Trackside details - Fence posts, point rodding & raised cable trunking.

Jack P

Hi all!

I've got a few questions about the items listed off in the title. 

- SR fence posts: are there good references available somewhere (or does someone know) that show the posts in detail, as well as cover the spacing between posts?

- Point rodding: I've found a really great diagram of FPL's and their working, but it's a GWR one, does anyone have/know of a Southern diagram? Or would the GWR one be close enough?

- Raised cable trunking: the type you'd see running along side the track. Are there diagrams for this?

In addition to the specific above questions, does anyone know if there are bits available for fence posts/cable trunking?

Thanks in advance 

For fence posts see Southern Nouveau by Hawkins and Reeve. I also suggest reading MRJ180 where Douglas Smith goes into detail about modelling them. 

Posts are 18' apart with the distance between straining posts 204yards. Although this could be less depending on local conditions. 

I sell the fence posts that he describes in the article. 2 brass frets contain 2 straining posts and enough intermediate posts to do a 5' length.(which is 204 yards). cost £10.00 a pair plus postage. PM me if you want some.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

Having overseen the removal of tens of miles of the wooden troughing that carried high-voltage and control cables c40 years ago, I ought to be able to cite precise dimensions, but I can’t, and the trade magazines contemporary with its installation that I have just talk about “the usual arrangements”. If someone has a copy of Railway Gazette  December 1932 special edition reporting in detail on the Brighton Line electrification, I think that might contain details, maybe even a drawing.

But, after all the excuses, here is a photo that might help you scale it, and at least get the post spacing correct:

IMG_2365.jpeg.6e9e6984c0b456c0e644d15648c5c9b9.jpeg

My recollection says that the posts were c4” square, and the troughing I think had a top board (which overlapped the side) of c12”. The top boards tended to rot fastest, but we recovered vast amounts of the sides and bottoms in good condition, and sold them to anyone who wanted them, farmers etc. Many staff got garden fences, and one friend built a really top-notch shed for his layout!

A key question is whether or not you actually need them though. Depending upon where your layout is set, you might not: if it is a terminus beyond the last substation on the line, you won’t.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

A key question is whether or not you actually need them though. Depending upon where your layout is set, you might not: if it is a terminus beyond the last substation on the line, you won’t.

And, of course, you only need them at all if the line you are modelling has third-rail electrification ........ and if you are modelling an electrified line the fencing arrangements are usually different.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1

On 13/10/2023 at 06:12, Nearholmer said:

A fair and reasonable question!

The below view is one of the key scenes on the proposed layout and is similar on the other side, rising up again after the signal box. 

Thanks for your insight! 

LSDC4262.jpg