2 mile 1-in-100 gradiant climb from Box Station - which banker locos & which workings needed them?

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Are you talking about south Africa? Bankers were in use in this country until the end of steam.

SR W cl 262T 31912 Exeter Central 10 8 1963.jpg

BtoB07  Jinty 0 6 0T banking on Norton Bank 16 5 59.jpg

94XX 060PTs banking on the Lickey 26 4 1962.jpg

I remember from one of those Railway Roundabouts films that the LMS men didn't really like the GWR engines (I think in particular the 42xx 2-8-0 class) and preferred their Jintys as bankers. 

Edited by OnTheBranchline

12 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Yup. I am disappointed that so few enthusiasts in Britian seem to care or even know about these fantastic machines made in Manchester.

Some of Britain's finest engineering achievements. 

Yawn. I would like to see how one of those would cope with the Mersey Tunnel's 1 in 27 gradient! Preserve of small tank engines that could easily do it.

I would also like one of those Garratts pulling an express non stop from London to Glasgow with 20 plus carriages without a banker. Reaching speeds of over 100 MPH and over 3000HP measured at the cylinders (official with Dynamometer Car). That's 400 miles BTW.

Duchesses could do that with ease. 

BTW Rocket could manage over 30 MPH with a loaded train, so the journey to Manchester took about an hour if you dismiss the water stop needed due to it's small water capacity. Not much longer than it takes now with modern EMUs.

Maybe do the research before belittling Britain.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I remember from one of those Railway Roundabouts films that the LMS men didn't really like the GWR engines (I think in particular the 42xx 2-8-0 class) and preferred their Jintys as bankers. 

This is almost standard procedure wherever new engines were introduced or trialled.  The crews worked the engines on specific turns, banking at Bromsgrove with Jinties as backup for Big Bertha for many years.  They got accustomed to each job's requirments, where and how to change regulator settings, the reverser, where and how much to fire, where and when the loco would need water injecting into the boiler, sometimes to prevent blowing off at the safety valves which was a waste of steam, where to shut off steam, when and how hard to apply brakes, all the constant activity that takes place on a steam locomotive footplate.  Day in, day out, the job got refined and the best results obtained using the minimum amount of coal, water, and fireman's sweat.  And everybody got to go home on time.

Then, some fule com along and decide that a 42xx is more powerful than a Jinty, brilliant banking heavy iron ore trains at Aberbeeg, arranges for some to be sent up to Bromsgrove, and expects the men to be happier with their big new engines.  Hmm.  A 42xx is a quite different propostion to a Jinty, and all that day-in-day-out stuff would have to be re-learned from scratch, mistakes in the process not endearing the new engines.  42xx were driven from the right hand side of the cab, and the cab was not particularly roomy, so the firemen had to be careful about what they hit with the shovel (especially if it was the driver). And the firebox was longer and needed a differnt technique.  No wonder they preferred Jinties! 

They ended up with 94xx, which had a lot of the 'drawbacks' (as the Midland men would have regarded normal GWR practice) of the 42xx, but had them long enough to work out the wrinkles and get used to them.  They rated them as 1 and a half Jinties, quite a complement.  Then they got Hymeks, and anyone who is given a Hymek to play with for 8 hours and paid for it is a very fortunate man indeed, pocket rockets with comfy, quiet, cabs.

Loco crew are intrinsically small c conservative, and once they have sorted out the best way to do a job will prefer to continue to do it exactly that way with exactly that equipment.  They don't like change, but they love to complain about it to anyone who will listen...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Loco crew are intrinsically small c conservative, and once they have sorted out the best way to do a job will prefer to continue to do it exactly that way with exactly that equipment.  They don't like change, but they love to complain about it to anyone who will listen...

There is a lot to be said for that in something as complicated as the railways, especially when safety is concerned.

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe do the research before belittling Britain.

I am doing the opposite.

I am celebrating British achievement.

I just think it's a pity that British railway achievements overseas aren't celebrated more.

Aren't these beauties? (The first loco was built by Kitson in 1855 is said to be the world's oldest working steam loco in service ... I'm not sure I like the paint job, though)

image.png.7ca7fd55cedc1f7006b7a4912bcf9afe.png

image.png.02c6d1e7acf89d032cf56b09cbe8bdba.png

image.png.71f012032c1ee6d5a84d190b81d2f8cb.png

• RMweb Gold

Good point about the tanks.  Practice at Aberbeeg was to couple the banker in rear, which then acted as the train engine on the return leg down the bank while the original train engine acted as a steam-powered brake van.  Saved shunting and running around at Ebbw Vale steelworks, but no help at Bromsgrove where bankers were not attached and dropped off at Blackwell while the trains they’d banked disappeared into the wide blue yonder, or Birmingham as some call it…  

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

I just think it's a pity that British railway achievements overseas aren't celebrated more

The North British works in Glasgow are tarred with the poor reputation of their diesels but prior to that built hundreds of steam locos for export.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... not to mention hundreds of our favourite domestic locos !

I must admit I wasn't sure which/how many British locos there were but I was more aware of the exports.

Probably from seeing many of the famous photos of the latest locomotive for South Africa or wherever, set up on a plinth in George Square or wherever.

Edited by keefer