Signing off after 53 years on the railway!

• RMweb Gold

Notice 63 SWD confirms that Salisbury Panel was planned to first come into operation on Monday 17 August 1981 taking over control of Tunnel Jcn on that day,  During the week it was planned to be gradually extended westwards taking over Salisbury East on the 19th and Salisbury West on the 21st.Salisbury West.    Laverstock Loop was planned to be commissioned on the 28th

So John and Gary are absolutely right assuming the planned commissioning dates were actually achoeved (which they probably were back in those days).

Edited by The Stationmaster
Salisbury East date corrected from18th to 19th ans d year typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

My friend and fellow Signalman John Say signed off his last shift on Monday 5th June

Good luck and a very happy retirement John Say. As a regular users of Salisbury Station (One of my favourites) Janet and I thank John for helping to make every journey safe.

We lived out at Fovant for 12 years, moving there following my retirement after fifty odd years on the railway.

Kind regards, and thanks,

Richard B

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So John and Garry are absolutely right assuming the planned commissioning dates were actually achoeved (which they probably were back in those days).

Thanks Mike, yes I trusted their memories as they could both reel off what happened when independently. 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, russ p said:

Congratulations John,  hope  you have a long and happy retirement 

Wasn't there a lad from there who had his car restored on car sos 

Yep, Adrian had his RS1600 restored just before he had to retire due to MS. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Two names I associate with early careers at Salisbury are David Franks and Mark Stanistreet.

Ring any bells?

I’ve heard the names but before my time Ian. Quite a few of the old boys pop in to say hello on their way to the ‘Thursday Club’ meetings so I know a few I’ve never actually worked with. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Two names I associate with early careers at Salisbury are David Franks and Mark Stanistreet.

Yes Ian - David Franks was Depot Engineer at Reading in the 1980/90s when I met him. Lost touch now though.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1