Accurascale class 37 with ESU's own Hi-Fi sound file - lights not working

SRman

I recently had a LokSound failure from the faulty batch. It was installed in an Accurascale class 37/0 (37 026), and I had legomanbiffo's class 37/0 West Highland sound file on it. Bif had set it up to work correctly with the Accurascale locomotive, of course, but when the decoder failed, I returned it under warraty to Buckambool Model Trains where it had been bought from only a few weeks ago. Bif is going to send me a new file locked to the replacement decoder's serial number under his warranty conditions. So far, so good.

While awaiting the return of decoder, I bought a couple more LokSounds, and have installed the class 37 sounds from ESU's own library of sounds. The sounds are pretty good, but not one single light is working on 37 026 with this project. I have had a look at the function mapping with the LokProgrammer software, and even tried reallocating different auxiliaries to the lighting functions, all to no avail.

The locomotive dip switches are set for ESU (1 and 3 are on).

While I have only intended the ESU files to be temporary, it has frustrated me a bit that I can't see why the lights are non-operative.

Has anyone else tried the ESU files in an Accurascale class 37s, and if so, were you able to fix the problems?

Note: the photo shows 37 026 while it still had the original working LokSound installed, so the lights are working in this one.

20230908_132305.jpg

On a whim, I decided to reverse the dip switch positions (2, 4, 5, & 6 are now selected), so it is now set for the non-ESU decoders, and the head and tail lights now work. I haven't got the centre headlight working yet, but this is promising progress!

Well, it looks like I have solved my own problem with that dip switch swap over. I have now been able to program the correct light outputs for the various lights in the Accurascale model.

I have, for the time being, put the Scottish headlights on F0 with the main marker lights, but it will now be easy to reallocate them to a separate function if I so wish. The cab lights are now working directionally on F21, and the engine room lights come on with F17 (as per the other models), with a few tweaks to the function mapping. 

I tried to get the sensor to work with the flange squeal without success, but I really don't care too much about that.

The ESU sounds are really quite good, so I have saved the modified file for future use in another 37/0 or 37/3. I did note a little distortion at the default volume (which was set at the full level of 192 in CV63), but in my saved file I have set it at 125 so I don't have to keep resetting it every time I reload the file after further tweaks.

Overall, I would call it a success, now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SRman said:

I recently had a LokSound failure from the faulty batch. It was installed in an Accurascale class 37/0 (37 026), and I had legomanbiffo's class 37/0 West Highland sound file on it. Bif had set it up to work correctly with the Accurascale locomotive, of course, but when the decoder failed, I returned it under warraty to Buckambool Model Trains where it had been bought from only a few weeks ago. Bif is going to send me a new file locked to the replacement decoder's serial number under his warranty conditions. So far, so good.

While awaiting the return of decoder, I bought a couple more LokSounds, and have installed the class 37 sounds from ESU's own library of sounds. The sounds are pretty good, but not one single light is working on 37 026 with this project. I have had a look at the function mapping with the LokProgrammer software, and even tried reallocating different auxiliaries to the lighting functions, all to no avail.

The locomotive dip switches are set for ESU (1 and 3 are on).

While I have only intended the ESU files to be temporary, it has frustrated me a bit that I can't see why the lights are non-operative.

Has anyone else tried the ESU files in an Accurascale class 37s, and if so, were you able to fix the problems?

Note: the photo shows 37 026 while it still had the original working LokSound installed, so the lights are working in this one.

Interestingly, I had the same issue when I loaded the ESU files. I spent ages trying to work through the CVs to see what was doing it. The decoder lights worked in the tester just not the loco! I didn't change the DIP switches (didn't even consider it!!). However, I did read the CVs from an Accurascale sound chip and saved them. I then loaded those CVs to the ESU project chip and the lights worked - I did, however, then have to go back through and change all the function mapping as the sound slots were different, and the speed settings, volumes etc...... I still can't work out what caused it. But, I did save my settings so I can just load them in to a new chip in the future! Oh, and the flange squeal works.

Edited by LMSfan72
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, SRman said:

Well, it looks like I have solved my own problem with that dip switch swap over. I have now been able to program the correct light outputs for the various lights in the Accurascale model.

There are different versions of the LokSound V5 decoders with the MTC-21 pin connection.    They have different "logic level" vs "full power" function outputs.     I'd guess that was your problem with the DIP switches, though without knowing the exact model numbers of decoders you have used, its hard to be sure.  

"LokSound V5" has one arrangement.   "LokSound V5 DCC" has a different arrangement.    There are other small differences as well, such as how the speed curve works and how the acceleration/deceleration values are calculated.  
(There's also a LokSound V5 MKL, for Marklin's odd-ball arrangements.  In these matters, its similar to the "LokSound V5 DCC" for function outputs, but similar to the "LokSound V5" for speed/acceleration.).  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

"LokSound V5" has one arrangement.   "LokSound V5 DCC" has a different arrangement.  

There are only 3 versions of the 21 pin chip and only the MKL version has different function outputs to the other two; from the manual:

"For Decoder 58449 AUX3, AUX4 @ 21MTC interface are powered outputs. For Decoder 58419, 58429 AUX3, AUX4 @ 21MTC interface are Logic level outputs"

I certainly use the Loksound V5 and the V5DCC version interchangeably from a function perspective

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, LMSfan72 said:

There are only 3 versions of the 21 pin chip and only the MKL version has different function outputs to the other two; from the manual:

"For Decoder 58449 AUX3, AUX4 @ 21MTC interface are powered outputs. For Decoder 58419, 58429 AUX3, AUX4 @ 21MTC interface are Logic level outputs"

I certainly use the Loksound V5 and the V5DCC version interchangeably from a function perspective

Yes,  you're correct,   I misread the manual and version numbers.  

7 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Likewise, I have been using V5 DCC (58429) and the full fat V5 interchangeably - the DCC only version is less expensive. That makes the dip switch reversal all the more puzzling, but it doesn't matter too much because it is all working as it should now.

Like you, I save set ups that work for future use, using variations on the file names so I can refer back to the original if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 37026 and all of the lights have stopped working on DC.  

I have 6 Accurascale 37s and found that 3 of mine (37026, 37409 and 97301) had the dip switches set to the ‘For operation with a non ESU decoder’ at purchase.

I use Gaugemaster handheld feedback DC controllers.  When the lights on 37026 stopped, I set the dip switches to ‘For operation with the DCC blanking plate’ position.  The lights on 37409 and 97301 still work but not on 37026.

I attach a photo.

IMG_3386.jpeg.da0785b2a6c9ba8d6ea62cf3849e5617.jpeg

I have swapped the blanking plug but still the lights on 37026 don’t work.

As the loco is an eBay purchase, I can’t return it to Accurascale.

I know that this isn’t a DCC issue as such but the problem is similar to those encountered by SRman.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  

Regards,

Andrew