Unusual and interesting coaches on Flickr

On 10/09/2023 at 14:57, Rugd1022 said:

I don't think we've had this former GW Sleeping car at Liskeard which was used a staff mess room, photo c/o the Cornwall Railway Society site...

LISKEARD2166241_orig.jpg.e2378ff2555973390cc3b72a07e54cf7.jpg

It was still there when I took this photo in August '89, you can see the end of it on the left of the pic...

LISKEARDAUGUST1989ScannedImage-25.jpg.047aa8b73b5ce96622755aa8daff40f4.jpg

(I suppose technically it belongs in the 'grounded van body' thread but i couldn't find it!)

I don’t think that is a sleeper.  It looks more like a clerestory restaurant/dining car with kitchen at the near end.  The GWR built 6 between 1896 & 99.  They were regularly updated/rebuilt, but only 2 made it past 1931.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

The yellow things look to be in the middle of the panel rather than on the outside for locking. The whole panel doesn't look like it has any hinges but a definite line around it separating it from the rest of the bodywork. Can that whole panel be slid out possibly and thats handles or lifting points if whats on the other side is weighty?

I reckon it's probably batteries Gordon.  The coach batteries wouldn't be suitable for starting the big train supply alternator 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Must admit I was thinking along the same lines - why would a hinged panel need anything other than standard locks ? ........... but I can't suss out how those yellow things might function !

Whatever they were they seem to have disappeared ! : http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4122

I didn't realise that was the same vehicle I've worked with that when acting guard

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GordonC said:

The yellow things look to be in the middle of the panel rather than on the outside for locking. The whole panel doesn't look like it has any hinges but a definite line around it separating it from the rest of the bodywork. Can that whole panel be slid out possibly and thats handles or lifting points if whats on the other side is weighty?

Agreed - I would hazard a guess that, being out-of-gauge, they are detachable handling brackets.

It's even possible that the panel fronts something such as a battery compartment, that slides out in the same way as a drawer.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/09/2023 at 17:53, montyburns56 said:

W80976 Guide Bridge 1978 by Geoff Dowling

A visitor to Guide Bridge (R274)

Dapol have just announced these.

They are doing all that were made (7off) including this one - albeit in pristine condition.

image.png.b696d4386e4375d648b7fe424a77b3f1.png

Looks fabulous but a bit pricey at £150!

Kev.

• Like 3

Or, is it a MOSCOW (Mobile Sandwich Conditioning Workshop)? I know that a couple were created for Travellers Fare by converting Mk1 horse boxes.

They were intended to be used to pre-stale sandwiches before they were wrapped, to avoid any possibility of them being put on sale in a palatable condition, but the programme was discontinued after it was found that the bread and cheese  were available pre-staled from the suppliers. One was later converted to a bread pudding steaming van and allocated to Shrewsbury, where the buffet was famed for this delicacy (it really was!).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Or, is it a MOSCOW (Mobile Sandwich Conditioning Workshop)? I know that a couple were created for Travellers Fare by converting Mk1 horse boxes.

They were intended to be used to pre-stale sandwiches before they were wrapped, to avoid any possibility of them being put on sale in a palatable condition, but the programme was discontinued after it was found that the bread and cheese  was available pre-staled from the suppliers. One was later converted to a bread pudding steaming van and allocated to Shrewsbury, where the buffet was famed for this delicacy (it really was!).

The bread pudding, presumably, being produced from stale pre-staled bread?

CJI.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

It's a steam heating van (for pre-heating carriages, especially sleepers). More photos here.

https://www.departmentals.com/departmental/041978

It does look like it has appeared in an episode of 'Pimp my ride'. 

Ah so it must be a mobile Christmas pudding maker. One for Hornby to make for the Christmas train set.

or could it be a top secret batter pudding maker that would be hidden in Bexhill just don’t tell Ned Seagoon 

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2023 at 14:25, Compound2632 said:

The carriage is evidently a retired all first and presumably originally six-wheeled? Looks to me to be of NER origin, an opinion assisted by the van looking very much like a NER G1.

Looks like an NER Diag. 79a "Ordinary First" - four compartments with double panels between compartments. As you suspected, originally 6-wheeled. 

EDIT: I'm talking about the carriage back on page 8, not the D.171 on this page. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

That seems a lot of work: was there some sort of internal structure or roof mounting which required the flat roof area?

On some Pooley vans, I don't know about this specific one, there was a crane/hoist built into the body to lift the weights in and out so maybe it was part of this modification?

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1