Modelling the railroads of New England - a roundy-roundy

A few years ago I realised you could buy sound-equipped Bachmann HO models, in this country, for about as much as non-DCC Hornby Railroad model would cost. Unfortunately this is no longer the case since Hattons and Rails seem to have abandoned US HO.

My choice of RR to model was primarily driven by two factors. A) does it run through pretty scenery B) can I easily source locos and stock and C) can I fit it in to a small space. UP and ATSF ticked the first two boxes but not the last. They're also too popular, I wanted something a bit more niche. I was originally going to go with the PRR, but then I discovered the Boston and Maine and the quaint colonial towns and villages it served. One GP9 and a 2-6-0 later, the pair for just over £200, I was ready to go...

My layout is a roundy-roundy, using Kato Unitrack which I discovered whilst dabbling in N Gauge. Some may sneer at sectional track but I am not good at wiring so Kato's plug 'n' play approach is a godsend! It works 100% reliably with DCC and I very rarely have derailments.

The two loops aren't connected, purely because the switch I needed for a crossover was hard to find and very expensive. I kind of regret that and I might add one in at a later date.

More photos tomorrow. Over time my modelling interests expanded from the Boston and Maine to encompass neighbouring RRs, particularly the Maine Central, Rutland and the Central Vermont/CN. I would be very curious to know if there are any other UK-based modellers fascinated with this part of the world!

20230513_194706.jpg

20230513_152751.jpg

20230513_195223.jpg

Edited by nathan70000
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

A few years ago I realised you could buy sound-equipped Bachmann HO models, in this country, for about as much as non-DCC Hornby Railroad model would cost. Unfortunately this is no longer the case since Hattons and Rails seem to have abandoned US HO.

My choice of RR to model was primarily driven by two factors. A) does it run through pretty scenery B) can I easily source locos and stock and C) can I fit it in to a small space. UP and ATSF ticked the first two boxes but not the last. They're also too popular, I wanted something a bit more niche. I was originally going to go with the PRR, but then I discovered the Boston and Maine and the quaint colonial towns and villages it served. One GP9 and a 2-6-0 later, the pair for just over £200, I was ready to go...

My layout is a roundy-roundy, using Kato Unitrack which I discovered whilst dabbling in N Gauge. Some may sneer at sectional track but I am not good at wiring so Kato's plug 'n' play approach is a godsend! It works 100% reliably with DCC and I very rarely have derailments.

The two loops aren't connected, purely because the switch I needed for a crossover was hard to find and very expensive. I kind of regret that and I might add one in at a later date.

More photos tomorrow. Over time my modelling interests expanded from the Boston and Maine to encompass neighbouring RRs, particularly the Maine Central, Rutland and the Central Vermont/CN. I would be very curious to know if there are any other UK-based modellers fascinated with this part of the world!

Rails still do US HO, my go to shop is Mech Models, their website isn't the best but they are very nice and helpful, and will order in anything for you.

Nothing wrong with Unitrack, as you've shown, it can be made to look just as good as flexi-track.

I'm Chicagolands area modeller, mainly Rock Island.  One great thing about US RR's is that freight equipment from almost anywhere can show up almost anywhere so your stock doesn't need to be concentrated on RR's from one area

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Nicely done @nathan70000.  Can I ask how big your layout is?  I’ve also been drawn towards the railroads of Maine, although in my case initially because of the Maine 2’ narrow gauge lines, Keith.

spacer.png

(The front handrail is a loose detail to fit in the box, it’s not missing)

My layout is about 7' by 4' - it had to fit in a very confined space!

The Maine narrow gauge lines are fascinating, in On30 there are a few suitable models available including a Forney and various SRRL-alike bits of rolling stock.

Nice BAR Geep- Proto 2000? I have a BL2 in the later all over navy blue scheme awaiting new gears.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks @nathan70000 - my Geep is an Atlas (Classic range - certainly comparable to a Proto 2000 in my view).

While the track plan is simple, I like touches you’ve included such as the team track spur going behind the Depot, and the railings between the double tracks at the Station, as well as the autumnal trees.  All good points in my view, Keith.

• Like 1

Nice to see these.

My one essay in H0 was a Maine waterfront, called Camden, but heavily inspired by the Belfast terminus f the Belfast & Moosehead Lake, which became a perfect prototype when Bachman produced the GE 70 tonner c1990. It was a great layout, into which I put a huge amount of effort, but was marred by me choosing to make the baseboard sections too big (1500 x 500mm), which made it a pig to drag up through a three storey house to the loft after exhibitions.

Although i liveried some locos for B&ML, and others as B&M (none off the shelf then), it was freelanced as Maine Coastal, which very nearly became a real short lane (Maine Coast was the real one) shortly after.

Its a theme I’d return to if granted immortality and the energy to build an infinite number of layouts, possibly basing even more closely on the B&ML, because the “look” of these waterside places is so interesting.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Nice to see these.

My one essay in H0 was a Maine waterfront, called Camden, but heavily inspired by the Belfast terminus f the Belfast & Moosehead Lake, which became a perfect prototype when Bachman produced the GE 70 tonner c1990. It was a great layout, into which I put a huge amount of effort, but was marred by me choosing to make the baseboard sections too big (1500 x 500mm), which made it a pig to drag up through a three storey house to the loft after exhibitions.

Although i liveried some locos for B&ML, and others as B&M (none off the shelf then), it was freelanced as Maine Coastal, which very nearly became a real short lane (Maine Coast was the real one) shortly after.

Its a theme I’d return to if granted immortality and the energy to build an infinite number of layouts, possibly basing even more closely on the B&ML, because the “look” of these waterside places is so interesting.

We visited Belfast when we visited Maine in the late 90s, no trains but we did find the BML Budd RDC1.

My take on New England railroading was Wheelock Mill, a freight only branch serving a Vermont paper mill

D04666A5-099C-4A11-8DE6-8B835AE879EB.jpeg

7C5402C2-5308-41BA-AC2E-000666F0EA22.jpeg

0356E560-C2DB-48E6-8CB5-A515AA71CEEB.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I promised some more photos, and here they are! It's lovely to see I'm not the only one taken with the B&M, some fantastic layouts here.

Many years ago I recall seeing a B&M themed layout at the Hull show- does it still exist?

20230604_233652.jpg.630e7e7651866db8cb55c17b5ad69068.jpg

An overview of the town/main street area. I will add some more small details like road signs over time!

20230604_234759.jpg.285bc2a0a4d0cdaf5f9b2d6b68f29513.jpg

An RS3 brings two SP boxcars off the team track. As has been remarked upon, rolling stock from any road could appear anywhere.

20230604_232308.jpg.b96a4c0667473ef6bcde7739c2678e98.jpg

A bucolic scene as a 2-6-0 passes a small campsite with a passenger train.

The cars are Athearn Roundhouse and they're really too short for a B&M prototype, but they do resemble the antiquated equipment used on remote branch lines even as late as the 1950s. They also don't look silly on small layouts with tight curves!

Edited by nathan70000
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2023 at 19:06, doctor quinn said:

We visited Belfast when we visited Maine in the late 90s, no trains but we did find the BML Budd RDC1.

My take on New England railroading was Wheelock Mill, a freight only branch serving a Vermont paper mill

I certainly remembering see this - possibly on the NMRA circuit which was pretty busy back then.

Chris H

• Like 2

On 13/05/2023 at 18:23, nathan70000 said:

20230513_194706.jpg

20230513_152751.jpg

20230513_195223.jpg

Nathan, there is nothing wrong with using sectional track on your layout. You had selected the best brand of sectional track! I love Kato Unitrack because it is reliable and looks like real track. I have Kato Unitrack in N and HO scale. Many modelers use Kato Unitrack exclusively on their layouts. Here is a video on why this model railroader uses Kato Unitrack on his large N scale layout:

Here is a N scale track plan of the Salt Lake Route layout that was in the Model Railroader magazine:

https://www.trains.com/mrr/how-to/track-plan-database/the-salt-lake-route/

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here is some more information about the N scale Salt Lake Route layout that was featured in the Model Railroader magazine using Kato Unitrack:

https://www.trains.com/mrr/beginners/free-downloads/the-salt-lake-route/

Here is some information about the HO scale Black River Junction layout that the Model Railroader staff had built using Kato Unitrack:

https://www.greatesthobby.com/get-started/bbrj-part-1

https://www.greatesthobby.com/get-started/bbrj-part-2

https://www.greatesthobby.com/get-started/bbrj-part-3

https://www.greatesthobby.com/get-started/bbrj-part-4

All of this information is for everyone.

By the way, Nathan, you have a nice layout. Keep up the good work!

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1