Which design of tender was LNER J39 number 1940 allocated when newly built?

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking into modelling an OO J39 in LNER livery numbered 1940 (year of my mum's birth) which was built at Darlington in 1938, in its original condition https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601039260&loco=1940

Later re-numbered 4959, 64959.

There's no information on BRDatabase on which tender type was attached.

I'll acquire a Bachmann model depending on the exact combination of details and re-number as required.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I just have to identify which Bachmann locos have this tender.

I can repaint/renumber/shave off smokebox numberplate as required. I'm assuming it entered service in plain black (don't have access to Yeadon's)

Edited by gc4946

Certainly when Bachmann first released the J39 it was paired with a high-front tender. IIRC it was said at the time that they used the tender that came with their B1 model, although I have a feeling in the back of my mind that the high-front tenders as paired with (just a handful of) J39s weren't quite identical to those paired with B1s.

• RMweb Premium

This was a Bachmann B1 High fronted tender where I performed some butchery to remove the tool box. I filled the remaining hole with some strips of plasticard to try to represent the  louvers to the coal gate.IMG_3829.jpg.41152b21478aa0036eb2a87306639101.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes I understand. 
Going from memory the J39s that got the high fronted tender did not have the high mounted tool box that was common on the B1s.

I think many of the Bachmann high fronted tenders out there released with B1s or even other  locos have the tool box included. It is a sufficiently old tooling version that the tool box is integral with the tender molding.

The latest V2 releases, except models of Green Arrow, do include a high fronted tender without the tool box. However they have not been issued in LNER black yet.

If your planned number 1940 had no high mounted tool box you can judge from the photo of mine whether it is worth the effort to remove it. It wasn’t too difficult but a bit awkward as I wanted to leave the diagonal plates in place. I think I drilled out what I could and then used a knife to pare parts away until the rest was possible with a file.

In the end it is not very visible. I think we are so used to seeing the high fronted tender with the tool box from multiple Bachmann versions that it doesn’t jump out as an issue if still present.

Good luck with your project, Tom

• Agree 1

Hi gc4946

If it helps, I've a surplus Bachmann 4200g high-front in my spares box

Its the B1 style of course with high level tool box, here it is for comparison with Dominion's modified example above, and the loco it came from now sporting an ex-NER C7 (Z Atlantic) tender, a Dave Alexander kit

PM if you'd like it

20230430_191116.jpg.ad2a75d7d3bd76b3249fab165e6c1d3f.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I bought Bachmann's 31-853 LNER no. 1996 from an auction site, thanks for the offer.

Incidentally mum lived near Tivetshall, Norfolk at the time it was numbered 1940 so she could have seen it there

Edited by gc4946

It is some years since I built a J39 or V2 but I have a vague recollection of reading that in order to rush the V2s into service, tenders were reallocated from existing J39s which in turn had to make do with upcycled tenders from withdrawn engines until new ones were a available.ist have a read of the green bibles tomorrow.

• Agree 1