District Line 'B' Stock Livery

IanSpalding

I need to paint some District Line 'B' Stock circa 1908.  The colour is variously described as:

•  crimson lake (deep scarlet) (The London Underground Surface Stock Planbook p31)
  • bright red (London's District Line extract from The Times 30/3/1905 p104)
  • bright scarlet (royal scarlet) (London's District Line p95)

Does anyone have further information on the livery?  Is there a suitable model paint equivalent e.g. from Precision Paints etc?

Regards,

Ian Spalding

There is this 1:20 scale model in the London Transport Museum and I imagine that Stewart Hine put considerable research into getting the colour right (which could be described as fitting all three of the quotes you gave - and the Museum give a fourth!). Don't forget that in service the colour would quickly have become muted by brake-block dust.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1

Red is a difficult colour as there are so many variations.  My experience is limited to acrylics but several paint companies have discontinued rail based ranges.  Nowadays I have to buy versions and then choose what think is best.  This chart might help.

Humbrol_-_Shade_Chart_28-11-22_Online_Version_Web (2).pdf

I have modelled Metropolitan/LT for many years and have used many different shades, sometimes just to differentiate different stock that I suspect were painted in different reds.

Lake was described as a very dark red/crimson going to almost black. Unfortunately, surviving paint samples varied due to various effects like weathering and oxidisation. The last time I read anything on this colour, no one was sure exactly what shade it should be. The bright reds are a little more certain.

• Like 1