A Question On LBSCR Buildings

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all

I am planning on putting together some buildings based on some LBSCR prototypes and had a question regarding colour schemes. 
The brilliant Italianate stations at London Road (Brighton), Seaford, Portslade etc are currently kept a very bright white with Southern’s green lining. However I am struggling to find how they would have looked in the late 1800s/early 1900s.  Would anybody be able to advise or point me in the direction of books etc where I may be able to find out?

Attached is a photo from London Road from over the weekend for fun.

Nestor

1A2B5975-0C80-493E-B5D9-7840CBE88269.jpeg.b1308d7792f435942ac88c79b320a22a.jpeg

• Like 1

If its any help at all, I use the following:
spacer.png

spacer.png

Citadel Paints from Games Workshop, Screaming Skull is a good match for the cream and Khorne Red for the Maroon. They're very nice paints which cover evenly and dry without any real brush marks showing. They're about £4 a small tin however which I consider to be mid-range for paint - I'd probably scoff at the cost if they didn't match so well to be honest.
Here is an example on my signal cabin on my BLT layout:
spacer.png

Hope that helps even just a little.
Kind Regards,
Gary

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A follow up question for this most helpful of spaces… 

Would anybody be able to point in the direction of books or online sites where I could locate drawings of Kemp Town or London Road (or their various cousins) station buildings?

Many thanks 

Nestor 

Have you tried looking on the Network Rail website; I believe there is an archive of old drawings on there.

Alternatively try the Brighton Circle.

Aside from that the National Railway Museum Archives, or perhaps the archives at Kew.

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 1

Although not quite as grand as Kemptown, in Vivien Thompson’s book on period model buildings, there are drawings of the old Chichester station, which had a similar style to those nearer Brighton, but on a slightly smaller scale.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both, most helpful. 

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

Although not quite as grand as Kemptown, in Vivien Thompson’s book on period model buildings, there are drawings of the old Chichester station, which had a similar style to those nearer Brighton, but on a slightly smaller scale.

I’m right in saying she built a model of Eastbourne? Does anyone know what became of her and if she’s still around modelling?

Nestor

• Like 1

Yes she was a frequent contributor to Railway Modeller at one time.  Made not only buildings but LB&SCR locos and carriages when that was distinctly unusual.  I seem to recall she also had a L&NWR set for the through service (not sure if it was called the Sunny South Express in pre-Grouping days).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, nest said:

Thank you both, most helpful. 

I’m right in saying she built a model of Eastbourne? Does anyone know what became of her and if she’s still around modelling?

Nestor

I can't help with her present status, but she'd not be young. 

Eastbourne was a bombshell in RM. Beautiful scratchbuilding, and as Tom says, locos and stock, too. In a hobby where women are not numerous, she stood out as working to the very highest standards. The roof of Eastbourne station is remarkable, and she managed a most convincing replica. If I were painting and lettering an E1 tank loco in 4mm, I'd be inclined to choose a nice short name - Mrs T chose "Trocadero"! That sums her up, really.

Infuriatingly, my late first wife, who already well-understood VT's achievements, spotted some of her models at an exhibition of BR architecture in the late '80s, and on mentioning this to her guide was introduced to her! I was so jealous!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I believe the last mention I saw about her, but I cannot remember where, said that she was now a resident somewhere  in Scotland. I am sure that someone on here will know more.

I have a copy of her book somewhere, which I recall was a PECO publication.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Eastbourne was a bombshell in RM. 

I still have my copy of that issue, a definite keeper. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Some great information there everyone thank you!

4 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

I have drawings of Seaford if that is any good.

Incredibly helpful! I’ll DM you. 

Nestor

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seaford2.jpg.2e3c824497647b7745cb63bf09e76d24.jpgSeafordStationPlatformSide.jpg.afa3100d7d513a0c4e76682db490988b.jpgSeafordStationBLDGInterior.jpg.9ec27814f4ec57e99c256d668fe1b4ec.jpgScanned slides taken at the arches in the 1970s on a trip with Alan Elliot who was researching for the Cuckoo Line book. Great times! Cheers, Ian

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

Seaford2.jpg.2e3c824497647b7745cb63bf09e76d24.jpgSeafordStationPlatformSide.jpg.afa3100d7d513a0c4e76682db490988b.jpgSeafordStationBLDGInterior.jpg.9ec27814f4ec57e99c256d668fe1b4ec.jpgScanned slides taken at the arches in the 1970s on a trip with Alan Elliot who was researching for the Cuckoo Line book. Great times! Cheers, Ian

Ah how wonderful! 

Thank you

Nestor

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just wish the technology had been better all those years back. I would love to see them again and get them copied at a higher resoltion. I used to live in Uckfield and go to school in Lewes so went and measured the place up in about 1973. I remember being helped by a girlfriend whose family owned what is now the Stroudley 1st 6 wheeler at the bluebell. Spent a few times in the old cottage built round it in east Wittering when I and another had a car. I think I went by train to Seaford when I measured the place. I remember going back when I had a motorbike in 1977 and measured up the bits I had missed. I believe only the station building exists now.

Anyway, hope they are of use,

Cheers, Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

I just wish the technology had been better all those years back. I would love to see them again and get them copied at a higher resoltion. I used to live in Uckfield and go to school in Lewes so went and measured the place up in about 1973. I remember being helped by a girlfriend whose family owned what is now the Stroudley 1st 6 wheeler at the bluebell. Spent a few times in the old cottage built round it in east Wittering when I and another had a car. I think I went by train to Seaford when I measured the place. I remember going back when I had a motorbike in 1977 and measured up the bits I had missed. I believe only the station building exists now.

Anyway, hope they are of use,

Cheers, Ian

It’s incredibly useful Ian. My only question is do you have the heights of each section as I can’t quite make these out? The rest I can ascertain I’m sure from what’s there.

Many thanks again, it’s an incredibly helpful resource.

Nestor

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nest said:

It’s incredibly useful Ian. My only question is do you have the heights of each section as I can’t quite make these out? The rest I can ascertain I’m sure from what’s there.

Many thanks again, it’s an incredibly helpful resource.

Nestor

I don't know if this helps, but I have taken part of Vivien Thompson's drawing of Chichester and superimposed it, in red, over Ian's photo of the road elevation, scaling the latter using the horizontal dimensions Ian(?) added to the drawing.

seafordcomparison.png.58c63262a5eb8645bf96ee46349e188f.png

As can be seen the horizontal dimensions are very similar, but Chichester seems slightly higher, or at least the ridge is higher. (For scaling purposes, the quoted dimension for the left hand annexe is 27' 6".)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There are some photos showing some of the details of Seaford Station in this album.

There are also albums of photos taken of the stations at Brighton, Lewes and Eastbourne, if you plough through my gallery!

• Like 2