Ringfield Motors

Have you considered replacing the 3-pole with a CD-ROM motor instead? There are plenty of YouTube tutorials (& RMWeb postings) on the subject, and the 'tricks' you need to know. I've done quite a few myself (both Hornby & Lima) and have been pleased with the smooth (& slow) running results.

Ian

Hi,

I concur with ISW. I have swapped out quite a few old Ringfield motors in both Lima and Hornby locos. This where I have got most of my replacement motors from.

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product-tag/cd-motor/

This video from 00Bill on Youtube shows you just how easy it is and the upgrade in running you get.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

This where I have got most of my replacement motors from.

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product-tag/cd-motor/

Mine came off AliExpress, and were consequently much cheaper (~£2 each). The Batch I have details for came from 'Sourcing Map' in Hong Kong back in 2017. I've order twice more since from AliExpress with different suppliers without problem. However, Strathpeffer does provide a nifty 3D printed 'spacer' to properly install the CD-ROM motor, whereas I used 'eyeball alignment' and hot melt glue!

Don't forget that you also need to purchase the 8-tooth plastic cog to fit on the CD-ROM motor.

Ian

1 hour ago, ISW said:

Mine came off AliExpress, and were consequently much cheaper (~£2 each). The Batch I have details for came from 'Sourcing Map' in Hong Kong back in 2017. I've order twice more since from AliExpress with different suppliers without problem. However, Strathpeffer does provide a nifty 3D printed 'spacer' to properly install the CD-ROM motor, whereas I used 'eyeball alignment' and hot melt glue!

Don't forget that you also need to purchase the 8-tooth plastic cog to fit on the CD-ROM motor.

Ian

Hi Ian,

With the Straphpeffer motors you get all that as part of the kit.

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Ian,

With the Straphpeffer motors you get all that as part of the kit.

I've had a couple of his kits. They're nicely thought out, not too expensive and he does a video tutorial on how to fit them. Worth supporting.