The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

LGBT+ modellers & modelling

I’m not aware of an LGBT+ topic so I thought I’d take the plunge and start one. Hopefully this won’t cause too much hand wringing but LGBT+ modellers do exist (I know because I’m one of them). The rail industry & allied support sector has 000s of us too. 

We had a very wet Northern Pride in Newcastle yesterday and it was partly sponsored by Lumo Trains, so there’s another connection if you wanted one. 

I know that some mutter about so-called “pink washing” of the railways with Pride liveries, but I have seen the impact that such relatively small gestures have on young LGBT travellers (in particular) and I know the Pride-liveried Pendolino has been popular. 

Hopefully we can have a safe space on here too. 

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Gatesheadgeek said:

I’m not aware of an LGBT+ topic so I thought I’d take the plunge and start one. Hopefully this won’t cause too much hand wringing but LGBT+ modellers do exist (I know because I’m one of them). The rail industry & allied support sector has 000s of us too. 

We had a very wet Northern Pride in Newcastle yesterday and it was partly sponsored by Lumo Trains, so there’s another connection if you wanted one. 

I know that some mutter about so-called “pink washing” of the railways with Pride liveries, but I have seen the impact that such relatively small gestures have on young LGBT travellers (in particular) and I know the Pride-liveried Pendolino has been popular. 

The following is NOT in anyway discriminatory!

I simply wonder why we would need a special topic for a sector of society which assures us that it is in no way different from the rest of us.

To date, no-one seems to have felt it necessary to declare how they identify - we just get on and discuss model railways, regardless of personal inclinations.

Can we not just leave it that way - it would be far less likely to lead to unnecessary controversy?

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Gatesheadgeek said:

Excellent. You will be pleased to hear the LNER sponsor Pride in South Yorkshire. 

Any involvement in work or hobbies should be as diverse as anyone wishes.

It's early days for many though as they find differences of all sorts hard to deal with. However, life evolves and that is brilliant.

Great post.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not have any LGB but a friend has an extensive G scale Carpet Central floor layout that I enjoy hearing run; especially when he drags out the Swiss Croc. All those metal wheels on metal track; wonderful sound. The same applies to almost all of my O, OO, and HO.

I think you may have misread the OP's header. At least I hope you have?

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I did hesitate about posting the topic, however we have a range of topics about car interests, cats and all manner of other things so I didn’t see any harm. If people aren’t interested then it’ll just fall down the rankings and disappear. No harm done.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Excellent. You will be pleased to hear the LNER sponsor Pride in South Yorkshire. 

Any involvement in work or hobbies should be as diverse as anyone wishes.

It's early days for many though as they find differences of all sorts hard to deal with. However, life evolves and that is brilliant.

Great post.

Phil

Yes they have often been active and supportive at Northern Pride and at York Pride.

21 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

To date, no-one seems to have felt it necessary to declare how they identify - we just get on and discuss model railways, regardless of personal inclinations.

My emphasis. I assure you that some do and I presume that some don't. There are RMwebbers who openly share their identity.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think you may have misread the OP's header. At least I hope you have?

Phil

My post got deleted as I was editing it; it appeared that the thread got deleted according to the response that I got when trying to save the edit. I am glad to see that it is back.

What I added to my first paragraph was something to the effect of:

EDIT: Ooops, I seem to have mis-read the title! Anyway, I do not see any real difference between this and modelling say LMS, GWR, PRR, SP, SNCF, DB and; hopefully the discourse will remain polite.

• Friendly/supportive 1

There has been an almost identical topic in the past, which I only remember because I waded in suggesting that, since it is totally irrelevant to railway modelling what the gender or sexuality of the modeller is, it seemed a bit pointless. I think I’ve learned a bit since then, especially about the function of “wheeltappers”, but if you search, you might find that old thread.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Geek, thank you for your post, to which I am totally supportive.  Many people on RMWeb will have known the late Chris Foren and his travails in coming out.  Keep posting and I expect a community will form around you.  You have my complete support.  Bill

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

My post got deleted as I was editing it; it appeared that the thread got deleted according to the response that I got when trying to save the edit. I am glad to see that it is back.

What I added to my first paragraph was something to the effect of:

EDIT: Ooops, I seem to have mis-read the title! Anyway, I do not see any real difference between this and modelling say LMS, GWR, PRR, SP, SNCF, DB and; hopefully the discourse will remain polite.

I still think you may have misunderstood the OP?

Phil

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I simply wonder why we would need a special topic for a sector of society which assures us that it is in no way different from the rest of us.

Can we not just leave it that way - it would be far less likely to lead to unnecessary controversy?

CJI.

The same way as we need/have a section on P4 or S or Japanese Trains.

If you aren't involved or interested in that sort of thing you just don't take part.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

That this was reported kind of proved my point, though that wasn’t my purpose. No matter, with lots going on including being at risk of redundancy, probably best that I step away. Not the place for me. Hopefully other LGBT modellers and allies can feel welcome but I haven’t done so here for a while. 

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I still think you may have misunderstood the OP?

Phil

Not at all. I was trying to inject a little humor. Which, apparently failed.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I self-identify as grumpy 😡  !!!

CJI.

Just a thought on the subject of identity - in all seriousness.

We have avatars / photos as a means of expressing our personalities, but would it not be helpful to fellow members to have a selection of symbols available for our personal selection and display, representing our interests in scale, subject railway, RTR, kit-building, operation, DC, DCC, etc., etc. - including, of course, our self-identity?

Just a thought ......

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gatesheadgeek said:

That this was reported kind of proved my point, though that wasn’t my purpose. No matter, with lots going on including being at risk of redundancy, probably best that I step away. Not the place for me. Hopefully other LGBT modellers and allies can feel welcome but I haven’t done so here for a while. 

Suggest you don't disappear pal. Speak to Andy York about having a Thread somewhere where we can chat and share ideas without having to put up with the sad and covertly bigoted, mainly  old grumble guts types, two of which I sadly see are up to their usual basement standard of response.

Stand an be proud. Stronger together.

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

A bit of awareness doesn't hurt. Whether you declare or not you can still be treated to a homophobic rant provoked by same sex couples on strictly, from your local model shop proprietor,

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 30801 said:

A bit of awareness doesn't hurt. Whether you declare or not you can still be treated to a homophobic rant provoked by same sex couples on strictly, from your local model shop proprietor,

Why do we need to be AWARE? It has precisely nothing to do with our ability, or otherwise, to enjoy railway modelling.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's what the inclinations are of any member of this group - why do we NEED to know?

CJI.

• Agree 4

• Administrators

Right. I am now having my Sunday evening taken up with dealing with reported posts and the reports by those with opposite viewpoints and I could really do without that thank you.

Behave or bebanished.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Why do we need to be AWARE? It has precisely nothing to do with our ability, or otherwise, to enjoy railway modelling.

Well I did just describe a thing that happened that would in fact affect your ability to enjoy railway modelling.

Especially since it's the last remaining model railway shop in the area.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gatesheadgeek said:

I think it's very easy for people such as myself (white, straight, middle class, able bodied, educated etc) to dismiss stuff like this as token gestures or say 'it doesn't matter, you're all the same as us' but if it helps people who might feel a bit isolated within the wider society to feel less isolated, then it's worth doing. And the same goes if the LGBT+ members want to set up their own support network on here. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2