Old works photos........

Looking at the thread on Caerphilly shed, (works), made me wonder if anyone knows of a source of photos of other works, ones that not everyone visited. Worcester and Melton Constable sprang to mind, but there would be others of interest: Inverurie, Darlington, Stratford, etc.

Any pointers gladly received.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the thread on Caerphilly shed, (works), made me wonder if anyone knows of a source of photos of other works, ones that not everyone visited. Worcester and Melton Constable sprang to mind, but there would be others of interest: Inverurie, Darlington, Stratford, etc.

Any pointers gladly received.

They'd be some rather old pics if they showed the loco works at Worcester - i wonder if there are any?

• RMweb Premium

They'd be some rather old pics if they showed the loco works at Worcester - i wonder if there are any?

There are three photographs of Worcester works in Bob Pixton Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton part 2 (available cheaper than Amazon in some remaindered bookshops). Two are credited to Kidderminster Railway Museum, so I wonder if they might have more in their collection?

• RMweb Gold

There are three photographs of Worcester works in Bob Pixton Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton part 2 (available cheaper than Amazon in some remaindered bookshops). Two are credited to Kidderminster Railway Museum, so I wonder if they might have more in their collection?

Interesting. I have seen an exterior view (in part of a more general view of the area) but was taken, I would think, about 1900-10 so was after the works ceased to deal with locos and became the sheet works/stores.

BTW does the book have decent quality illustrations? I'e not come across it before so would be keen to buy if the quality is up to scratch.

I'd be interested in anything of Darlington North Road, particularly Stooperdale Boiler shop, the adjacent new Paint shop and traverser or Faverdale wagon works. "Steam Motive Power centres Darlington" (David Dunn, Book Law) covers some of the main works site but nothing of those areas.

• RMweb Premium

Does the book have decent quality illustrations? I'e not come across it before so would be keen to buy if the quality is up to scratch.

They're quite good, but the book's thin (only about 100 pages). I wouldn't pay full price for it.

I didn't realise Worcester closed so long ago. I was thinking back to an old shed directory which still gave directions to the works. It also mentioned Melton Constable, which fascinated me; a small town like that with a shed AND a works?

Plus it mentioned the old and new works at Stratford.

Archived