K's GWR 1361 0-6-0ST rebuild in EM Gauge

Paint? I'll be finishing it at this rate! This is Precision post-1928 GWR green, applied through the Expo airbrush.

Next weekend will hopefully see the other colours added, plus final details in due course - there is still a list to complete - handrails, reversing rod, tank balance pipe, guard irons, glazing, drain cocks, whistles. Then there's lamps - I mostly build industrials, but have heard that 'proper' engines had things called lamps that some people get very worked up about! Will I need red ones for GWR? I'll be stopping at some point as I struggle with fine detail so in my case less is more... Then lettering, and after at least another week, weathering. I do hope that I can get it finished before it is 12 months in the making, this has been on my workbench too long, and I'm already thinking ahead to the next project.

IMG_20240115_102632_MP.jpg.0a4f87dec1ffd95c7ae4bee98addefa8.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking good.

Lamps? I think you're modelling post-war, aren't you, so white (I happen to have Jenkinson's 'The Big Four in Colour' next to me). One over each buffer, I think - one red lens, one plain for pilot or shunting work.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Adam said:

Looking good.

Lamps? I think you're modelling post-war, aren't you, so white (I happen to have Jenkinson's 'The Big Four in Colour' next to me). One over each buffer, I think - one red lens, one plain for pilot or shunting work.

Adam

Perfect, thank you.

• Like 1

Pretty close to done now. The loco was lettered with HMRS Pressfix transfers, and then weathered with a dilute mix of black/tan/grey sprayed on, followed by weathering powders. It's only when I see the photo of it un-weathered that I realise how dirty it is, but the photo I have found online shows it very grubby in 1948. The last few odds and ends included whistles from brass tube and wire, glazing, handrails, tank balance pipe, a fire iron on the bunker brackets, coal in the bunker, and crew, from Airfix as always. There's more I could have done but I know when to stop, even if it's before most people would!

To be ordered are numberplates - I bought the Brassmasters 'make up your own' type, but my skills just weren't up to it, and they came out not good enough. After a 10 month build I'm too impatient to wait for Narrow Planet etched plates so will probably try Railtec this time. Also on order are some lamps from Modelu. I also realised that I have forgotten the vac pipes - as a mostly industrial modeller I don't have to use use them very often, that's my excuse...

IMG_20240127_143502_MP.jpg.0bf1ecff214621f15efbee7f591ed4ae.jpg

IMG_20240128_152257_MP.jpg.a081237065896a3761321eba43246abe.jpg

IMG_20240128_152125_MP.jpg.f6b7ba79a792e920a68a0518ff67c7f3.jpg

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a shunting session today I have to say that this loco is one of the quietest and sweetest running I have ever built, which is a great recommendation for that 'ebay cheapo' motor - I just need to remember where I got it now! I bought it several years ago and the ebay history doesn't go back that far. At least I have one more...

IMG_20240210_162756_MP(1).jpg.6289497925c6270369a135586aaa835b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Railtec number plates on now, and they look very good, but I failed to realise how bright the 'brass' is in comparison with the real stuff, so I didn't weather them before putting them on. I now have to try to do this without messing up the paint. Numbers done, but not the edge, that's for a steady hand day !

IMG_20240303_140507_MP.jpg.e9a5b6d60f61264ee2a387ae6a16a927.jpg

• Like 7