Old Hornby 9F Transfers

Hi all,

I recently won a Hornby 9F (R264) and included in the model are a set of alternative numbers. Now as I already have this particular model I’m thinking of using these alternative numbers to change the numbers one of my 9Fs. 

I don’t think they’re standard water slide transfers and this type are completely new to me. So I’m wondering if they are still good to use? And if so how do I go about applying them? 

Many thanks!

IMG_7466.jpeg

Ah thanks! The only reason I think they aren’t water slide is that the clear paper is stuck onto the print. So I don’t suppose it’s a case of dipping them in water and pressing them down using the clear paper and they come off that way? Might have to do a little investigation 

Well after a quick look and some careful soaking… I managed to get one set on!

I am aware that there’s better transfers from Fox etc but I thought I’d give the originals a go… just to try and keep everything as original as possible I guess!

Will try the other 2 numbers when I can get 2 more donor models.

Thanks for the help too! I know it was rather basic but I’ve never dealt with transfers this old before.

IMG_7469.jpeg

IMG_7470.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Fox personally. I also prefer etched plates to transfers. YMMV.

But those Hornby ones were pretty reasonable for the time. I remember I had changed my Manchester United to Liverpool well before Christmas Dinner!

Jason

Each to his own ! Only issue I have with etched plates for smoke box numbers is they are often over size …. A standard 5 digit plate is used for 4 digit plates …. And they are polished metal, not white. 

But can still look good! 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Fox personally. I also prefer etched plates to transfers. YMMV.

But those Hornby ones were pretty reasonable for the time. I remember I had changed my Manchester United to Liverpool well before Christmas Dinner!

Jason

Wouldn't everyone want to change it away from Man United?

• Funny 1