Lancaster and Carlisle Railway Crest in Colour?

LMRT

46 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I stopped posting on here, but this is cracking me up no end....  

Didn't anyone do history? As this is so basic it's unreal.

It's Henry IV - Duke Of Lancaster!

The last of the Dukes of Lancaster as a separate title, after which all Kings of England were then Duke of Lancaster, even QEII. Still revered in the North West.

Jason

i did suggest that it was one of the kings from the house of lancaster earlier :) was just a bit sidetracked as every other example was taken from a coat of arms of somewhere else.

There are also a number of contemporary etchings of John of Gaunt the first duke which are similar - e.g. this. No colour though! I think there's enough scope to choose what you like for this one...John-of-Gaunt-Lancaster.jpg

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jdsnape said:

There are also a number of contemporary etchings of John of Gaunt the first duke which are similar - e.g. this. No colour though! I think there's enough scope to choose what you like for this one...

I assume you mean contemporary with the L&CR, not with John of Gaunt himself!

Thank you all for your help. The Railway Heritage Trust is very appreciative, since they can now crack on with the restoration work at Citadel Station in Carlisle.  We found an actual photograph at  cumbrianrailways.org.uk of when it was in good condition, but it was only 256*256 pixels but they should be able to get a higher res image from them. 

20230324_215109.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LMRT said:

Thank you all for your help. The Railway Heritage Trust is very appreciative, since they can now crack on with the restoration work at Citadel Station in Carlisle.  We found an actual photograph at  cumbrianrailways.org.uk of when it was in good condition, but it was only 256*256 pixels but they should be able to get a higher res image from them. 

No problem. It's fun trying to find these things out -- I learned quite a bit int he process. So thanks for the challenge. Let us know if you find out anything else that's interesting.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

Going slightly off topic, as is our want, are there any plans of the standard Lancaster and Carlisle station building? I'm keen to model Burton and Holme in particular. Thank you. 

You could ask the L&NWR Society and the Cumbrian Railways Association, both of which have extensive collections of archival material. You could also ask the Network Rail Archive.