Calculating weights for rolling stock.

I read somewhere on here that someone had come up with a simple formula for adding weight to rolling stock. It was somwething like grams per cm of length between buffer stocks but I can't find it even using the search engine.

Anyone recall this and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I would've thought just enough to keep it on the track.

And how much is that? The formula worked well, I just can't find it, nor do I have access to the rolling stock I fitted.

Hi,

The NMRA have info on weighting rolling stock. Their figures may be more suitable for very long freight trains and you might get away with a bit less.

If the train is too heavy the loco may struggle for speed and grip.

Regards

Nik

10 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

The NMRA have info on weighting rolling stock. Their figures may be more suitable for very long freight trains and you might get away with a bit less.

If the train is too heavy the loco may struggle for speed and grip.

Regards

Nik

The NMRA numbers are based on USA practice with bogie wagons and very long trains; I'm running 009 with about 4 - 5 short wheelbase wagons. Like I said, there is a simple formula out there but I can't find it.

ALL RIGHT! a friend reminded me of where I got it from:

To save you watching it all it is 5gm per cm between the buffer stocks.

But the video is worth a look, if a tad OTT ;)

41 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

I read somewhere on here that someone had come up with a simple formula for adding weight to rolling stock. It was somwething like grams per cm of length between buffer stocks but I can't find it even using the search engine.

Anyone recall this and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Ian Rice. 20-25 grams per axle.

Although he does point out the difficulty in actually acheiving that in some types of wagon.

Note number of axles rather than length is the key factor.

Bernard

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Note number of axles rather than length is the key factor.

I use weight per axle or per bogie for wagons and coaches.  For locos I try to get most of the weight on the drivers for steam and  the driven bogies for diesels to maximise traction for metal on metal; I avoid traction tyres.

Agree, Iain Rice 20-25 grams per axle. The mainline coaches for my test track com in at 75g per bogie, 150g overall.  Later Hornby Class 43 HSTs come in at 260g per bogie, 520g overall.  

Edited by NFWEM57

If you have some heavier wagons, eg kitbuilt in whitemetal, try to have them at the head of the train, placed at the rear they may pull lighter stock off the rails on curves.

Alan

28 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

The NMRA numbers are based on USA practice with bogie wagons and very long trains; I'm running 009 with about 4 - 5 short wheelbase wagons. Like I said, there is a simple formula out there but I can't find it.

Hi,

You asked for a simple formula and I sent a link to a simple formula.

You didn't mention 009 and 4 to 5 wagons. 

Regards

Nik