Triang Hornby Caledonian Set cancelled

JohnR

• RMweb Premium

My replacement  for the cancelled Triang set , the Caledonian ,arrived today . Nice decoration on loco and coaches . Surprisingly it dates back to 2007. Time flies ! 

AA6AB90A-49D9-43CF-A982-1590FBAAC260.jpeg

• Like 7

Due to the demand for this train pack I actually wanted this one too! So it is very disappointing! I don't know the ins and outs like everyone else here only Hornby know their reasonings (what part/parts of thevtoolings are unusable/lost/damaged etc. Or whatever the problem is) However It is still possible that a newly tooled model as the train pack could still be produced and reintroduced as part of the originally intended Tri-ang remembered packaging range in the future.

Bearing in mind in 2020 we had a special Hornby centenary year 1971 Evening star in retro packaging. A year before newely tooled 9Fs (including Evening Star) were announced.

I do have the 2007 Hornby R2610 Caledonian loco set it's very nice set if it was just the train pack it's self that you wanted old new shop stock sets still do appear on a well known auction site. So it is always worth looking there often. But fingers crossed that a Tri-ang remembered set will materialise in the future as I still one want one too!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Curiously for a one off engine I now find myself with two !   Both eBay but one Tri-ang Hornby model and the later one just acquired .  The paint job does bring it out well , and it doesnt look too toy like against my Caley 812s (curiously there i have the same loco twice too !)

I hope Hornby do consider a retool , but as I've said before , if they want something more typically Caley then a Cardean or Dunalastair would be good - and there were more than one of them . Blue/ LMS Crimson/ LMS Black - same colours as the 123

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a real soft spot for this loco, having had a Triang Hornby one as a kid, still got it, much repaired. it had  a replacement tender body bought from Gee Dees, cab roof was repaired with superglue gel. Cab handrails replaced with stainless wire. Footsteps are missing, but have a GBL version to rob for parts.

P4265836.JPG.793c5f3bd55ad925ad61bebb9626a454.JPG

I've even just designed a 3D printed replacement chassis bottom to replace the paxolin version I crafted in the '80s

received_570236168224246.jpeg.b71af636f3d30a467670c62661e6dc3e.jpeg

As you can see, I do have a genuine spare, but they are mega scarce, so a 3D printed version might prove useful in future.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Its such a shame. It was the retro nature of the set that appealed to me, in a way the previous Triang re-releases hadnt. I'll probably pick up a 2007 version (did it have a decoder socket?) but its not a priority.