Wiring help

Cozy2168

Hi all

i was gifted a couple of locos sometime ago and now found the time to get them up and running.

I have not tinkered for a good few years and this particular class 47 came without the wiresconnected to the power bogie.

The white and red taped wires I presume go to the 2 lugs on the facing side of motor but not sure where the green taped wire needs to go.

I have attached ref pics and the tape was attached to help with description.

many thanks

paul

IMG_1640.jpeg

IMG_1639.jpeg

Green to the far motor terminal, red to the near one. If you connect them the wrong way around, you loco will run backwards.

The white wire goes to a lug on the bogie chassis to pick up power from the track.

It would be easier to colour code wiring using the standard convention of red, black, orange & grey. This makes it easier to troubleshoot & help others.

Like many, I just used to connect "red & black to the track, orange & grey the other way" then fiddle if the direction was wrong, but after learning the following, I get them right first time every time:

Assuming the loco is going forwards (obvious with a steam loco, fan forward with a single engine diesel, pan to the rear with a single pan electric. I have no idea for a twin engine/pan loco 😁 --- with a Hornby diesel or electric, the motor is at the No1 end).

On DC, the right hand rail is positive so for forwards, red to the right rail's pickup & black to the left. To the motor: orange takes over from red & grey takes over from black. Pin 1 on an 8 pin decoder is often marked with a 1.

36 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Green to the far motor terminal, red to the near one. If you connect them the wrong way around, you loco will run backwards.

The white wire goes to a lug on the bogie chassis to pick up power from the track.

It would be easier to colour code wiring using the standard convention of red, black, orange & grey. This makes it easier to troubleshoot & help others.

Like many, I just used to connect "red & black to the track, orange & grey the other way" then fiddle if the direction was wrong, but after learning the following, I get them right first time every time:

Assuming the loco is going forwards (obvious with a steam loco, fan forward with a single engine diesel, pan to the rear with a single pan electric. I have no idea for a twin engine/pan loco 😁 --- with a Hornby diesel or electric, the motor is at the No1 end).

On DC, the right hand rail is positive so for forwards, red to the right rail's pickup & black to the left. To the motor: orange takes over from red & grey takes over from black. Pin 1 on an 8 pin decoder is often marked with a 1.

Many thanks, Pete