabited by fierce tribes of ready to runners, has lots and lots of little oases of individuality and creativity about the place.

You are right about Paris of the Middle East, that rings a bell with what was said all those years ago. All more than a bit poignant given the way the World has since gone, but a fine and worthy subject for a model railway nonetheless.

The Hedjaz Railway fascinates me too, which I appreciate is a different subject.

Matt, it will be an absolute privilege to have it as part of next year's small show down the hill if you are able to join us, I do hope that you do!

Thanks Simon, it will be a privilege to be part of the exhibition.

When I saw Jerry I explained I had no rolling stock or engines! I have rolling stock now which is slowly being painted and weathered. Motive Power is proving more difficult as the Piko PKP loco SP45 is just not coming up on Ebay..........but I am sure it will soon.

Screenshot2023-10-10at11_55_02.png.03dc06a30b7eafd617d5718b73eb0b19.png

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

The backscene is so dramatic - a work of art in its own right.

Thank you for the kind comment

Hopefully not "too dramatic" that it distracts from the modelling......

It is actually a Panorama photo of Beirut that I found via Google/Flckr/Shutterstock etc

It is printed on 1mm PVC Board (Foamex) which is flexible enough to be curved for coved corners and sturdy enough to stand vertical in its own right

Here it is in all its glory:

Screenshot2023-10-10at12_01_29.png.ea2de09106090582d087d8033c43b36d.png

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Dave John said:

I really like the look of that.  Something very different, full marks for having a go at it.  

You have made a cracking start, that backscene looks fantastic and the damaged buildings are making me want a 3d printer. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement

As far as I can see there a 3 distinct style of architecture in Beirut that I am trying to include in my layout (I suppose there is an unofficial 4th..... if you include bombed out/damaged/destroyed buildings too)

60s/70s

furn-el-chebbak-larrivc3a9ecopy.jpg.af184e82e157398c83a3d88964677214.jpg

Classic French

Screenshot2023-10-10at12_13_10.png.442276f640672d58942ec1ceb8468f84.png

Middle Eastern

18011027_1676107662416700_2107027373220345149_n.jpg.005f7150ce98e76e23146dcddf5d0bd1.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Some more photos of building positioning and also test fitting the track plan :

IMG_1518.jpg.989baa2b021d4b3fe4588a3891959a44.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg.55df667b101cd9e9476d67a05ac68fc7.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg.58178b5f805c199dcf46737d331e1355.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg.79c9dca7b315f1f10f441bf9819080a5.jpg

This is the initial track plan that I am working from:

Screenshot2023-10-09at13_07_13.png.947520cc51352fe05cf68a94d8d5d5d1.png

Any feedback is welcome........

Every now and then someone comes along and widens our horizon. So much rich ambience in this already. I'm hooked!

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

On 10/10/2023 at 12:26, Mikkel said:

Every now and then someone comes along and widens our horizon. So much rich ambience in this already. I'm hooked!

Thanks for the compliment.....

Atmosphere! Atmosphere! Atmosphere! 

For me the most important objective for any model railway!

On the flip side, I can only mess it up from here then?

Some more "Ambience" that I would like to include:

Phibly-Text-2.jpg.8a2aae8139402b2e1d1f00173b809bdd.jpg

The apartment of the infamous double agent Kim Philby in the Qantari District. 

"On a stormy night in January 1963, Kim Philby, a charming Englishman with a tendency to stutter, failed to meet his wife at a dinner party in Beirut and instead defected to the Soviet Union. It was the end of a unique career, which at one time had seen this long term double agent rise to become head of the anti-Soviet section of MI6."

More here:

http:// https://carnegie-mec.org/diwan/80058

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1