Metropolitan Railway E Class - Met No.1

rapidoandy

Posed outside the famous Breadbin depot, the E class really looks top rate. Sadly I'm layoutless at the moment (yes, I confess, Breadbin depot is not a prototypical location) but on the rolling road with the sound on I've been extremely impressed so far.

IMG_20240722_162759.jpg

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Prettiest loco of the year so far? Gets my vote.

Rapido Met 3 copy.jpg

Rapido Met 6 copy.jpg

A very close call between this loco and the Accurascale "Buckjumper" I would say and I couldn't call it either way...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

I would say and I couldn't call it either way...

I'll let you know my thoughts when I've had my mitts on the fierce competition.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Saw my first example in the display cabinet over the weekend - it really grabs attention and looks quality. Model of the year is going to be a difficult one for sure, I'd include the Dapol Hawthorn in my short list whilst I've yet to read anything other than absolute praise for the SLW Class 25 from those who have actually received one.  From the yet to be released models the Accurascale 31 is looking 'special' then there is the Bachmann 25, 30 and 31 to come as well.

Its a good year so far!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

looks quality

It feels it too, nicely weighted and balanced. 0-4-4s are difficult in that regard but it runs very smoothly. Lovely paint finish and decoration.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

For those of us with Ashbury stock, LT Museum have this pic of L44 with Ashbury stock though the circumstances of their operating together aren't explained

6812403598_595fbf88c9_k.jpgMet Loco No. 1 by London Transport Museum, on Flickr

ECS working of the Chesham branch stock 1935 to c.1955. Probably taken at Neasden. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I went up the club last night to run it in. Seriously impressed, looks, sounds and performs incredibly well. Easily made it into my Top 5 models I have. 

Rapido Metropolitan E Class No.1 (DCC Sound Fitted), running in on the SWHMRS 00 Gauge Test Track.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine arrived early this afternoon (Melbourne time), just as Mrs SRman and I were going out. Anyway, once we got home again, I wasted no time opening it and placing it on the rolling road to test and run in. Running was very smooth straight out of the box.

The sounds are good, but I think could do with a little more bass - easily done with a few tweaks.

Further down the track (no pun intended), I will rearrange the functions to bring them more into line with other locos I have.

I did a very short video, which isn't really worth posting to YouTube yet, but once I do some more video recording of it in service, I'll put it all together and post it up.

20240724_164820.jpg.fef93c635b4723e288c9174ad3fe2ca2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2024 at 22:06, PhilJ W said:

I've ordered this book.

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Malcolm-Batten/Heritage-Trains-on-the-London-Underground/27603900

Only thing is that I have L48 which was scrapped  before there were any heritage trains on the underground. I will have to invoke rule one.

The postie delivered the book this morning. Well worth it if you want to model the preserved era.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PeterH said:

I went up the club last night to run it in. Seriously impressed, looks, sounds and performs incredibly well. Easily made it into my Top 5 models I have. 

Rapido Metropolitan E Class No.1 (DCC Sound Fitted), running in on the SWHMRS 00 Gauge Test Track.

Thanks for sharing this - proves it runs as well as it looks! And glad its not just me that has a left over screw on the layout layout that clearly belongs to something that is currently missing it 😎

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well Rapido have certainly come up trumps with their 'E Class'.

Mine arrived from Derails today and it is superb model.

Here is L44, ex-works at Juniper Hill Tip..

Taking the biscuit....

Taking the biscuit....

Taking the biscuit....

Well worth the wait from Rapido. Fantastic all round and well recommended.

To celebrate the arrival at Juniper Hill Tip, Bourbon Biscuits supplied by Derails were consumed.. 😉

Taking the biscuit....

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice too and I’m glad customers aren’t experiencing the build quality problems of our beloved You Tube influencer Sam and what he received.

• Funny 7

I have now made a short video of my No. 1 in as preserved condition. I'm posting this on my Newton Broadway layout topic as well.

I remapped most of the functions from F5 upwards to bring them more into line with my usual preferences (e.g. F5 is the coupling clank, F11 is flange squeal, and so on).

I tweaked the bass and treble sound outputs and I think that improves the already good sounds. Bass (CV196) is now 24, and treble (CV197) is now 12.

I added the extra details where possible, although I haven't figured out exactly where the frame gussets should fit, and I tried the tank balance pipes, including grinding inner parts of them away, but couldn't quite get the clearances to work for reliable running.

Edited by SRman
typo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Very nice too and I’m glad customers aren’t experiencing the build quality problems of our beloved You Tube influencer Sam and what he received.

Lots of people posting in his comments section to say their models are perfect, which is a nice change.  Be honest, Rapido, did you set him up for the lols?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

One comment though - Why does the box say TFL Official Licensed Product? The loco itself is privately owned. Is it because they need to licence the London Transport wording?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

I just got notification that my LTM edition is on its way to me.

What's the difference between the LTM exclusive and the 'bog standard' 2013-2020 version?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

What's the difference between the LTM exclusive and the 'bog standard' 2013-2020 version?

On 16/07/2024 at 13:41, RapidoCorbs said:

Hey folks,

The London Transport Museum edition is the same livery as 909004 but comes with the following extras:

-Collectors edition box

-2 x etched metal headboards (‘150 Underground’ and ‘Underground Pioneer’)
-Commemorative postcard using LU150 poster artwork
-Exclusive book covering the history of Metropolitan Railway steam, the ‘E’ Class locomotives and No. 1’s preservation and appearances on ’Steam on the Met’ and LU150 specials, written by Chris Holmes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Was discussed in a previous page.

Quote from RapiodCorbs

"The London Transport Museum edition is the same livery as 909004 but comes with the following extras:

-Collectors edition box

-2 x etched metal headboards (‘150 Underground’ and ‘Underground Pioneer’)
-Commemorative postcard using LU150 poster artwork
-Exclusive book covering the history of Metropolitan Railway steam, the ‘E’ Class locomotives and No. 1’s preservation and appearances on ’Steam on the Met’ and LU150 specials, written by Chris Holmes"

• Like 2