National Coal Board Red - suggestions wanted

20 hours ago, Steven B said:

Can anyone suggest a shade of red for use on NCB internal user wagons?

Something in a rattle can would be easiest.

P

(Gordon Edgar on Flickr)

Steven B.

I used a BR red from the 1980/90s from Precision Paint as the base colour for my dirt cans. From memory, the red varied a lot by region and weathering. If you cannot find a rattle can off the shelf in your local store,.an automotive paint supplier canake one up for you. Just take a good colour photograph to give them a clue. Cost should be around 15 pounds.

Definitely not red primer. That is good for bauxite,.not the NCB.

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, doilum said:

I used a BR red from the 1980/90s from Precision Paint as the base colour for my dirt cans. From memory, the red varied a lot by region and weathering. If you cannot find a rattle can off the shelf in your local store,.an automotive paint supplier canake one up for you. Just take a good colour photograph to give them a clue. Cost should be around 15 pounds.

Definitely not red primer. That is good for bauxite,.not the NCB.

I did say red OXIDE primer; many red primers are now much more of a crimson, but I assumed that red oxide implied the traditional, more orange shade that all red oxide primers were.

They are still available, if you don't grab the first red primer you see on the shelf.

Having seen many, many NCB wagons around NE collieries, I formed the opinion that they were painted with red oxide paint - as were many PO wagons.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

I'm planning a trip to Games Workshop - Citadel Mephiston Red or Army Painter Pure Red look like good starting points.

Steven B.

IMHO, both of those are too crimson.

My recollection is of something with rather more orange in it.

CJI.

My point is NOT bauxite. I agree there are a variety of red primers. Having been born and raised in Area 8 ,red mineral wagons were the exception. The shades varied greatly. Wooden wagons seemed to appear almost crimson where as the steel wagons were much lighter, very similar to the now unavailable red lead undercoat paint.

Whatever shade they started out with it didn't stay clean very long . The key to authentic NCB wagons is the weathering and application of correct lettering and numbers for your chosen area.

My approach to painting the locomotives was to have a rattle can custom mixed. The result is very close to the shade chosen for the RTR models now available.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've got some P7 hoppers to finish off (still got black iron work to paint), but I'm quite pleased with the repaints I've recently finished using Dapol 21t hoppers and minerals.

I started with a coat of Halfords red primer followed by Humbrol gloss "Italian Red" (#220). The photo below makes them look a little brown, and perhaps should be a little more orange in shade but I'm happy with them. They look the part behind a NCB loco which is what matters to me!

NCB.JPG.dba8d5c52e1e431e9ea28c75c134111f.JPG

Loco is an EFE Hunslet austerity and they're sat on a T-TRAK module belonging to a member of the NGS's Yorkshire Area Group.

Steven B.