Present Day Wagon Repair Depot - As Yet Unnamed

MatthewEWS

After many years building small diorama layouts, I'm finally taking the plunge and building what I hope will be my first Exhibition Layout, inspired by the Wagon Repair Yard at Westbury (Aerial View attached to show the kind of thing I'm aiming for)

Key Facts:

• 4ft x 18 inches scenic
  • 2ft fiddle yard on one end
  • DCC
  • Consisting of 4 sidings - reception road, run around, shed and storage siding
  • Based on no specific location, but featuring mainly 4 wheel wagons (MHA, MFA, MTA, OBA etc) as operated by EWS/DB but not limited to these

So far I have constructed the main scenic board, set out the track and currently testing the plan to make sure it fulfils my operational needs. I think the plan has enough operational interest, and mainly focusses on a loco arriving with a short rake of wagons, then either stabling or running around the train to allow the resident 08 shunter to shunt the wagons between the shed and storage sidings, eventually reforming them for another loco to take them off scene. Unfortunately I am space limited, so the plan has to reflect that.

Very much learning as I go, so any initial thoughts welcome! I will update you all soon, or you can follow @MattsModelRailways on Instagram.

Matt

Picture1.png

unnamed.png

• Like 5

Not much to report as yet, the scenic board has been built and I’ve roughly laid some track to begin testing the concept.

Happy with the operating potential so far. I can bring a Class 66 with a short rake of wagons on scene, move the 66 into the headshunt and either run around the train or move into the loco siding. The resident 08 can then separate the arrived wagons shunting them between the remaining sidings.

Some more playing required just to nail down the concept fully.

Off on holiday at the end of the week so will be quiet for a while, but hoping to crack on with track laying, point control and electronics on my return. 

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0796.jpeg

Edited by MatthewEWS
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, virginhst539 said:

that's the colas loco works, wagon maintenance is far less glamorous and is done in the roads closest to the drone. looking forward to following this as I have a similar project in the planning stage just now.

As far as I know, the Colas works is a fairly recent development. I have many photos from several years ago with wagons lined up in the shed. Hoping to have progress soon and look forward to seeing your project in time as well! :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MatthewEWS said:

As far as I know, the Colas works is a fairly recent development. I have many photos from several years ago with wagons lined up in the shed. Hoping to have progress soon and look forward to seeing your project in time as well! :) 

There was a thread or two about modern local wagon repair depots including pictures of Westbury on RMweb some years back.

The building at Westbury was known by some as the 'Elephant House'.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rivercider said:

The building at Westbury was known by some as the 'Elephant House'.

And indeed it still is known as the Elephant House.

12 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

that's the colas loco works, wagon maintenance is far less glamorous and is done in the roads closest to the drone. looking forward to following this as I have a similar project in the planning stage just now.

Colas have only been in the last 18 months - 2 years. Before that, the Elephant House was used for wagon repairs alongside the adjacent two cripple sidings. The Elephant House has a pit and office space, alongside the fact it is covered facility.

Jo

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I know this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but here goes! 

Two aims for the Wagon Repair Layout are:

- Demonstrate what can be achieved in a small space (fits under a single bed) 
- Demonstrate what can be achieved on a low budget

So as for aim #2, no point motors for me, instead I found an article in an old issue of Model Rail Magazine where Chris Nevard showed how to operate points manually with dowel, a paper clip and a door knob.

A quick visit to B&Q later, and we have our first working point. A few tweaks needed before I install it on the others, but for less than £2 per point, I’m very pleased!

IMG_0842.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the UK now slightly later than planned (thanks Air Traffic Control) but arrived back to 3 new arrivals for the layout

BA7D51A9-50B2-44E3-BAAF-17F85D84CC11.jpeg.68b2f8d6c262a08fd9620e2b3d3523fe.jpeg

2x Weathered MTA wagons and a DB MXA Lobster wagon which will all add some variety to the layout and the stock I already have

Back to work on Friday, so the plans I have before then are:

- Finish Track Laying

- Fit Manual Point Control system as outlined above 

- Begin working on the scenic break bridge 

More updates soon!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hey all,

I will provide a more in-depth update soon but just after some opinions regarding wagon sheds. 

Basing the layout on Westbury, I had a go at designing a laser cut shed to represent what’s there in real life, however I’m not sure whether the Gaugemaster kit looks better. 

What do we all think? The Laser Cut version definitely needs increasing in size and I like that it’s a unique feature, but I also like how the Gaugemaster kit fills the scene. 

Any wise words? 

Matt

IMG_5056.jpeg

IMG_5057.jpeg

• Like 5

Really like your wagon shed project and what can be done in a small space. 
I have a wagon repair depot at one end of my Millburn layout. The shed was scratch built on an aluminium frame. I have recently installed LED lights in it. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing this progress. 

JohnIMG_3803.jpeg.5256f28b4579d9da8923776352886df5.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a proper update I think!

Work has been progressing steadily on the layout whenever I grab some quiet time. Since my last main update I’ve laid the ballast, hard standing, other scenic ground cover, built the bridge for the scenic break and this week started the landscaping around the bridge as well as fitting the back scene boards. 

Whilst it still has a very long way to go, I’m really pleased with how it’s looking. Next jobs are the finish the embankments either side or the bridge, decide whether to go for a photographic or simple sky blue backscene and begin the wider scenic work.

some pictures from the last few weeks attached:

IMG_5275.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5281.jpeg

• Like 3