The next Accurascale steam loco in OO ???

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Here's a thing ...

A/Scale managed to introduce brake linkage chains to the proprietary market, could it be possible they also introduce a lighting system for steam locomotives ... with any additional new steam locomotives introduced?

Al.

Now there’s a thought. The problem is that headcodes differ. I had thought perhaps live lamp irons insulated from the chassis and lamps in contact with both, so that a lamp would light if put on the iron. Difficult and likely pricey. Also, lamps in steam days were very dim, although bright enough if viewed from straight ahead. They weren’t even lit in daytime. Still, it’s worth mentioning now and again just in case a manufacturer decides to give it a try.

• Like 2

I suppose the 'main 3' - through goods, stopping passenger, and express passenger - but as you say, some clever and robust electronics would be required - and a way of ensuring the lamps don't get lost!

Too true, the the firebox was probably the brightest thing on 'steamies'.

Al.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPR said:

Working Caprotti? Simples.

How about working sanders?

(71000 restarting near Dainton summit, 4th May 2008)

DSC02154.JPG.277047487a5478121ba35b63ca3ba238.JPG

Working sanders?

Next we'll all have little oil cans topping up the linkages each time a steamie stops in a station!!

Imagine the 'dirt' everywhere - superfine grit - from the sanders!!

Al.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Not suggesting that it should be the next steam locomotive, but is there scope for Accurascale 'rescuing' the Hattons 14xx, as they are doing with the Class 66??

Better to start again on that one i think

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Better to start again on that one i think

I wonder. The body is quite good, apart from the hole where the brass numberplate goes and the lack of the bottom of the firebox. A decent finish would be welcome but Accurascale has shown itself capable of that with the Manor. A new chassis and motor would be required though. We are still rather lacking a decent up-to-date version. I wonder how Accurascale would cope with the size.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I wonder. The body is quite good, apart from the hole where the brass numberplate goes and the lack of the bottom of the firebox. A decent finish would be welcome but Accurascale has shown itself capable of that with the Manor. A new chassis and motor would be required though. We are still rather lacking a decent up-to-date version. I wonder how Accurascale would cope with the size.

I think this is a good example of a loco that would sell by the bucket load.

That's the thing with small tank locos, they can operate on branch lines, shunting yards and main lines alike, so they are of interest to many people, no matter how big or small their layout is.

That's the problem with all these big main line tender locos as far as I am concerned, they are of little operational value to anyone with a small layout depicting a branch line or yard etc. unless you are also a collector with a large gap in your wall-mounted showcase.

Some of the more venerable tank locos, that made it to the BR era could be produced in a variety of liveries and possibly body modifications, in other words I would suggest that a GWR 2021 pannier would sell more units that a 'Duke of Gloucester'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

I would suggest that a GWR 2021 pannier would sell more units that a 'Duke of Gloucester'.

I don’t think that there’s any doubt about that…

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Interesting thread. 

As a fully paid up LNER Pacific fan(atic) the loco I’d most like to see is… a C12 4-4-2T (GNR C2)!

Operated out of KGX on suburban services, as various main line station pilots (KGX, Peterborough, Grantham etc) then on branches in Lincs and Yorks until the late Fifties. 

Sadly with none preserved to scan, no ‘namers’ and only one livery that isn’t basically black (beautiful GNR green) my expectations are well and truly managed, but wholeheartedly agree that there’s more to life - even for an ECML modeller- than the big glamour locos.

IMG_6410.jpeg.7dc100bf575d28d8fe5fb97120255102.jpeg

(Wikipedia Commons image)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, owentherail said:

I hope for a King or Castle.... suspect a rebuilt WC 

IMHO, The Hornby rebuilt WC and BOB class certainly hold their own in the current market.

The airsmooth version on the other hand could do I with a revamp to modern day standards.

I've got a feeling we'll see a new Rebuilt MN before either of the above!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

IMHO, The Hornby rebuilt WC and BOB class certainly hold their own in the current market.

The airsmooth version on the other hand could do I with a revamp to modern day standards.

I've got a feeling we'll see a new Rebuilt MN before either of the above!

It must have a robust Gearing set up.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The only additional loco I really crave (apart from a 44xx - on the way we hear) is a GWR Bulldog (preferably of the 'Bird' series).  But as few of the class survived to the early 1950s, and so many people want to model the remembered scenes of their 1950s/60s childhoods, I realise that I'm very unlikely to see this wish come true! 

Perhaps 'historical railway modelling' could be defined as modelling a period before one was born?

John C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

The argument “X manufacture have just made one”, doesn’t necessarily make a difference to me and plenty like me.

Bachmann and A/S have just recently launched new 37’s. I can’t be the only person who has ordered multiple variants from each manufacturer.

Similarly, both Hornby and Bachmann have had a crack at the 9f. I don’t spend money with Hornby and similarly of the 2 Bachmann supplied 9f’s I purchased, one was replaced 3 times and I couldn’t be bothered to order a replacement for the faulty no2. So of 4 models that came to me, they have all gone back with a variety of issues.

So… since this thread has turned into a wish list, can I have a 9F please? :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course, if capitalising on existing tooling for the Manor, another GW tender loco beckons, but one which is arguably worthy of another look would be the Collett 22XX 0-6-0...

I don't think anyone has suggested this so far?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I can imagine that AS would make a very good job of depicting the inside valve gear on the 22XX, even if only a dummy set, as it is quite prominent on these locos, possibly more so than on most other locos on which it has been done.

• Agree 2

There are some interesting steam subjects that were 'problems' for RTR OO manufacture in the not too distant past, for which good solutions have now been demonstrated on models I have purchased: Rapido, a single,  Hornby, small  locos, Bachmann, 4-4-2 and 0-4-4T's, all with stable traction and no recourse required to traction tyres. (There are probably yet more, my interest leads to LNER and some LMS group purchases.)

Happily awaiting an Accurascale J69 with a fully concealed drive and plentiful traction, of accurate exterior appearance enabled by superior construction technique. (4' diameter wheels under a metal kit body with the footplate top 4'5" above rail top was not a happy combination...)

On 20/08/2023 at 10:50, Pteremy said:

Not suggesting that it should be the next steam locomotive, but is there scope for Accurascale 'rescuing' the Hattons 14xx, as they are doing with the Class 66??

First question specific to this would be 'is there anything worthwhile to rescue?' The technique to deliver traction from the awkward mechanism layout is now proven, but the body construction has to be very different from past all plastic bodied models. Fresh start would be better I feel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

First question specific to this would be 'is there anything worthwhile to rescue?' The technique to deliver traction from the awkward mechanism layout is now proven, but the body construction has to be very different from past all plastic bodied models. Fresh start would be better I feel.

Given that McC has agreed with you it seems that further comment might be pointless. But i guess it depends on what there is to build on. The general view was that the body was fine, but the mechanism wasn't. And then there were issues about the design of how the body and mechanism were put together (that is removing the body was quite difficult without breaking bits). It could be that there is excellent research that could be reused but needing a completely different execution. A 'fresh start' does not necessarily require the junking of any 'IP' that is still fit for purpose (if you see what I mean).

• Like 2