Model Railway Journal 295

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

As noted by Mick Nicholson over on the 294 thread, MRJ 295 has now been produced and is available to buy.

762496502_MRJ295.jpg.85b9a10f55cba6375b0851d7ba2814cd.jpg

A good issue with a variety of topics and subjects I think, in stock here in Bath and my more detailed take on it is here.

Simon

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, Hawk said:

So what IS wrong with wood?

Wet and dry rot?

And as @APOLLO notes, creatures. Of railway interest these include Teredo Navalis, which had a munch at Barmouth Viaduct...

Edited by Hroth
More!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

More wood in the paper would (cough) have been nice - I note a degradation in the quality.

Funny you should mention that, I thought the same as it seems a bit "shinier", perhaps we're off on the Bronco trail?

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2023 at 22:00, New Haven Neil said:

More wood in the paper would (cough) have been nice - I note a degradation in the quality.

So I'm not alone!  I thought it was a bit thinner than usual. Not really a problem and if it helps with the economics of producing the magazine,  I'm content with that.

I'm in the habit of using the Cordex binders from Modern Bookbinders for my MRJs. I find that the "American" size binders with the 26 cord option can accomodate between 20 & 22 issues comfortably.  Might now be more with the thnner paper.
https://www.modernbookbinders.com/product/cordex-magazine-binder/

Mark

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, 2mmMark said:

I'm in the habit of using the Cordex binders from Modern Bookbinders for my MRJs. I find that the "American" size binders with the 26 cord option can accomodate between 20 & 22 issues comfortably.  Might now be more with the thnner paper.
https://www.modernbookbinders.com/product/cordex-magazine-binder/
Mark

Its sure going to build your muscles, heaving those from bookshelf to couch. I find 12 in a binder more than enough. 🙂

• Funny 1

On 11/04/2023 at 15:38, David Bigcheeseplant said:

For some reason the photos of Charwelton in the 80s and Oldshaw seem to have been transposed on the Railex and Expo EM show previews.

Confused the hell out of me until I figured out what had happened.

I have to say that the photo of the 03 and 08 on page 71 is one of the most realistic photos I've ever seen...

The "wood" article sort of chimes with me. I'm taking infant steps into O gauge and my thinking is that I won't be building huge numbers of wagons like I would for a layout in say 4mm. So, might it be possible to use materials more closely analogous to the original? So, make my open wagons and vans out of wood (ply or perhaps strips of hard wood) with etched brass for the metal work with the exception of things like buffers and axle boxes which would (in my cunning scheming) be made from 3D printed resin. So I was delighted to read the article. 

Top issue (the paper does feel a little "thin" or is that my imagination?)

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

The "wood" article sort of chimes with me. I'm taking infant steps into O gauge and my thinking is that I won't be building huge numbers of wagons like I would for a layout in say 4mm. So, might it be possible to use materials more closely analogous to the original? So, make my open wagons and vans out of wood (ply or perhaps strips of hard wood) with etched brass for the metal work with the exception of things like buffers and axle boxes which would (in my cunning scheming) be made from 3D printed resin. So I was delighted to read the article. 

Top issue (the paper does feel a little "thin" or is that my imagination?)

There was an article in a much earlier issue of MRJ regarding O gauge wooden bodied private owner wagons......not a lot of help if I can't give you the issue number.....

Stand by

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

There was an article in a much earlier issue of MRJ regarding O gauge wooden bodied private owner wagons......not a lot of help if I can't give you the issue number.....

Stand by

Rob. 

141?

• Thanks 1