Weird movement on the programming track

TEAMYAKIMA

I regret that I'[m back again with another DCC 'issue' - please bear with me, I am not a DCC expert 

Based on feedback/advice on RMweb from my previous problem, I have today been going through my entire loco stock and reducing CV29 by 4 in order to de-activate the analogue facility. I had done some when I first got that advice, but decided to go through every loco just to double check

I use a DIGITRAX DCS210 command station and I select the MENU option and select QUICK  and then select READ. 

This afternoon I had checked/altered 99% of my locos without any issues and then I went to check/alter a diesel which had sometimes behaved weirdly on the layout and it was this loco which had prompted me to seek advice on RMweb some time back in the first place. So I put it on my programming track as normal and pressed READ as normal and I noticed something weird, something I tought couldn't happen - the ,loco started to move, very, very slowly. In fact, more like stuttering forward than running.

Aha! I thought. This loco which had behaved badly on the layout is showing weird movement on the programming track - the two things must be linked. But then the next loco I 'tested' behaved the same. So, I went back to diesel locos I had checked/altered earlier and they now showed the same tendency - I would swear that they hadn't shown this movement earlier in the day. I then went back and found a steam ,loco which I had checked/altered earlier and that just stayed perfectly still.

So, to sum up.

This stuttering, slow, movement only occurs when I have selected READ -, it only lasts as long as the system is 'reading' the chip.

I hadn't noticed it before I READ this particular previously troublesome diesel and now all diesels seem to do it.

Is this stuttering normal? Is it that I simply didn't notice it before?

The steam locos have sound and the diesels don't and so I guess that explains why the steam locos don't move at all.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• RMweb Gold

When reading CVs the motor of a loco does ‘pulse’ in response, often forwards and reverse. This is a normal part of the process.  

How much the loco actually moves depends on the loco, it’s motor and gearing.  I recently read the all the CVs on a new Hornby V2 and had to physically move the loco back to the centre of the programming track a couple of times.  It was a loksound decoder so there were lots of CVs to read. Other locos with loksound (as well as other decoders) did move but not nearly as much - so it does vary.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I regret that I'[m back again with another DCC 'issue' - please bear with me, I am not a DCC expert 

Based on feedback/advice on RMweb from my previous problem, I have today been going through my entire loco stock and reducing CV29 by 4 in order to de-activate the analogue facility. I had done some when I first got that advice, but decided to go through every loco just to double check

Don't go around "reducing value by 4" unless you have checked the old value is to allow DC (analogue) running.  Otherwise you get weird results.

Calculator I wrote years ago for CV29, and an explanation of CV29:
http://2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

46 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Don't go around "reducing value by 4" unless you have checked the old value is to allow DC (analogue) running.  Otherwise you get weird results.

Calculator I wrote years ago for CV29, and an explanation of CV29:
http://2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

Hello Nigel

Thanks for the good advice - I am trying to be very cautious with all things DCC, but I am finding this new Digitrax command station and the new handset DT602 somewhat easier to use than the DCS100 and DT402 I used before. I'm cautiously growing in confidence.

• Like 2