Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0-Gauge, Chapter 2

Nearholmer

On 10/08/2024 at 17:29, F-UnitMad said:

I agree entirely with both of you, I did say as I've quoted about 3D figures - in the context of scale models.

For vintage trains, figures reflecting that vintage are all part of the whole picture, & again add their own 'atmosphere'. I'm reminded of one of P.D. Hancock's figures on the Craig & Mertonford - a bent up, rickety old man with a walking stick - P.D. had made him from candle wax dripped on to a wire frame, IIRC. Nowhere near as 'accurate' as commercial figures, even of the 1950s, but boy did that little figure suit the scene!! 👍👍

and he was called Davie Gilmour was Glenmuir’s oldest inhabitant – ninety three if he is a day – and according to PD he is a direct crib of John Allen’s ‘rheumaticky old man’ [RM July 1955], made from wax brushed onto a wire frame.  In the lower photograph on p17 of NGA he can be seen hobbling away from the leading coach of a train hauled by ‘Alistair’ the driver of which is climbing back into his cab after helping Davie to alight.  In the upper photograph on p17 he can be seen balancing precariously at the top of a steep embankment.  On p99 of NGA we are treated to a portrait [very dark poor quality photograph of Davie whose floppy hat has its brim made out of a paper washer. 

Davie is still with us and has resided, since the layout was rebuilt for the third time, in the [Ballard Bros.] cottage opposite Dundreich shed.

Some of the other wax models survive including the man with the hammer and the three young ladies in swimsuits who used to sit on a boat in Craig harbour

http://54025046281_ab712c03c3_z.jpgDavie Gilmour by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

time stops or goes very  slow on our models otherwise I would have to replace my Cambrian locos  or actually replace the whole scene with the bypass that is there now. Our layouts are more like Groundhog day where the same day repeats again and again but with subtle differences. You wouldn't want your pride and joy to derail every time.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, dunwurken said:

Davie is still with us and has resided, since the layout was rebuilt for the third time, in the [Ballard Bros.] cottage opposite Dundreich shed.

That's the fellow!! Pretty awesome that he's still with us, too. 👍👍

Thanks for posting that info. 👌

• Like 1

It is one heck of a long time since I played trains, but I did this evening, and the railway was running splendidly, even being filmed by Mr WJBL himself.

IMG_1665.jpeg.470e76383f3e821a77a1f8979c8907f7.jpeg

In the street, however, things weren’t going quite so well. The Lead Sheep had wandered out of the goods yard, and was the blocking traffic, almost causing The Widow Mrs Goggins to miss the train to visit her “cousin” (you know, that dreadful fellow with a cigarette-holder she was seen with at the pictures last Tuesday). Fortunately, a porter saved the day.

IMG_1658.jpeg.94a66116603524cd9642f125dee3a92d.jpeg

• Like 11

The one before him, I think.

Although I do get confused, because that excellent episode with Maureen Lipman playing a very sinister alien was set at about the time my layout seems to exist in, and David Tennant was in that one.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Maureen Lipman? Loads on the internet.

I was assuming that William Hartnell only happened to be the incarnation of The Doctor when the programme started in 1963, and that since my layout seems to be more 50s than 60s biased then maybe a different incarnation existed at that time. You never know, The Widow Mrs Goggins, who never seems to age, might be The Doctor, and although it seems unlikely that a time lord would manifest as a lead sheep, I suppose anything is possible.

Quatermass and the Pit, that had a railway theme didn’t it? Hmmm ….

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 01/09/2024 at 15:17, Lacathedrale said:

Yeah I guess that's possible, but I was mostly thinking about whether it would be possible to cross it, since my planned garden loop will have an outside connection to a steaming bay, and an inside connection to a branch station. If it's not possible then no huge issue. An example of the kind of wheel standards I was thinking of are these Bing/BL ones - which seem coarse but not mental:

image.png.005dc37cc5949420e11522f008d56053.png

I have my eye on the 4-4-2 LBSCR Tank but at an estimated £350+30% commission that might be a bit rich for my taste!

Well, the LBSCR tank went for a total figure of £406.40p including buyers premium. Not at all expensive for such a clean example. I've owned two different examples over the years, and both cost considerably more than that! The GtF pictured here made £177.80p altogether, a lot of loco for the money.

https://www.vectis.co.uk/d089-lot-1020457-bing-gauge-1-4-4-2-precursor-lb-scr-brown-11-clockwork-tank?attr_val=e30=&cat=W10=&display=grid&el=1020457&header_id=0&hest=1200&keyword=&lest=0&lo=ASC&pn=5&pp=96&scat=W10=

14 minutes ago, Mark Carne said:

Well, the LBSCR tank went for a total figure of £406.40p including buyers premium. Not at all expensive for such a clean example.

True, but bearing in mind that if William had been bidding on it (assuming that he was not) then it would have gone for more. But yes, I think that it was very well priced, being Gauge 1.