Minor Points: Annie's layout projects.

• RMweb Premium

This little loco which was a Sentinel conversion for the Tottenham Gasworks has been occupying my thoughts just lately.  According to the Farcebook Industrial Railways Enthusiasts page this was once a Ruston Proctor saddle tank, rebuilt by Sentinel with a Sentinel engine  from a steam lorry. However, strange as it might seem the smokebox door is from a Garrett steam wagon.

I have a soft spot for Sentinels and this delightful little loco would make a great 'O' gauge model for a small shunting layout.

v8ekHDf.jpg

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Annie said:

Basic rechargeable 5 volt mini drill.  I purchased two of these.

HLPNcXw.jpg

That looks very handy indeed! Would you mind sharing where you got it from, please?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That looks very handy indeed! Would you mind sharing where you got it from, please?

I purchased it on Trade Me.  https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/building-renovation/tools/power-tools/drills-screwdrivers/listing/4908479990?bof=VSEH9BWz

Other vendors on Trade Me have them as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Annie said:

This little loco which was a Sentinel conversion for the Tottenham Gasworks has been occupying my thoughts just lately.  According to the Farcebook Industrial Railways Enthusiasts page this was once a Ruston Proctor saddle tank, rebuilt by Sentinel with a Sentinel engine  from a steam lorry. However, strange as it might seem the smokebox door is from a Garrett steam wagon.

I have a soft spot for Sentinels and this delightful little loco would make a great 'O' gauge model for a small shunting layout.

v8ekHDf.jpg

It's like Chad Valley or Brimtoy in about 1935 said "Hey, you know those Vale of Rheidol tank engines... could we do one on our standard clockwork chassis"

I actually really like it. Every time I look at that pic, I'm wondering if I could build something out of scrap parts for my 00 industrial micro. Hornby Ruston 48 chassis block, Pug cab.... hmmmm :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Ben B said:

It's like Chad Valley or Brimtoy in about 1935 said "Hey, you know those Vale of Rheidol tank engines... could we do one on our standard clockwork chassis"

I actually really like it. Every time I look at that pic, I'm wondering if I could build something out of scrap parts for my 00 industrial micro. Hornby Ruston 48 chassis block, Pug cab.... hmmmm :)

It does look like it was put together out of a pile of leftover locomotive bits that were lying around the Sentinel works.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Annie said:

It does look like it was put together out of a pile of leftover locomotive bits that were lying around the Sentinel works.

As I said, I'm building a 00 micro layout at the mo and I keep looking at this beast... I wanted a second loco to complement a 48ds for a tramway, and I reckon I might just have to build this! :)

• Like 2

On 10/09/2024 at 22:00, Annie said:

v8ekHDf.jpg

I think TurboSnail has built a pretty decent one of these. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Johnson044 said:

I think TurboSnail has built a pretty decent one of these. 

Edited by Annie
More words needed.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2024 at 02:29, Annie said:

Basic rechargeable 5 volt mini drill.  I purchased two of these.

HLPNcXw.jpg

The two 5 volt mini drills I ordered have arrived.  Somewhat confusingly some vendors on TradeMe had them listed as rechargeable, but they're not.  I plugged one of them into the USB slot on the mains power board beside my computer, clicked the switch and zzziiiiiiiiiizzzzzzz, - it worked just fine.  I haven't done any practical testing just yet, but I'll get around to that fairly soon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Annie said:

The two 5 volt mini drills I ordered have arrived.  Somewhat confusingly some vendors on TradeMe had them listed as rechargeable, but they're not.  I plugged one of them into the USB slot on the mains power board beside my computer, clicked the switch and zzziiiiiiiiiizzzzzzz, - it worked just fine.  I haven't done any practical testing just yet, but I'll get around to that fairly soon.

Hmm, if they're not rechargeable then they're not what I'm after. I've got a very nice 12V dc mini drill but a rechargeable one would be handy for those odd moments when I can't be bothered to set it up.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm, if they're not rechargeable then they're not what I'm after. I've got a very nice 12V dc mini drill but a rechargeable one would be handy for those odd moments when I can't be bothered to set it up.

Fortunately it doesn't matter with what I want them for, but I thought I'd better mention it to avoid anyone ending up with something they didn't want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2024 at 01:08, Annie said:

Thanks Annie. I did a Google image search and found a Danish supplier. Might have a go.

Edited by Mikkel
Deleted UK seller link, turns out they were based in China.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks Annie. I did a Google image search and found a Danish supplier. Might have a go.

They certainly are of Chinese origin, - and there's nothing wrong with that, - but it is annoying when traders make out that they have a presence here in NZ when they are based in China.  I've not been ripped off yet, - it's just downright irritating to have to wait for a couple weeks or more for a purchase to arrive when I thought it would only be a day or two.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorting things out continues in between having to sleep from time to time.  I have a sizeable quantity of plastic 45mm gauge track by various makers that I used to mess around with when I was building large scale models.  I also have a large amount of assorted clockwork and 3 rail 'O' gauge track.  It crossed my mind that if I gave all the plastic 45mm track the toss and only concentrated on 32mm gauge track for both large scale modelling and coarse scale 'O' I could save myself a fair bit of storage space.

I can see myself making the occasional smaller large scale loco for bunting wagons about on a shunting layout.  That small Sentinel conversion for the Tottenham Gasworks that I posted a picture of earlier would make a very nice 16mm or 7/8th scale model and wagons are always fun to make provided I have plenty of ice lolly sticks and wooden coffee stirrers to hand.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Annie said:

Sorting things out continues in between having to sleep from time to time.  I have a sizeable quantity of plastic 45mm gauge track by various makers that I used to mess around with when I was building large scale models.  I also have a large amount of assorted clockwork and 3 rail 'O' gauge track.  It crossed my mind that if I gave all the plastic 45mm track the toss and only concentrated on 32mm gauge track for both large scale modelling and coarse scale 'O' I could save myself a fair bit of storage space.

I can see myself making the occasional smaller large scale loco for bunting wagons about on a shunting layout.  That small Sentinel conversion for the Tottenham Gasworks that I posted a picture of earlier would make a very nice 16mm or 7/8th scale model and wagons are always fun to make provided I have plenty of ice lolly sticks and wooden coffee stirrers to hand.

I ended up with a load of plastic track from the likes of Newray and Echo Toys sets (I only wanted the wagons really). No use for 'proper' garden railway modellers, but I donated it to a charity-run garden centre who used it to make a basic garden railway in their greenhouse. A neighbour is getting the rest, he does an open house charity fund raiser at Christmas, he wants a loop to go around the tree :) It might even be worth seeing if, chucking in a basic toy loco with it, a playgroup or after school group wants it, saves it going straight in the tip?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Northroader said:

We’re all creatures of whims and fancies, Annie. If you’re not going anywhere and don’t need the space, why start slinging stuff out? Just stow it away tidy, and maybe in a year or two….

The trouble is that it's taking up space that I'd rather have clear and empty.  My old 1930s miners cottage isn't all that big to start with and with my younger self's jackdaw habits I have a great pile of stuff that really has to go if I want to get anywhere with my present projects.

19 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I ended up with a load of plastic track from the likes of Newray and Echo Toys sets (I only wanted the wagons really). No use for 'proper' garden railway modellers, but I donated it to a charity-run garden centre who used it to make a basic garden railway in their greenhouse. A neighbour is getting the rest, he does an open house charity fund raiser at Christmas, he wants a loop to go around the tree :) It might even be worth seeing if, chucking in a basic toy loco with it, a playgroup or after school group wants it, saves it going straight in the tip?

Don't worry Ben, - sending it off to the tip would be a last resort.  I intend to offer it about for free on our local community newsletter before I start thinking about more extreme measures.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1