The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Something is seriously amiss( the Great Biscuit hunt)

tigerburnie

41 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The best biscuit remains for me the Nabisco Magic Roundabout biscuits with added bonus of a Magic Roundabout character.

I absolutely loved those biscuits, though I am not sure how many people will remember them seeing as they date from 1969!

Nothing has ever come close to the malty goodness....

I remember them, were they like ‘sportsbiscuits’ ?

• RMweb Premium

I do feel that the original poster had it right, it's difficult to find a thread on "best biscuits"... And it may continue to stay that way unless this thread title is amended...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For me it has to be a plain chocolate digestive, especially at supper time with either Earl Grey or mint tea.

At morning coffee time a KitKat is always good, or a Penguin with a mug of strong black coffee.

I also like various types of flatbread, with or without cheese.  The mention of cheese reminds me of Cheddars.....

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Now actually used as an interview question along with what type of animal do you like and why!

I've actually had it! I think they throw them in to see if you can think on your feet. Never say "That's a stupid question" though.

As to the answer, Hobnobs or plain chocolate digestives.

No to anything with wafer in it. Especially those pink things. Always seem stale to me. Don't mind KitKats though.

Jason

My answer to those two questions in an interview would be that if I told them I would have to kill them, as both have been used by me as security questions for online identification.

😉

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

On a railway biscuit theme, BR used to sell "cow pats with flies", a giant cow pat shaped chewy cookie with chocolate flies on top, back in the 1980s and 90s when I used to do an annual railrover holiday.  They were even available in the micro and mini buffets used on Cross Country.  They were superb, only beaten by hot buttered toast on the Southern electric buffets.

More exotically, before I started managing my diabetes better, I used to import les Biscuits tres lush from Biscuiterie de l'Abbaye in Normandy.  They do some seriously buttery biscuits, and they arrived across the Channel in one piece.  Si vous voulez chompez sur un biscuit posh et tres yummy, allez au Google.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Having used the search facility I find an omission from this board that is hard to fathom, no discussion on which is the best biscuit

Given the "quality" of the search engine here, perhaps it was under a topic heading like "Something is terribly wrong" rather than the "great British biscuit brouhaha" 😉

At least might I suggest some keywords added to the topic?

As an Australian, I am legally obliged to suggest Tim Tams.

I do enjoy them. Whether they are the greatest biscuit-like thing in the world is, naturally, a subject worthy of debate - even in Australia where you will find devotees of Iced Vo Vos, Monte Carlos, and pretty much every thing from the Arnott's assortment pack.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I guess as a sub topic, which are the best dunkers?

My sisters were keen on biting both ends off a Tim Tam and using them as a straw for drinks like coffee or hot chocolate.

The best 'dunker' is Tuscan biscotti in Vin Santo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Such a difficult question to answer, there’s just too many choices. I need more than one depending on my need. Fruit shortcakes, milk chocolate hob nobs, all butter shortbread, Jamie dodgers. All of the above for dunking.

Any of the Tunnocks offerings are good - had one I’ve never seen before last year in Scotland was wafer covered in coconut.

I know Jaffa Cakes are off the list but when in France can’t resist the ones Lu Pims make, they’re white chocolate with cherry jelly - worth breaking the rules for!

Edited by StuAllen
  • Funny 1

• tigerburnie changed the title to Something is seriously amiss( the Great Biscuit hunt)
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, dave75 said:

I found these the other day and really rate them as a brew, you don't need a biscuit if the tea already tastes of it.

16859980063946029080395862777343.jpg

Its all very well, but your tea only tastes of biscuits if you've been careless enough to dunk your selected biscuit for too long and the end has fallen in*.  The aim is to achieve tea-flavoured biscuit!

* And then you have to spoon the sludge out of the bottom with your teaspoon after finishing drinking your tea, especially if you're going for a top-up...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as Our Glorious Leader introduced savoury biscuits into the debate, I can heartily recommend Carr's Cheese Melts.  Buy a tube of Primula cheese toothpaste, squirt a blob onto the back of one Melt, then add another on top to create the perfect cheese custard cream.  If you want a bit more punch than Primula, a blob of Seriously Strong cheese spread will give a nice cheesy kick.

Cheese Melts are also great for dunking.  Not in a beverage, but a cup of soup.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Title amended, I deliberately  left the title ambiguous to lure people in, seems to have attracted a few posters just the same,

I like it! 

As a tea biscuit, when I permitted myself such treats, I was very fond of Carr's Ginger Lemon Cremes. Very civilized.

• Like 1

Minutes of a meeting of the Railway Unions at Congress House :

TUC Chairman " Before we start, can we just let catering know whether to bring tea or coffee with our biscuits when we break?"

ASLEF General Secretary  "I'm for coffee please". 

TSSA "I'm for coffee too"

RMT chairman "and I prefer tea"

Chairman "Right then, that's settled - 39,000 votes for coffee, 83,000 for tea, so tea it is"

image.png.2e5c1c8c98e23496c1bbf4b7c06012bf.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

18 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I guess as a sub topic, which are the best dunkers?

A real good Ginger Nut generally has prodigious coffee lifting abilities as do Anzac biscuits which I haven't seen for ages ..................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1