LNER/LMS 25t Machine Wagon 'LOWMAC' (was Another new teaser...)

greatcoleswoodhalt

• RMweb Gold

They say that elephants never forget, but apparently we do as last Saturday was World Elephant Day....

Some of you may have herd of this project already, but here's a teaser.

Clue: Not just restricted to trunk routes.

It's been a bit of a mammoth undertaking.

If you've managed to read this far without having to hide from the bad puns, congratulations.

image.png.b00c2c1ad670ebc5c018802c0dc098f6.png

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Crikey - mention of Jim Dorward. A genial, teetotal Scots civil engineer, he was my top boss when he was Planning Manager, later retitled Investment Manager, Southern Region. ISTR his farewell do was held on the Bluebell. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Just to make another wild guess - the GWR scenery vans were coded "MONSTER" and came in several versions.

Already mentioned above along with a picture of an elephant in one if you click this link!

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/518/going-loco-july-2022

🐘

No idea why Hornby never made a GWR NPCCS van a few years back when all the other railways got one. NPCCS seem to sell well.

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The solebar looks like part of an ex-parrot wagon (not a Norwegian blue, in this case) cable layer, but I can’t see a mammoth connection.

The parrots in question were built during WW2 for carrying aircraft parts, and would possibly be popular in that form, so maybe a two-mode model, original and converted forms.

Bit, I still don’t get mammoth, so if it what I suggest, that must be a red herring.

I wouldn't take the photos or clues as gospel.

Never did find out what the silhouette of "something" at New Street, then "something" at Chester a few years was....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2023 at 09:38, G-BOAF said:

Indeed.  But it might be a GWR Monster as they were also used for the carriage of elephants.  However on balance and thinking about Mr Hardy's prototype leanings I think the SR vehicle is probably more likely.

I withdraw my previous guess; not the right solebar.

Do this firm make either a weltrol or one of those GWR 4W low machinery wagons?

Our biggest (mammoth?) cable layer was built around a weltrol, and after I left I think the team had something, can’t recall what, mounted on one of those GWR wagons. Might it have been a concrete mixer and pump with a long flexible hose for casting transformer bases?

• Like 2