Wrapping boxes and bigger boxes

bazzer42 -

Thanks for the extra photos - the RM liveried parcels unit looks the part in your depot; scope to add a colourful shot of the unit towing the RM liveried BG.

Then you mention “an engineers yard is a future box aspiration.” Will watch with interest; after RM red, can we look forward to the yellow of Dutch livery and Network Rail….?!?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulbb said:

Many thanks for that Bazzer , I did'nt  find the scenic cement worked too well for me, so I reverted to PVA/washing up liquid. Your comments about track paint is interesting  though.  Love the parcels depot though on longer say  6x2 board and a run round loop it would look really good regards

Paul

I agree with you that the lack of run round facilities limits the operational aspect but trying to build something convincing on a tiny board is a challenge I like.  

17 minutes ago, aac said:

P.S. EM gauge, some years ago.

That was a layout.  I recall cutting it out of Model Rail (?) "leaflet" in a real trains mag and then losing it!  It certainly wasn't in my mind when I built it, inspiration came from pictures of Parkway mail centre.  I would like to do a Scottish goods yard based on a photo of a 26 in a yard in an Ian Allen Railfreight book.  I guess it's all a combo of scenes you like combined with images of layouts that "flick your switches" and Carron Road was one of many.

Google gives you various shots, and the trackplan, out of interest. Yes, I cut out the pages of the MRJ version of the article and still have it in a folder! As you say, it's so often a fleeting glimpse that stays in the mind. I vividly remember 46240, City of Coventry, sitting on the turntable at Lime Street glinting in a shaft of sunlight coming down into the cutting  where it presented a head-on, three-quarter view as I passed on a train. Unforgettable.

aac

• Like 1

Wife working at home and told I can potter for a morning so potter I did! Back wall prepped and track sprayed up.  Ballast for Eden Lane might come from a tub of fine cinders picked up at Lydney harbour last year.   Fancy woodland scenics cinders are a tad dark.

20240724_091354.jpg

20240724_091320.jpg

20240724_091430.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The forum seems quiet and reflects my output this week  so just a few slow progress pictures. Backscene, stuck and background wall spaced and secured.  Hopefully tomorrow I can wire and ballast.  Thinking of a mock ash pit just behind the pannier, I'll use a full of ash excuse for the lack of depth...

20240804_202839.jpg

20240804_202743.jpg

20240804_202733.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Well, the lydney ballast was a disaster (too dark and overscale) so a thin layer of woodland scenics cinders needed to hide it. The ash pit is interesting as my attempt to create an ash pile seems to be drying to ash.  I'll give it another dose of glue and see what happens, it can go one of two ways!  The grass at the front is a first pull of dyed hanging basket liner so a bit rough and ready in the photos. The oil tank stand by the shed has been through the Hoover, too eager to clean up loose ballast yesterday. 

20240907_092035.jpg

20240907_091934.jpg

20240907_091924.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Bandit said:

This is looking great - love the ash. May I ask where you got the backscene from as the painting style is just what I’m looking for.

Hi, Thanks.  It's Townscene and they are now being sold by Squires (saw them at the Bristol show). They do two sets of terraces,  fronts and backs. Fronts are good as you can mix and match.

On 22/07/2024 at 15:05, bazzer42 said:

That was a layout.  I recall cutting it out of Model Rail (?) "leaflet" in a real trains mag and then losing it!  It certainly wasn't in my mind when I built it, inspiration came from pictures of Parkway mail centre.  I would like to do a Scottish goods yard based on a photo of a 26 in a yard in an Ian Allen Railfreight book.  I guess it's all a combo of scenes you like combined with images of layouts that "flick your switches" and Carron Road was one of many.

Yes Carron Road was in a 'Model Rail' supplement to 'RAIL' magazine (I think it had dropped the 'Enthusiast' suffix by then), I'm sure it's still somewhere in my loft as it "flicked my switches" too! 

I've just been catching up on your thread and greatly admire the quality (and quantity!) of your modelling within set restrictions, presenting a challenge to be met. It reminds me of the Japanese 'Kei' cars of circa the 1990s, IIRC owners of vehicles within a set length/width didn't have to prove they had a parking space (I think this applied to Tokyo only but may have included other similarly crowded cities). Engine capacity could not exceed 660cc (0.66-litre) or a stated power output which I can't now recall, although turbocharging was permitted (so was taken up of course!) There was no restriction on overall height. The Japanese car manufacturers accepted the challenge with apparent relish and all manner of weird and wonderful tiny vehicles ensued, many of which were imported into the UK as so-called 'grey imports' - some of those I can recall, Honda Beat and Daihatsu Copen sports cars, the retro-styled Nissan Figaro and distinctly odd-looking S-Cargo van, Mitsubishi Pajero Io and Dangan (which in white resembled a domestic appliance but went like the bullet it was named after) and in latter days the egg-shaped Mitsubishi i-MiEV which became an all-electric model also sold here as the Peugeot Ion and Citroen C-Zero, which can still occasionally be seen on the road here. There were many many more overly tall (and in most cases not particularly pretty) mini-MPV creations which no doubt did a great job transporting the millions of Japanese city dwellers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Yes Carron Road was in a 'Model Rail' supplement to 'RAIL' magazine (I think it had dropped the 'Enthusiast' suffix by then), I'm sure it's still somewhere in my loft as it "flicked my switches" too! 

I've just been catching up on your thread and greatly admire the quality (and quantity!) of your modelling within set restrictions, presenting a challenge to be met. It reminds me of the Japanese 'Kei' cars of circa the 1990s, IIRC owners of vehicles within a set length/width didn't have to prove they had a parking space (I think this applied to Tokyo only but may have included other similarly crowded cities). Engine capacity could not exceed 660cc (0.66-litre) or a stated power output which I can't now recall, although turbocharging was permitted (so was taken up of course!) There was no restriction on overall height. The Japanese car manufacturers accepted the challenge with apparent relish and all manner of weird and wonderful tiny vehicles ensued, many of which were imported into the UK as so-called 'grey imports' - some of those I can recall, Honda Beat and Daihatsu Copen sports cars, the retro-styled Nissan Figaro and distinctly odd-looking S-Cargo van, Mitsubishi Pajero Io and Dangan (which in white resembled a domestic appliance but went like the bullet it was named after) and in latter days the egg-shaped Mitsubishi i-MiEV which became an all-electric model also sold here as the Peugeot Ion and Citroen C-Zero, which can still occasionally be seen on the road here. There were many many more overly tall (and in most cases not particularly pretty) mini-MPV creations which no doubt did a great job transporting the millions of Japanese city dwellers.

Just been googling Kei, nice read whilst waiting for a burger to arrive!

Still love Carron Road, top modelling.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Love the yard and crane.
Where did you get it from? I had to build my own as I couldnt find one I liked or that suited.

The crane came from John's Model Railways (no connection)  along with the canopy supports on the post office build. I saw them on the bay but bought directly from his site.  They aren't (supports or crane) on the bay and not on his site.  They needed a little fettling but turned out okay.  His email is John@johnsmodelrailwaiys.co.uk if you want to try. As I say no connections but very helpful in supplying the canopy supports on their own (advertised as part of a kit).

• Like 2

General greening taking place. Been too hasty and grassed before planting the pipe bridge, a job for later 🙄 Hoping to get some saplings behind the fence once I finish stripping the basket liner grass and glue the fence in.

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0160.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

• Like 8

On 02/10/2024 at 10:49, Oncomin5torm said:

Love the yard and crane.
Where did you get it from? I had to build my own as I couldnt find one I liked or that suited.

Tell a lie sorry , search oo gantry crane on Ebay and they are there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

Nearing completion, a simple build in just about 3 weeks.  I’ve set myself a challenge to build a box layout in two weeks in November when Mrs B is in Costa Rica sloth searching.

IMG_0217.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0219.jpeg

This is really lovely work, I am very impressed. And 3 weeks....... Heck it takes me three weeks to just think about my next individual bit to do !

But, well done, it is really super.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 2