O Gauge Platforms

Hello everyone! 

I am currently planning an O gauge model railway. This will be my very first layout. It will only be a small O gauge layout but will be modular so can be extended in the future when space & finances allow. 

I am planning it to be modern image and mostly running DMU units such as the recently announced Heljan class 153. 

I would like to have a small platform (long enough for a 2 coach DMU) in like a southern style. Does anyone know of any good manufacturers of O gauge platform edges?

Watch the platform height, most modellers make them too high,  They should be a maximum of 3 scale feet  21mm in 0 for passenger platforms or the outward opening doors won't open.  Bays and goods platforms are / were often 3ft 6" and passenger stock and passenger coach based full brakes doors wouldn't open.

Buffer heights are 3ft 5" approx so make sure the platforms are lower than the buffer shanks if you want it to look right.   I made mine too high and putting it right is a real PITA.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would tend to go for platform edging only, as opposed to a complete kit. That way, you can make a curved platform if required, as the edging will be flexible. I made this one using the sections from 422 Models:

https://www.422modelmaking.co.uk/platforms

The sections go together seamlessly, and the faces are supported by blocks of extruded polystyrene cut to shape. It's on a gentle curve (not really visible from the photo). 

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 22.15.16.png

• Like 1