Thought I'd start a new topic for pictures of locos and stock that have been stuffed and mounted. There's lots of them in Canada and - presumably - the US, too. Here's a first contribution alongside redevelopment in Victoria, British Columbia. It  has since been taken down, presumably because, in an area which is potentially awaiting a 1-in-100-years earthquake (and builds new property accordingly), it presents an unnecessary danger. Nice 40ft boxcar, though.(CJL)

P1200387.JPG

• Like 6

Taken a good few years ago at Woss, the HQ of the Canadian Forest Products logging line - 56 miles of it, all now gone. Alco 2-8-2 Canfor No. 113 has since been moved to the Heritage Park, where, like so many others it will no doubt quietly rust. (CJL)

Englewood 7.jpeg

Edited by VIA185
spellchecker changed Alco to Also!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Tallinn station, March 2019. Some solid Soviet-era architecture to boot, although lots of modern units in service!

image.jpeg.ba29d495f3102114cfb4a3bf1051d256.jpeg

Apparently it’s an L-2317, built in Moscow in 1953. 

• Like 4

In Vancouver 4-4-0 No 374 is to be found in the Roundhouse Museum in Yaletown. The museum  is quite small and dedicated almost

exclusively to the locomotive itself. 374's claim to fame is that it was the engine which pulled the first transcontinental train into Vancouver.

The loco didn't make the whole journey, just the final stage into Vancouver, probably about 80-100 miles. 

When I was there in 2015 the staff assured me that although the loco could not be steamed, it was still able to be moved and occasionally

left the museum building and onto a turntable situated in the viewing yard outside. The building itself comprised 5-6 stalls of an early and

much larger shed (CPR?) and has been sympathetically restored as a tourist attraction.

I will be in Vancouver at the end of next month and intend to pay another visit to see what changes have been made.

Jim

SAM_0878.JPG

SAM_0885.JPG

SAM_0887.JPG

SAM_0884.JPG

• Like 5

A banana loco down south in remote Costa Rica

PAM07003rPaulBartlett.jpg.07f71e9217eb6ea3e2d625c96037c673.jpg

PAM07004rPaulBartlett.jpg.88d69726cc560f5eb6a29df33bebf59e.jpg

Difficult to get all in one photo! In Golfito Park. It had been used to haul Bananas for United Fruit Co Banana Railway on the Ferrocarril del Sur 2-8-2 no. 81 built Baldwin 1940. I understand there is another in a local port town. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/baldwin81 

Paul

• Like 7

Steeplecab 21203 plinthed at Hershey Station in Cuba. With its square hood and roller bearing trucks it was the ultimate evolution but sadly now out of use. There is another square hood loco abandoned near the Hershey yard and a third at a museum in Havana.

Hershey-Train-Station.jpg.ff6e2cc34bdd752af3872e1f353d9a57.jpg

Despite going to Yakima three times I never thought to visit the Washington State Merci Car, likewise others have been kept on public display throughout the US. 

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/05/the-merci-train-49-boxcars-filled-with.html?m=1

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim49 said:

374's claim to fame is that it was the engine which pulled the first transcontinental train into Vancouver.

SAM_0884.JPG

That statement on the plaque is very carefully correct. The important bit is "into the new city of Vancouver".

The first transcontinental train on the CPR ran into Port Moody from Montreal on 4 July 1886, behind engine #371. The extension of the line to Vancouver was completed in 1887.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...