Manning Wardle 'L' Class 0-6-0

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2023 at 16:16, PaulRhB said:

Industrial layouts similarly are rarely based on exact prototypes so probably over 95% of the market won’t be bothered at all

On 27/08/2023 at 18:28, AY Mod said:

Otherwise we would be knee deep in Huntley and Palmer's biscuit works.

Absolutely! I never understand why so many people get so excited about what livery a RTR industrial is in. Take the latest round of frothing over the liveries on the new batch of Hattons Barclays. From the original batch, the CPC one seems to have been a favourite, so does that mean there are hundreds of CPC Trafford Park layouts out there? I've never seen one. It was the only loco ever in that livery and worked, as far as I know, only ever at the one location. I guarantee that the vast majority are running on any old layout, coupled to any old wagons, or even coaches and they probably share the same engine shed as Mallard, or Flying Scotsman.

Has anyone ever done Huntley & Palmers works? Or all those H&P Pecketts (the ones that aren't on ebay as RARE, for £199) also sharing a shed with the Mallard?

That said, please Rapido [Livery Froth] do Brookes Chemicals 1894 Nitro and 1895 Azo. [/Livery Froth] 😁

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

That said, please Rapido [Livery Froth] do Brookes Chemicals 1894 Nitro and 1895 Azo. [/Livery Froth]

I'll second that, yes please.

Attached photos taken from "Brookes' Industrial Railways" by S.A. Leleux,  Locomotion Papers No.36 published by The Oakwood Press 1972

azosilexnitro.JPG.f9478a87992cb578c2b73e13682da0e9.JPGazo.JPG.ac834201b6c8d798828359f4c1a120a1.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have always hoped for a RTR OO MW. I am glad this has been announced. All power to Rapido.

All things being equal, I would have opted for a K, as perhaps the commonest, almost archetypal MW class, but I will enthusiatically order the proffered Ls. The MW look is so distinctive and I think many industrial layouts will look better for having MW Ls among saddle tanks of more conventional and modern appearance. 

For one project I did want an L, but a Special L with larger wheels and little splashers for Light Railway work. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think this picture of my "Spitfire" built from the excellent John Dale kit shows the look and proportions of "standard" L quite well.

IMG_6875.jpg.8ef2883da79bb9e8f95c094139d94242.jpg

I still need to add the sandpipes, coal it up and apply weathering, but is a pleasing looking thing.

In my imagination, it was supplied to Robert Neville Grenville for use on the light railway that ran between Glastonbury and Butleigh, largely working around "Pomparles Siding" and the National Fruit and Cider Institute.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

On 07/09/2023 at 15:39, Ruston said:

Absolutely! I never understand why so many people get so excited about what livery a RTR industrial is in. Take the latest round of frothing over the liveries on the new batch of Hattons Barclays. From the original batch, the CPC one seems to have been a favourite, so does that mean there are hundreds of CPC Trafford Park layouts out there? I've never seen one. It was the only loco ever in that livery and worked, as far as I know, only ever at the one location. I guarantee that the vast majority are running on any old layout, coupled to any old wagons, or even coaches and they probably share the same engine shed as Mallard, or Flying Scotsman.

Has anyone ever done Huntley & Palmers works? Or all those H&P Pecketts (the ones that aren't on ebay as RARE, for £199) also sharing a shed with the Mallard?

That said, please Rapido [Livery Froth] do Brookes Chemicals 1894 Nitro and 1895 Azo. [/Livery Froth] 😁

So you can't have Flying Scotsman and the CPC Barclay together?

They were both present at this...

https://www.47soton.co.uk/2013/12/rocket-150-great-railway-exposition.html

You can just see the Barclay in the photo with the L&YR Saddletank, next to the Jinty. Still a working loco at the time and ended up on loan at the museum. Later sold on.

Jason

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Another possibility is Fashoda, used by contractor Scott & Middleton in the final stages of construction of the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway. I'm not 100% certain it's an L Class, but it looks like it.  

https://www.merseamuseum.org.uk/mmphoto.php?pid=CG17_001&ba=cke&rhit=100&ba2=cke&hit=1&rtyp=c&rtot=1&typ=owner&own=DJG_CAW&syn=all&rcol=MM

• Like 2

On 07/09/2023 at 16:39, Ruston said:

I agree and I've purposely gone for preserved industrials so that they can make "guest" appearances on my eventual Sheffield Park layout. Equally I'm doing a small Portland Cement works corner on my main layout. This is for both one certain 0-6-0 industrial that Hornby did and for all those lovely presflo and chemflos I have. 

• Like 2

I understand this, but it's also about choice. Part of the appeal of an industrial loco is the livery - they're not just BR Black or green with a choice 4 different running numbers. They add some variety to the largely uniform mainline liveries. Some of them have wasp stripes; to me these look awful on a steam loco, but they are clearly very popular (except for Hattons' Barclay as it was the last to sell out) and I've noticed that even people who aren't modelling industrial locations will often make an exception for an interesting industrial. 

Liveries like the Huntley and Palmers peckett don't appeal to me but they generate sales because people do like things that carry a recognised brand - just look at how well the awful Coca Cola and Beatles -liveried products sell for Hornby. I think it's a necessary evil.

I'm currently hoping Rapido do a model of 1601 Matthew Murray but I'll be easily swayed if there's a smart or more attractive livery that I think would enhance interest on my layout.

Please note - the above is not a dig or intended to 'tear a strip off' - just expressing an alternative viewpoint for balance.

On another note - do we have any rough timescale on the MWs? Given they've gone to tooling, is it possible to estimate a release date? I absolutely need one but also need to navigate an upcoming Mortgage Renewal and arrival of an additional small human into the family next year so need a plan to persuade my wife it's a sensible purchase!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexl102 said:

On another note - do we have any rough timescale on the MWs? Given they've gone to tooling, is it possible to estimate a release date? I absolutely need one but also need to navigate an upcoming Mortgage Renewal and arrival of an additional small human into the family next year so need a plan to persuade my wife it's a sensible purchase!

The Rapido website, not updated since the announcement a month and a half ago, says the model is in the final design phase. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we see it before 2025. Pure speculation, of course.

Congratulations on your impending additional small human.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, alexl102 said:

Liveries like the Huntley and Palmers peckett don't appeal to me but they generate sales because people do like things that carry a recognised brand - just look at how well the awful Coca Cola and Beatles -liveried products sell for Hornby. I think it's a necessary evil.

I was disappointed by the H&P livery as it didn't seem very biscuity at all.  I had been hoping for something more like this.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 11:14, alexl102 said:

I understand this, but it's also about choice. Part of the appeal of an industrial loco is the livery - they're not just BR Black or green with a choice 4 different running numbers. They add some variety to the largely uniform mainline liveries. Some of them have wasp stripes; to me these look awful on a steam loco, but they are clearly very popular (except for Hattons' Barclay as it was the last to sell out) and I've noticed that even people who aren't modelling industrial locations will often make an exception for an interesting industrial. 

I'm currently hoping Rapido do a model of 1601 Matthew Murray but I'll be easily swayed if there's a smart or more attractive livery that I think would enhance interest on my layout.

Please note - the above is not a dig or intended to 'tear a strip off' - just expressing an alternative viewpoint for balance.

The Huntley & Palmers livery was real though. I don't consider them as being the same market as Coca Cola or The Beatles.

Who is to say that private siding next to your mainline doesn't lead to a Huntley & Palmers factory (there was more than one) and the locomotive has been transferred from Reading?

Or that siding leads to a NCB colliery?

I'm certainly not a fan of "made up" locomotives and liveries. My pet hate is real life industrials masquerading as mainline locomotives (especially Austerities). But often I'll overlook it if they are looked after.

The problem with the "Little Barford" Barclay was it was BR Blue era as many people modelling BR probably don't want steam. Don't forget it was still running in the 1980s!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38621348@N07/24425614341

Jason

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2023 at 18:28, AY Mod said:

Otherwise we would be knee deep in Huntley and Palmer's biscuit works.

Has anyone ever done Huntley & Palmers works? 

I really must get on with mine. I built some proper wagons for it, not the Hornby toys.

Apologies if I've missed this, but how many Ls were built and over what time period?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I really must get on with mine. I built some proper wagons for it, not the Hornby toys.

Apologies if I've missed this, but how many Ls were built and over what time period?

Approximately 100 between 1875 and 1919.

Source: http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/locolist.asp [Builder] = MW AND [Class] = L Sort By [Year]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@alexl102 you could always do my trick, if you want something place some cash into an account for each of your future models each month.  Only do that if you don't have expensive loans as these are best paid off due to the costs.  Hope that your little person arrives ok.

Without digging deeply through the various volumes of Harman I bet that there are many of the specials and locos with different internal cylinders that could also be modelled 

Something that most might not expect is that the rear springs are above the cab floor.  You have to ensure you keep feet away from these whilst the loco is in motion as they move with rail joints. See yellow

image.png.7364f457e928902253e00674e1725c24.png

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3