20% pop up

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

Why does this appear every time I click on something?

There was an error in a setting which has now been changed.

Premium members don't see the ads and if you are a regular user it's worth the £12 p.a.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Premium members don't see the ads and if you are a regular user it's worth the £12 p.a.

I trust that, now that the error has been corrected, the Fathers' Day pop-up is appearing on our offspring's devices, as intended. 😉

John Isherwood.

• Funny 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2023 at 13:48, AY Mod said:

Andy

I apologise now for what will seem like, may actually be, a rant.

I am getting heartedly sick of these pop ups.  For the last week or more I have seen a pop up for a competition.  I responded to the competition even though I have absolutely no interest in the prize.  This in the hope that the pop up would go away.  It didn't.  So I tried to enter the competition again.  It knew I had already entered but your **** pop up didn't.

This is poor, very poor, programming by your website designers.

Before that I had weeks (at times it seemed like a lifetime) of Fathers' Day offers.  My father is dead.  My children are estranged and would not visit this site anyway.  The  continuous reminders were a painful affront.   If I have closed the box, it should remain so - closed.

Now I am sure you will remind me that for a mere £12 I can avoid all of this mental torture.  Well I would happily pay, but your security system for payments refuses to accept my offers.  UK card refused, - and account now closed but that is another matter - wife's UK card refused, ditto French card - ditto German card (both of which would have incurred extra charges but I would have considered it worth it.

And as a final thought on this: each time I cancel your pop up messages, it brings me one click closer to carpel tunnel syndrome.  Doing this many tens of times each day must be increasing my risk.

Rant over.

Sorry to be a pain, but these pop up are a pain for me and I am sure many others.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Rant over.

Why not just send me a polite PM to see if I can assist?

However I am not around as much this week but if you send me your contact details I will forward that to our subscription department to see if they can help.

13 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

This is poor, very poor, programming by your website designers.

Thank you for your criticism, I set the parameters for limited time reappearance based on average user sessions.

15 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Doing this many tens of times each day must be increasing my risk.

For that to occur you must be on here tens of times longer than average users.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder why any credit card would fail? I had no such trouble with my Visa card from Australia. Must be something to do with individual credit providers. If a card has links to Visa or Mastercard, then there should be zero issue.

$AUD22.44 well spent, last December.

ps, just before writing this, I received a spam call on my mobile, alleging that they were from my banks (unnamed of course) Visa/Mastercard department. Now the vast majority of banks, have association with Visa OR Mastercard, but rarely both, unless they are in the process of changing over.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I wonder why any credit card would fail? I had no such trouble with my Visa card from Australia. Must be something to do with individual credit providers. If a card has links to Visa or Mastercard, then there should be zero issue.

$AUD22.44 well spent, last December.

I think it depends on which of the card verification systems are used.  I have the same issue with a major UK retailer and contacted both their verification company and my bank to try and resolve the blockage.  Blanked by both.  I now pay by good old fashioned cheque!!

I suspect that my problem is that our address contains French accented characters and that these do not map correctly during the purchase operation or during the card verification process and the computer then says "no" because the address does not match.

I have no problems when the verification is done through companies such as Worldpay or Sagepay.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2023 at 17:00, Andy Hayter said:

I now pay by good old fashioned cheque!!

I suspect that my problem is that our address contains French accented characters and that these do not map correctly during the purchase operation or during the card verification process and the computer then says "no" because the address does not match.

I have no problems when the verification is done through companies such as Worldpay or Sagepay.

Paying by cheque! Well that would raise a couple of issues, it must be 10 years since I last wrote one, I would have difficulty finding the book.

The other thing is if I from Australia, wrote a cheque for pounds sterling, my bank would have apoplexy and write me a very nasty letter, threatening to close my account, if I persisted with such nonsense. It just cannot be done.

A late friend told me he did exactly that, after he first arrived in Australia, including receiving the nasty letter.

He had no idea, because he had done the same thing many times (non sterling amount) from a UK bank and never an issue.