IP Engineering Ruston

LNERGE

I bought one recently and I am very impressed with it. After reading the instructions I reached for my box of useful bits and found a pair of sprockets and a bit of chain so I can drive both axles..

B5335BD9-4B51-4B8B-A88A-A8E34DED38CC.jpeg.99b44bd39f386bafcf23e7e05b1813a0.jpeg

The modification seems to work nicely. I’m highly likely to do this again but after various searches i can’t find where I got them or anything equivalent. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It looks like the same ladder chain and sprockets that I bought for similar jobs from that once common ‘electronics shop’ that used to have branches all over the place, but has now ceased to exist. They came along with a 3V motor  and a mount, a load of gears, rods etc as part of an ‘experimenter kit’, some of which I still use when showing kids the basics of electricity.

Try an educational supplier? Or a robotics supplier?

Frinstance: https://www.technobotsonline.com/tamiya-70142-ladder-chain-and-sprocket-set.html

Edited by Nearholmer

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Don’t IP sell a 4WD conversion kit themselves? 

I couldn’t find it. 

I’ve been gifted a significant amount of track and the original thought was to build a level roundy roundy to unleash a Mamod or similar. My lad saw Fen End Pit a couple of weeks back and now wants the loco controllable. 

Is there a suitable radio control/Bluetooth controller available for the motor as fitted?

• 1 month later...

I suspect a Loco-remote Wi-Fi controller would fit in this model as I have one in a similar sized Ruston built from a Bole Laser Craft kit. These work by creating a wi-fi hotspot unique to the loco and this is then accessible on your mobile phone (either Android or Iphone). You connect the phone to the loco and it provides a control interface for direction and speed control. They are also available with some sound functionality.

Two sizes of unit are available, one for max 6v motors the other for max 12v. There is a kit compatibility checker on their website. 

They can be found at https://www.locoremote.co.uk/

Edited by vaughan45