Goods Platforms in Main Stations

HereticUK

Passenger rated traffic I know, but here we have the former 'Fish Jetty' at Cardiff General / Central, with the "carriage shoots" (end loading docks) on the extreme left.

Taken circa 1976, the 'Fish Jetty is now lost beneath "Platform 0"

Cardiff General Fish Jetty.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

normally classed as mineral wagons and not at all 'XP' rated though they were vacuum fitted, as tail traffic on passenger trains on the Bala Jc-Blaenau Festiniog (period spelling) branch.

Not necessary for them to be XP

According to the 1957 dated general appendix I have at home XP only means that the vehicle can be attached to express passenger trains. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Not necessary for them to be XP

According to the 1957 dated general appendix I have at home XP only means that the vehicle can be attached to express passenger trains. 

Agree.  The restriction on vehicles of a shorter wheelbase than 10ft being permitted to run in trains carrying Class A headlamps was published in June 1939. (there having been a short term exemption prior to then for certain specified  vehicles with a wheelbase of less than 10ft to be allowed to run in such trains).

The prohibition of vehicles with a wheelbase of less than 10ft running in Class A trains was reiterated in October1946 and was additionally, and finally, reaffirmed in Railway Executive Operating Committee Minute 228 published in May 1950.  

The October 1960 reissue of the General Appendix continued with a clause stating that vehicles with a wheelbase of less than 10ft were not to be attached to 'Express Passenger trains'.  And in fact it was not until March 1968 that an amendment was published allowing only vehicles  marked 'XP' or 'P' to run in a  passenger train.

Therefore there was no need at all for wagons with a wheelbase of less than 10ft to be specially authorised to run in a passenger train on the Blaenau Festiniog branch because it was clearly permitted by the General Appendix instruction.  The only thing which would have needed to be published - and then not in the Appendix to the Working Timetable - would have been the reclassification of any of the branch passenger trains as Mixed Trains (although that of course was not necessary for tail traffic in any case but might have been considered for operational reasons in the light of the loads involved and shunting requirements).

PS. The passenger train service between Bala and Blaenau Festiniog was withdrawn wef 02 January 1960.   The freight service ended in the following year.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2023 at 11:49, dave75 said:

If you look at pictures of Darlington station , its very like Knapford, it has a siding like your picture shows, as well as a turntable. 

In some of the old black and white photographs it looks like Gordon, Spencer and Daisy are at Darlington, but I've never seen Thomas!

Thomas is based on an LB&SCR E2 which is a Southern engine.

On 04/05/2023 at 12:30, br2975 said:

Passenger rated traffic I know, but here we have the former 'Fish Jetty' at Cardiff General / Central, with the "carriage shoots" (end loading docks) on the extreme left.

Taken circa 1976, the 'Fish Jetty is now lost beneath "Platform 0"

Cardiff General Fish Jetty.jpg

That has all the makings of a Peco / Wills / Ratio kit!

• Funny 1