The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A dumb question about smartphones

spikey

Like its owner, my smartphone is well past its best before, so I must buy a new one.  This means of course that I will need to transfer all my gubbins to the new one.   Am I correct in thinking that when I move the SIM card to the new phone, all that it takes with it is my phone number, leaving me to set up all the stuff like bank app and so forth on the new phone from scratch? 

• RMweb Gold

It depends on the brand of smartphone I would imagine.

I can’t speak for them all, but when I updated my iPhone last time the transfer of my apps, incl. my banking apps, was pretty much automatic with very little needing to be set up again from scratch. 

With samsung it has smart switch you can connect the two phones by either a cable or over WiFi and maybe Bluetooth. It will transfer everything between the two phoned. All photos documents apps video contacts passwords etc took about half an hour as I had a lot of stuff, but very easy.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You are correct in saying that your SIM card only takes your number with you and not any of your other data. 

As others have said, dependent on the model of your smart phone then it may be possible to get the rest of your data to transfer to your new phone automatically. The older your existing phone however the more challenges that this may pose. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

If it's an Android phone install Google One and backup the apps and data to that. Restore onto the new (Android) phone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR when upgrading my iPhone, I merely had to put the two next to each other to create an onscreen dialogue that led to full transfer of everything. 

The only thing I had to update separately was a Fortigate Token App for my works RDS, but I am quiet happy to do that for security reasons. The rest transferred but this is for Iphone to IPhone transfer only I believe.

• RMweb Gold

If you're worried, any backstreet phone shop will do it for you for a small charge, and if you're sourcing the Galaxy from a dealer, they'll do if for free.  If you've acquired the Galaxy online, it may be worth taking it to the local dealer for whichever network you're on, they'll prolly do it for free, and they'll certainly do it.

There is no such thing as a dumb question, if you don't know something how else do you find out?  Plenty of dumb answers, of course...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you getting the new phone in store, or online? If in store could ask the assistant for help transferring your apps etc. 

(just seen The Johnster posted same suggestion at same time)

Edited by StuAllen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, spikey said:

Like its owner, my smartphone is well past its best before, so I must buy a new one.  This means of course that I will need to transfer all my gubbins to the new one.   Am I correct in thinking that when I move the SIM card to the new phone, all that it takes with it is my phone number, leaving me to set up all the stuff like bank app and so forth on the new phone from scratch? 

My sympathies. Stuff like this defeats me (as does subjects like DCC etc). I'm self confessed plank thick on these matters. I love designing circuits and semi auto control units using ''old school'' relays. switches etc. Here's my account of how I solved my new phone problem earlier this year.

1. I  invited Grandbairns round to ''ours'' for a McDonalds.

2 When they arrived I presented Mia aged 14 with my old phone and Rohan aged 12 with my new phone phone  and explained my problem

3 I promptly scarpered round to Mcdonalds to collect the scoff.

4  On my return ,20 mins later, Mia was inspecting Maggie's latest 1/12 scale dolls house creations and Rohan was ''playing'' with a '' loose lay'' Dublo  3 rail layout that I had casually left lying on the living room floor. I noticed that both new and old phones were parked on the coffee table.

5 Whilst tucking in to the takeaway I dared to ask, over the rattling of the Dublo, ''erm how did the phone thing go then?'' to be greeted with the joyous reply ''no probs Grandad, all sorted for you and ready to go''

6 I never cease to be amazed and heartwarmingly gladdened at how astonishingly clever all our youngsters can be when it comes to IT matters.

( PS I realise that grandbairns are not always a readily available  asset)😊

Kind Regards, Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 months later...
On 16/04/2023 at 18:54, The Johnster said:

prolly

Lol, act yer age Johnst!

I'm joking, obvs. Find myself using "yoof" terms, scolding myself but then realising language is in constant evolution... so, yeah...whatever!

C6T.

• Funny 1

When saving new contacts, some Android versions gave the opportunity to save either to the phone's storage or to the SIM card. If the data was saved to the SIM, then it will move with the SIM to the new phone. Otherwise, most phones are able to transfer the data from one to the other. My last switch even allowed me to keep all messages and photos as well as the contact details.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

I bought a new smart phone recently, the shop assistant told me to go and get a cup of coffee and the phone would be ready when I got back.

All I had to do was pay and then enter some passwords as I opened apps.  Of course the bank system recognised it as a new phone and required me to go through a security process.  Then I just had to alter settings in some apps from defaults to how I like them - some of them I'd never got round to doing on the previous phone!.

David

• RMweb Premium

I was with Vodafone and bought a new Motorola phone (not from them)

Just went into a Vodafone store and they swapped everything in a couple of minutes and no charge.

It required a new SIM card because the new one was a micro and the old one was a midi sized one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As others have suggested, the transfer of settings and data between handsets needn't be a pain these days.

For goodness sake though, if you are going through a second party vendor to obtain a better handset and/or plan with the same network, click UPGRADE not NEW contract!

I'm two-thirds the way through triangular porting because of my failure to click on the right option...and then I have to do it all again for a second number I also have. As daunting as it sounds, the other option of changing to two different numbers and the rigmarole that'd involve didn't appeal.

C6T.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/08/2023 at 09:31, melmerby said:

I was with Vodafone and bought a new Motorola phone (not from them)

Just went into a Vodafone store and they swapped everything in a couple of minutes and no charge.

It required a new SIM card because the new one was a micro and the old one was a midi sized one.

Dad had the same issue, new phone was nano-SIM old one micro, he took it down to a local computer shop and they got busy with the scissors. Worked a treat!

C6T.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Be careful not to take to Currys, Carphone Warehouse, Dixon's or whatever they are calling themselves this week! I got a new phone from them a couple of years ago and was informed that for data protection reasons any computer or phone left with them was automatically wiped of all data. I pointed out that I wanted the data moved from one to the other but they insisted it was not allowed so I went to my local Vodafone shop and they sorted it out very quickly. They were so efficient I even moved my broadband account to them joining my wife's and my phone accounts which got me a nice discount!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Be careful not to take to Currys, Carphone Warehouse, Dixon's or whatever they are calling themselves this week!

Agree 100%

From my dealings with them in the past they are just BS merchants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1