Burning out DCC decoders

• RMweb Gold

Could always get a 21pin to 8pin adapter simply to stick a Hornby decoder in and prove to them it still kills their own decoders.

But as mentioned above, most likely a tiny whisker of solder is bridging the pickup and motor pins on the socket.

Hi Kaput

Tried the Hornby 8 pin in a 21 pin adapter and it fried it

Ive burnt 3 decoders in it now, but not trying any more, 1 Hornby 8 pin via the adapter & 2 Bachmann 36-557’s

Thankfully, all 3 were spares so I had no recent outlay for them, although I did originally of course 

Your point regarding the excessive solder is one that keeps coming up and is  a good one thanks. 

I must admit I’ve never heard of that before, you learn something new every day !

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

Hi Kaput

Tried the Hornby 8 pin in a 21 pin adapter and it fried it

Ive burnt 3 decoders in it now, but not trying any more, 1 Hornby 8 pin via the adapter & 2 Bachmann 36-557’s

Thankfully, all 3 were spares so I had no recent outlay for them, although I did originally of course 

Your point regarding the excessive solder is one that keeps coming up and is  a good one thanks. 

I must admit I’ve never heard of that before, you learn something new every day !

Thanks

As others have said almost certainly a short on the PCB.  It won't necessarily be in the area of the socket though - it could be anywhere a component (or wire) is soldered to the PCB. 

I had exactly this on a Bachmann peak years ago with solder shorting out two tracks somewhere on the board.  I sent them an enlarged picture of the offending area of the PCB so they couldn't deny it was the PCB at fault but they refused to accept any liability for the blown decoder.  However the shop where I bought it supplied me with a free replacement which was very good service. 

Talking of which you should take it up with the retailer as the item is clearly faulty and it is their responsibility in such circumstances to sort it out not the manufacturer's (unless you bought it direct from Hornby).  If you paid by credit card then giving them a call might be worthwhile as they are jointly liable with the retailer.

Oh and Hornby's attitude to your problem is exactly what I've come to expect from them so doesn't surprise me at all.

Edited by DY444

The consensus here (with which I would agree) is that there is a wiring issue affecting the ability to function on DCC. Hornby are being unhelpful and the OP is not expert/confident enough to diagnose and fix the issue - which I understand too as many are uncomfortable once the subject of multimeter testing etc is mentioned, plus the fiddly work needed to sort whatever frayed wire short/poor contact/stray solder is likely to be at the root of the issue.

The item was bought 'aftermarket' so no retailer to return to so maybe someone could suggest a shop or individual that they recommend who might be able/willing to undertake the diagnosis and remedy should the OP wish?

• RMweb Premium

Before splashing out more money: the lead free solder used for a few years now can actually grow whiskers. Maybe looking carefully with a magnifying glass would find it. Must be worth a punt.😊

On 24/06/2023 at 21:31, Kaput said:

Could always get a 21pin to 8pin adapter simply to stick a Hornby decoder in and prove to them it still kills their own decoders.

But as mentioned above, most likely a tiny whisker of solder is bridging the pickup and motor pins on the socket.

I'm fairly sure that if you did that, they would blame the adapter.

• RMweb Gold

A2B models in Matlock and Tutbury Jinny in Tutbury are both close to Derby (easy on the train too!) and both have helpful people who may be able to assist you 🙂

Hi guys

Sorry for the late replies to you all but I’m away at the moment aboard an ocean liner so the internet is sparse to say the least !

I think sporadic is the word !

Anyway, with my very limited knowledge I would agree with your vast knowledge it seems that this is indeed a wiring issue. It needs someone who knows what they’re looking at to disipher just what that issue is

Hornby aren’t interested because they blame everyone and every thing bar their precious loco. 

When I return this weekend I will try to source assistance with this. Ray has kindly offered his services 

Hornby have sent me a link today to pre order their up and coming prototype Deltic. This is also to be a 21 pin socket, so they can shove it. Sorry, but I approached them for assistance and they treated me like an idiot so they can do one !!

08 221. Yes I know both those retailers but I would be surprised if they did repairs but you never know. Thanks for that

Cheers all

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just to inform you all, that Digitrains have repaired this loco

The motor and one of the pick up wires were wired back to front

I’m really pleased that they have been able to fix it, however, extremely annoyed that Hornby refused to accept that it was their previous loco at fault, when it actually was

Shame on your after sales service Hornby !!

I hope if nothing else, that anyone with similar issues have found this thread useful 

Thanks

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

I’m really pleased that they have been able to fix it, however, extremely annoyed that Hornby refused to accept that it was their previous loco at fault, when it actually was

Having your loco fixed is great news. I am not at all surprised by the attitude of one of the vendors though:

My previous job was to look after a company's corporate IP based phone system. This relied on the company's data network.

It doesn't take much working out to realise that the voice & data teams needed to work closely when there was a fault affecting the voice services.

The 2 were employed by different companies. Every network issue which caused a voice symptom was a nightmare for us & end users. Many faults had to go to management before the network team would even look at an issue which our experience told us was a network one.

The 2 teams then got tupe'd to inside the company & things didn't improve a lot. Until all this bickering was sorted out, the phone issue remained.

Before then, I was in a smaller company where I looked after all IT services. There was no passing of calls to any sub-department. I was in a team who dealt with everything from user to router so we just worked each issue through. We got things done a lot faster & end users got a better service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1