USATC S160 in OO

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edge said:

‘Omaha’ has just been announced for the SVR steam gala. Think I may have to go for that if it’s produced in model form :)

although I’m a sucker for a made up livery, so one in BR Black will be mighty tempting too

I seem to remember reading years ago, that the Southern Railway asked for 40 S160’s in 1945/46 but the USATC said no.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree about the Longmoor Blue livery, id certainly be in the que to buy that.

I mainly model modern image and have built up a very healthy rake of Dapol Yeoman stone wagons.... now which one was it that was pulling stone trains at the last Merehead Quarry open day????? Whatever one it was, i will buy it, no ifs, no buts, i'll buy it!

• Like 1

On 26/08/2023 at 13:19, The Stationmaster said:

Now where are my 1975 photos of them in traffic in Poland I wonder?

Dunno, but here's one I took at Fushun coal mine in China on New Year's Eve 1984. When I got home and showed the photo to the late Derek Foster he said "I've got to get one of those" - and so KD6 463 aka USATC 5197 came to the U.K.

Ray.

D-84-18 KD6 478 Fushun mine 31.12.84.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Two pages and now nothing on the intended release date. I'm sure I saw somewhere that an update was due at the end of August, but "it's all quiet on the Western Front!" Anyone know what is happening?

Tod

Announced here at the end of August - what are you expecting after two months?

Are we to have demands for updates every few minutes?

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Two pages and now nothing on the intended release date. I'm sure I saw somewhere that an update was due at the end of August, but "it's all quiet on the Western Front!" Anyone know what is happening?

Tod

Given it was only in design when announced at the end of August and added in the amount of variations they could be designing/tooling for it could be a while yet.

• Like 1

S160-Front-1024x576.png

Always thought them odd-looking locos.  I think it's because the smokebox door isn't central, although of course it's not displaced as a far as a Shay.  I assume the boiler itself is normal and it's just a question of moving the door across slightly to make enough room for the Westinghouse pump.

I do want one, but I'm not sure what livery I want it in, though it won't be blue !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The offset smokebox door looks even weirder on the Hungarian ones where they did the usual Communist thing of painting red stars on them and moved the pump. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MÁV_Class_411

(You can take the entire smokebox front off to get the tubes out, in case anyone was wondering....)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/09/2023 at 17:04, Marshall5 said:

Dunno, but here's one I took at Fushun coal mine in China on New Year's Eve 1984. When I got home and showed the photo to the late Derek Foster he said "I've got to get one of those" - and so KD6 463 aka USATC 5197 came to the U.K.

Ray.

D-84-18 KD6 478 Fushun mine 31.12.84.jpg

Peter Clark's locomotive in China states that a minimum of fifteen S160s - CNR Class KD6 - were originally supplied and numbered 463 to 478+ (the + implying that there might have been more - the book dates from 1983 when concrete information was not easy to come by) and that by 1966 only two, the one in your photo and another, were still in traffic. That said I am convinced that I saw one shunting outside Jinan in 1998.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2023 at 12:12, papagolfjuliet said:

Peter Clark's locomotive in China states that a minimum of fifteen S160s - CNR Class KD6 - were originally supplied and numbered 463 to 478+ (the + implying that there might have been more - the book dates from 1983 when concrete information was not easy to come by) and that by 1966 only two, the one in your photo and another, were still in traffic. That said I am convinced that I saw one shunting outside Jinan in 1998.

The person most likely to know posts as "Huochemi" on National Preservation. He has recently written a book on Chinese locos which specifically includes a section on the KD6's.

Ray.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Something different at the bottom right of the firebox - no idea of what they are.

-------------

Will the wartime locos come with blackout curtains as all wartime ones would have used them at night ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If it's 'spot the difference' then here's 8 for starters:

- Tender cab

- Different shape boxes at the back of the coal space

- Device on the side of the smokebox - possibly a vac ejector?

- Dampers / covers?

- Type of air pump

- Step in main footplate

- Lamp irons

- Box in front of cab

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do I recall an article in Trains mag something over 20 years ago, in which they pictured a 160, I think on the K&WVR, captioned "Alco? Baldwin? Lima? Yes!" or something like that. They had found the loco to include parts from all three builders. Inevitably each builder will have used his own techniques and methods of construction, outside-supplier parts etc. so the locos will have had detail differences for that reason alone. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Does that mean the Rapido model will include parts from, perhaps, Accurascale and Ellis Clark assembled at random ??!? 🙄

Only if they do a WD 2-10-0. Then it will include parts from Bachmann (WD 2-8-0), Ellis Clark and KR models....

• Like 1