The next Accurascale steam loco in OO ???

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Do people really run their model trains, round and round ad infinitum, for 10 -15 minutes?

(It must be round and round; nobody has an end-to-end layout that long)!

Why???????

CJI.

I suppose we don't all have access to a Cathedral in a North Western city to set up a huge layout - 2 or 3 loops are the equivalent of perhaps 20 of mine, or 10-20 minutes' running time - by coincidence.

Personally, I have always loved the movement of trains circulating - and I'm not talking about speeds straight out of an animated cartoon, but between 40-65% power setting - locomotive, train, type permitting - whilst I'm either tinkering at the bench, painting, or working out on the gym equipment - that's how I operate, and have since I was 11, 52 years ago!

It does show how diverse operators, and applications of this hobby are.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Now look here.  They've just done a GWR engine.  Now it's somebody else's turn! 

Their next steam engine will not have a copper capped chimney.

OK, if not a pannier, how about a 22XX or a 14XX?

And surely all locos have copper-clad chimneys?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Do people really run their model trains, round and round ad infinitum, for 10 -15 minutes?

(It must be round and round; nobody has an end-to-end layout that long)!

Why???????

CJI.

Isn't it recommended that you run them in for 20 minutes one way and then 20 minutes the other?

That's what it used to say in the instructions anyway.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

Isn't it recommended that you run them in for 20 minutes one way and then 20 minutes the other?

That's what it used to say in the instructions anyway.

Jason

Indeed - but after that they should be run in for life.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Personally, I have always loved the movement of trains circulating - and I'm not talking about speeds straight out of an animated cartoon, but between 40-65% power setting - locomotive, train, type permitting - whilst I'm either tinkering at the bench, painting, or working out on the gym equipment - that's how I operate, and have since I was 11, 52 years ago!

It does show how diverse operators, and applications of this hobby are.

Al.

I'm the same.  When I operated "Wednesford" before it had to be dismantled for a house move I discovered I enjoyed setting a train up to run at a constant slow speed whilst I filmed it from different locations.  I had time to move and set up the camera whilst the train slowly ran through the fiddle yard.  I enjoyed it so much that the new garage based layout will be purposely designed around filming.  I suppose it comes from years of living next to the West Coast main line where trains are passing at high speed, but there is something very therapeutic in watching a train pass through scenery!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, 50025 said:

Just mentioning this again Fran 👍

ED73C6C3-00B9-454A-B91D-ECE55B1B08E5.jpeg

81D2BCD1-C5AE-4117-B552-3B161309983F.jpeg

A488687C-C12D-4C8E-B587-205CEBD9544B.jpeg

F3CB58A8-1043-4B5D-9723-EBA5137B906E.jpeg

Oooohhh  Hello !!!!

LMS maroon or LNWR Blackberry black - really doesn't matter.  That age old picture of "Queen of the Belgians" in Birmingham New St is memorable for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I'm the same.  When I operated "Wednesford" before it had to be dismantled for a house move I discovered I enjoyed setting a train up to run at a constant slow speed whilst I filmed it from different locations.  I had time to move and set up the camera whilst the train slowly ran through the fiddle yard.  I enjoyed it so much that the new garage based layout will be purposely designed around filming.  I suppose it comes from years of living next to the West Coast main line where trains are passing at high speed, but there is something very therapeutic in watching a train pass through scenery!

My dream layout is a huge loop with two large stations joining it in opposite directions. So a train can leave station A, do some laps of the loop, then arrive at station B. Ideally a double track setup so two trains can be travelling in opposite directions at the same time. It’s nice to watch the trains go by. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It is lovely to watch the trains go by, but a repeated appearance of the same train tailchasing around a continuous run raises disturbing questions on it’s second appearance.  Slow running of suspended mechs, especially with Walchaert’s, is hypnotic and fascinating though, motor turning slowly, worm and gears visibly moving, can of beer, chillax!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @50025

I threw it out there in a planning meeting this afternoon. I was asked “which version” and I could see a migraine developing. I’ll keep trying 🤣.

Cheers!

Fran

image.png.8fd5e3c3be4e375c333558c65216b378.png

You need to do a larger WR Engine before you move on Fran. This is a simple  one to produce despite there not being a real one to scan. I will take Two please. 

Single chimney version would go down well too!

Phil

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @50025

I threw it out there in a planning meeting this afternoon. I was asked “which version” and I could see a migraine developing. I’ll keep trying 🤣.

Cheers!

Fran

Well, all of them - you'll be experts after you've finished with the Buckjumpers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

You need to do a larger WR Engine before you move on Fran. This is a simple  one to produce despite there not being a real one to scan. I will take Two please. 

Phil

Erm....

spacer.png

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/422/going-loco-september-2020

They can do that after the 8F as it's virtually got the same boiler.....

Jason

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

I should have mentioned that there is one part built at Didcot and that there was another style of Double Chimney used before this really stumpy effort (mid 50s?). Apart from that I believe the Loco's were identical (ish).

Cheers.

Phil

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

You need to do a larger WR Engine before you move on Fran. This is a simple  one to produce despite there not being a real one to scan.

Not quite yet anyway. To me this is the biggest open goal for GWR/BR WR steam. Only 20 ish years in service but 4 livery options and probably the most different looking of GWR 4-6-0s for all those that moan all Swindon engines look the same. Add to that the new build interest. I’d buy at least 2 (more likely 3 or 4 over successive runs)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh just where to start. 

The problem that goes round in my head all the time. Love do this, but then it's not that. But those are needed more. I'd personally like to do one of them but then that needs doing before someone else does it. 

Sod it, gonna have to take the pokemon option and "gotta do em all"

Now where to start...

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Purves said:

Oh just where to start. 

The problem that goes round in my head all the time. Love do this, but then it's not that. But those are needed more. I'd personally like to do one of them but then that needs doing before someone else does it. 

Sod it, gonna have to take the pokemon option and "gotta do em all"

Now where to start...

spacer.png

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2023 at 09:02, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for that timely post,Paul. Now that you’re around “on here”,I note that  your interest in the North East has recently led to the development of some very tasty wagons from that region..the Chaldrons are already here …with more to come. Now the obvious choice for a steam locomotive model to operate with them, Heljan having already given us an electric example, is Lambton tank No.29 which is I believe currently on the NYMR. I’m sure you will by now have given it some thought.As is said…just saying.

And, with a different cab you could have a variety of S Wales locos - TVR, R&SB and I guess others, more mods could give you GWR absorbed.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

OK, if not a pannier, how about a 22XX or a 14XX?

And surely all locos have copper-clad chimneys?

Not even all GW locos.  48/58xx, 57xx and derivates, 42xx/5205/72xx, , 44*/45xx, 4575, 54/64/74xx and probably a good many more that escape me at the moment, had cast iron chimney caps.  Some surprisingly mundane classes did have copper caps though, such as 56xx and 94xx.  2251s had them as well, but 14xx are renumbered 48xx, and didn't.  I have no idea what determined whether a loco was given a copper-capped chimney or not, but was once told by an old hand Canton driver that copper lasted better than cast iron in an acidic environment in which it repeatedly expands and contracts, and is thus better as a means of securing the top of the chimney barrel if the chimney is contructed of two halves rather than turned in one piece on a big lathe.  Not sure I believed him, but he was quite serious and clearly believed this himself.

All had brass safety valve bonnets, though many were painted over for many periods of the locomotives lives.  The same Canton old hand told me that Sir Daniel Gooch himself had designed this piece of equipment as a 'steam trumpet', for the purpose of directing the sound of blowing safety valves upwards and away from people on the ground or platform.  Again, I have no idea if this is true, but GW locos do blow off more quietly than LMS and BR standards.

*44xx were originally built with parallel copper-capped chimneys, but these were replaced by tapered 'flowerpot' cast-iron capped chimneys as per the 45xx/4575 at later overhauls.

Edited by The Johnster

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

All had brass safety valve bonnets, though many were painted over for many periods of the locomotives lives.  The same Canton old hand told me that Sir Daniel Gooch himself had designed this piece of equipment as a 'steam trumpet', for the purpose of directing the sound of blowing safety valves upwards and away from people on the ground or platform.  Again, I have no idea if this is true, but GW locos do blow off more quietly than LMS and BR standards.

Ramsbottom safety valves as opposed to Ross pop valves?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Hello Phil

Agree there!

This is how the County 4-6-0 has fared recently in The 00 Wishlist Poll:

2018 - Entered The Top 50

2019 - Came in just outside The Top 50

2020/21 - Poll didn't run

2022 - Back in The Top 50, but higher up at overall position =17th.

I will have at least two and probably three.

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2