Southwest Digital Loksound Loco Files For Free

two tone green

He isnt the one making files though, thats Ian lol 

Tbh id love ESU to do some sort of course, id sign up!  Im sure there would be a lot of improvements i could make to my underground files, it would be interesting.

Not many people are keen to share how to put files together, protecting their investment i guess ha.
though even if you knew what you were doing, gaining access to record stuff is a hard part in itself.
A lot of it is learning to loop the audio anyway, that can take a silly amount of time lol

The amount of hours that go in are actually silly in the grand scheme of things!

On 19/08/2023 at 17:57, Erixtar1992 said:

He isnt the one making files though, thats Ian lol 

Tbh id love ESU to do some sort of course, id sign up!  Im sure there would be a lot of improvements i could make to my underground files, it would be interesting.

Not many people are keen to share how to put files together, protecting their investment i guess ha.
though even if you knew what you were doing, gaining access to record stuff is a hard part in itself.
A lot of it is learning to loop the audio anyway, that can take a silly amount of time lol

The amount of hours that go in are actually silly in the grand scheme of things!

Business opportunity for some one teaching how to use the Lokprogrammer. 
As for sound files, the availability will grow as ESU release more files. Cut copy paste, mix and match to meet your requirements. 

As others have already pointed out, these files are not perfect, but are freebies, so we can't complain too much. I have downloaded all of the British ones so far 9as of two weeks ago, so maybe more to get now), and have been dabbling with a couple of them. 

As for steam, the Merchant Navy and West Country/Battle of Britain files are not too bad, although some of the separate function sounds are a bit questionable (like a modern Waterloo station announcement). The turbine generator sound and air pumps would only suit preserved examples, I think (or at least, the turbine sound is too loud and too prominent as the sound come), but all of these are editable or tweakable. For my Bachmann SECR C class 0-6-0, I tried the two cylinder Britannia sound file first, but that was really dreadful, with electronically generated steam chuffs. I then tried the three cylinder MN sound file, and retuned it to act as a two cylinder (four beats per wheel revolution), then tried to find a suitable whistle to match the preserved C on the Bluebell Railway - I used the German E94 whistle from the very limited number of whistles available on the ESU site, but hopefully they will increase the number of auxiliary sounds available as well as the number of complete British steam projects.

At least it has given me a bit of a challenge and something to occupy my curiosity as to what can or cannot be done with the ESU LokProgrammer software.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, SRman said:

As others have already pointed out, these files are not perfect, but are freebies, so we can't complain too much. I have downloaded all of the British ones so far 9as of two weeks ago, so maybe more to get now), and have been dabbling with a couple of them. 

As for steam, the Merchant Navy and West Country/Battle of Britain files are not too bad, although some of the separate function sounds are a bit questionable (like a modern Waterloo station announcement). The turbine generator sound and air pumps would only suit preserved examples, I think (or at least, the turbine sound is too loud and too prominent as the sound come), but all of these are editable or tweakable. For my Bachmann SECR C class 0-6-0, I tried the two cylinder Britannia sound file first, but that was really dreadful, with electronically generated steam chuffs. I then tried the three cylinder MN sound file, and retuned it to act as a two cylinder (four beats per wheel revolution), then tried to find a suitable whistle to match the preserved C on the Bluebell Railway - I used the German E94 whistle from the very limited number of whistles available on the ESU site, but hopefully they will increase the number of auxiliary sounds available as well as the number of complete British steam projects.

At least it has given me a bit of a challenge and something to occupy my curiosity as to what can or cannot be done with the ESU LokProgrammer software.

Yes the current steam offerings are not brilliant but possibly will be updated as more original prime mover sounds and the little add ons such as whistles  become available. 

You mentioned your use of the Lokprogrammer, how about starting a thread and post about your experiences with it and how to do things? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, two tone green said:

Yes the current steam offerings are not brilliant but possibly will be updated as more original prime mover sounds and the little add ons such as whistles  become available. 

You mentioned your use of the Lokprogrammer, how about starting a thread and post about your experiences with it and how to do things? 

Maybe, once I get to grips with it.

• Thanks 1

The free steam sounds are quite old as they have been available for download for just over 4 years now on ESU's website for the V5 decoders and from August 2016 for V4 decoders. Also, available from August 2016 was a free sound for the Class 08 for V4 LokSounds.  

There are no UK sounds available for download from ESU for Electric locos or MUs.

Edited by GoingUnderground
To add availability of free sounds for V4 LokSounds