LNER/LMS 25t Machine Wagon LOWMAC in OO

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Very impressive model. Has anyone managed to remove the tension lock coupler? I can’t see how to do it without cutting it off at the flexible mount.

Great question will plenty of head scratching on my behalf this weekend.

IMG_1050.jpeg.6414d2962015c531bc411a8f1f24d447.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Why on earth would they not provide an NEM socket, I use magnetic couplers on all my stock and will need to some up with something to solve this issue, that is if I can even get the coupler out without breaking par of the underframe which looks an issue on first attempt

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, LongRail said:

Why on earth would they not provide an NEM socket, I use magnetic couplers on all my stock and will need to some up with something to solve this issue, that is if I can even get the coupler out without breaking par of the underframe which looks an issue on first attempt

So, what - if anything- is released by the removal of the two screw behind the headstocks?

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, John Isherwood said:

So, what - if anything- is released by the removal of the two screw behind the headstocks?

CJI.

I've done that and nothing budged and I didn't want to force something a break the lovely brake gear Rapido have supplied.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Max Legroom said:

Very impressive model. Has anyone managed to remove the tension lock coupler? I can’t see how to do it without cutting it off at the flexible mount.

Possibly a question that's best asked by email to their customer support address, as supplied with the model.

(And then post the answer here when you get it!)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, LongRail said:

Why on earth would they not provide an NEM socket

I think that, looking at the underside, the reason is clear - limited clearance. There are some wagon designs where the usual socket arrangement won't work, and the Lowmac's floor sloping down immediately behind the bufferbeams creates one of those scenarios where a bespoke coupling attachment is necessary. Even so I suspect the couplings still project a little further than we (including Rapido) would prefer.....

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, LongRail said:

I suspect that this post from the thread about the similar Loriot wagon answers this question, and provides more detail about the NEM standard that it still meets:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/168973-gwr-loriot-y/page/5/#comment-5221914

Essentially though, there's no space for a socket on this prototype.

Edited by BluenGreyAnorak
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Obadiah said:

Wow, after comparing the new Lomac to the old K's version, in other words about four and a half pounds of white metal, you realise just how far we've come in the last fifty odd years!

Somewhere in one of the boxes in the garage I have a scratchbuilt lowmac. I was, at the time, quite proud of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In that case I'm not buying one, undoing 2 screws, that's modelling, not for me sir!

Mike.

Problem is, access to the screws is blocked by the crossbars of the brake yokes, so it's not quite that simple....

I'll get it done, probably using a  30-series Kadee, or a bodged #20 using the screw provided or a longer one with a similar thread.

However, I'm still pondering how to do it without losing half the brake detail.

Anybody know if the yokes unclip?

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Problem is, access to the screws is blocked by the crossbars of the brake yokes, so it's not quite that simple....

I'll get it done, but I'm still pondering how to do it!

Jeweller's screwdriver - at a slight angle.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'll get it done, but I'm still pondering how to do it!

As per the thread linked above by @BluenGreyAnorak, these appear to be NEM 363 fittings, which are specifically designed for cases where there isn't enough space for the standard NEM 362 fittings (the ones we typically refer to as "NEM pockets"). So you shouldn't need to unscrew anything to get them off, it is still a form of clip fitting.

I have no idea how to remove an NEM 363 coupling, though, and I can't work it out even after looking at them closely. This is the sort of thing where a YouTuber could possibly do a helpful video - I imagine there's some kind of knack to it that isn't immediately obvious. But, also, I would expect Rapido's customer support to be able to offer advice. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

As per the thread linked above by @BluenGreyAnorak, these appear to be NEM 363 fittings, which are specifically designed for cases where there isn't enough space for the standard NEM 362 fittings (the ones we typically refer to as "NEM pockets"). So you shouldn't need to unscrew anything to get them off, it is still a form of clip fitting.

I have no idea how to remove an NEM 363 coupling, though, and I can't work it out even after looking at them closely. This is the sort of thing where a YouTuber could possibly do a helpful video - I imagine there's some kind of knack to it that isn't immediately obvious. But, also, I would expect Rapido's customer support to be able to offer advice. 

The couplings should come out of the mount simply enough, though I've not tried to yet.

My problem is that I'll need the mount gone to make room for whatever I devise to replace it!

I could have a pair of Whisker Kadees on it inside an hour, but at the cost of more collateral damage than I'm willing to accept.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

See

I still think that the solution for removing the existing coupling is to remove the mounting screws.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The couplings should come out of the mount simply enough, though I've not tried to yet.

There's no clearance between them and the crossbar. I wonder if the bar unclips at the nearest to the camera end ?

IMG_1050.jpeg.6414d2962015c531bc411a8f1f24d447.jpeg.47d1ad847a6030474dc3982177a2ca45.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

There's no clearance between them and the crossbar. I wonder if the bar unclips at the nearest to the camera end ?

I think that's doable so long as you don’t mind cutting the coupling away from its dovetail, then picking the latter out of the mount.

The alternative is to remove the crossbar (it doesn't appear to be a clip-fit) and reinstate it afterwards, and I'm (provisionally) OK with doing that.

The bit I don't like the look of is the yoke, which is in the way of what I think  I want to do and will.be difficult to make good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LongRail said:

No one has mentioned that it appears that they wanted to make some representation of the centrally mounted vacuum cylinder for those wanting to change to using proper couplings - Screw  see https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowmacep/e376b780e

Paul

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

There's still a need to wiggle the mount out past/through the brake details!

If only I had a quid for every bit of wiggling undertaken during 65 years of modelling!

With a subject such as the LOWMAC, some intricate disposition of detail was inevitable.

There is always the option of the Hornby Dublo / Wrenn version for those who prefer not to wiggle.

John Isherwood.

43 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

No one has mentioned that it appears that they wanted to make some representation of the centrally mounted vacuum cylinder for those wanting to change to using proper couplings - Screw  see https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowmacep/e376b780e

Paul

Except the cylinder is obscured by a square block of plastic

• Like 1

Cross bar comes out with the aid of a scalpel cutting off at both ends will have to glue back after I have solved how I solve the magnetic coupling issue. Sorry image is upside down tried correcting but it doesn’t want to rotate

IMG_2895.jpeg

Edited by LongRail
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, LongRail said:

Cross bar comes out with the aid of a scalpel cutting off at both ends will have to glue back after I have solved how I solve the magnetic coupling issue. Sorry image is upside down tried correcting but it doesn’t want to rotate

IMG_2895.jpeg

There you go @LongRail

IMG_2895.jpeg.fa736786a88a22788a7f1fe7c3e3bb60.jpeg.aa6c627d41b85df1756a683c542a03a1.jpeg

• Agree 1