Bridport Branch Line

KeithMacdonald

On 19/08/2023 at 17:36, KeithMacdonald said:

Bridport Harbour (West Bay)

Any ideas what the concrete blocks are for?

Terminus

One incarnation of the Station Cafe/Restaurant had a port-a-kabin type  toilet block mounted on these footings, they didn't get removed when the toilets were.

In this photo, the locomotive (4562) has previously pushed the Bridport branch train up an inclined siding and then withdrawn to the branch approach . Under the control of the guard the train has then rolled back into the platform bay. Once the carriages had come to a stop, the locomotive has rejoined the train for the next service to Bridport.

It would be interesting how to achieve the run-round shunt on a model?

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 1

Revisiting this thread after recently having holidayed in Bridport, a lovely small English town. A particular delight was finding the Wild & Homeless Bookshop on South Street, which has a fantastic selection of railway titles.

It occurs to me that the branch would have made an excellent preserved line, with its own independent access to the national network at Maiden Newton - Although with no run round loop the procedure with loco hauled trains would have been interesting - If still allowed!

Presumably the branch railcar would have had to go to Bristol for maintenance, and the same, or perhaps Westbury, for fuelling - Which can't have helped the line's economics. 

Thanks @KeithMacdonald for the posts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The owner of Powerstock station ran the place as a b&b; we stayed there for a couple of nights some 25 years ago, and very peaceful it was too. She had also written a book about the place, which we duly bought and got her to sign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Presumably the branch railcar would have had to go to Bristol for maintenance, and the same, or perhaps Westbury, for fuelling -

Weymouth until 67(ish) when the shed closed

Stu

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

The owner of Powerstock station ran the place as a b&b; we stayed there for a couple of nights some 25 years ago, and very peaceful it was too. She had also written a book about the place, which we duly bought and got her to sign.

Was that Diana Read?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerstock-Station-Diana-Patina-Read/dp/0952752204

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, caradoc said:

Revisiting this thread after recently having holidayed in Bridport, a lovely small English town. A particular delight was finding the Wild & Homeless Bookshop on South Street, which has a fantastic selection of railway titles.

As the owner of Wild & Homeless Books, I'm obviously glad you liked the shop. We also got a nice mention from Mike Spearing in the latest EMGS newsletter:

emgs.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DLT said:

My first reaction was "aha, that sounds interesting".

But 150 quid???  I might give it a miss at that price....

My reaction too!

So I tried (but failed) to find her B&B website, to contact her direct and ask if the book is still available from her.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

My reaction too!

So I tried (but failed) to find her B&B website, to contact her direct and ask if the book is still available from her.

Diana Read died sometime in 2021, she was in her 80s.

• Thanks 2