Using a Zimo MX600R as a Function decoder

Gray69

After reading numerous threads that say that I can use a normal decoder to act as a function decoder, I tried this with a Zimo MX600R and a LAIS 860021 to control a tail light.

I wired everything up and I can not get the Z21 to even acknowledge the existence of the decoder. There is power to the decoder, the light works if the decoder is bypassed and the decoders work fine.

Please What am I doing wrong

You cannot use a normal decoder for a function only decoder without placing some form of a load on the motor outputs to simulate the decoder powering a motor. You can use a either motor or a resistor, alternatively you can simply but a function only decoder to operate as you want it to.

• Agree 1

Hi,

When programming the decoder you need some sort of load, as Iain suggests, to simulate a motor.

Once it's programmed then it should work as normal without a load.

Alternatively you can put a loco on the programming track at the same time, program both decoders to set up the tail light and then program the loco decoder back to it's original settings.

That's my preferred method for MU's.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It will work fine Gray.  I assume you have a multiple unit. As JohnP said put both the powered and unpowered car on the program track at the same time.

Just to avoid any issues, do a decoder reset for both units. That will mean writing cv8=8 (for the Zimo) and CV8=3 (for the Lais) 

Program the address (either long or short is fine) which will write to both decoders. Then try operating the directional lights by turning F0 on. If you get one end red and one end white then just make sure they flip when you change direction.   If that's all good then you are done.  If you get white at both ends or red at both ends then, still with both cars on track, read CV29 which should return an odd number value.  Whatever that number is add one to it and reprogram with the new value. Then, remove the non-powered car from the track and reprogram CV29 back to the original value (-1 from the new value).  At this point make any other changes you want to the CVs on the powered car. 

Pop both cars back onto the main track and they should work as anticipated with directional lighting on F0.

If it isn't a multiple unit but some other combination then the same method would apply. Program with a loco on the program track at the same time and then reprogram the loco on its own once done. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

When programming the decoder you need some sort of load, as Iain suggests, to simulate a motor.

Once it's programmed then it should work as normal without a load.

Alternatively you can put a loco on the programming track at the same time, program both decoders to set up the tail light and then program the loco decoder back to it's original settings.

That's my preferred method for MU's.

Regards,

John P

Worked a treat, thanks 👍

• Like 1