Metropolitan Railway E Class - Met No.1

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Picked up mine from Paul at Alton Models this morning. A thing of beauty and it ran perfectly from the go, really smooth and amazing slow running to boot. Paul told me that everyone he has run for customers has been perfect. Its a fantastic model and credit to the guys at Rapido and the factory out in China. Looking forward to the E1.

all the best

Godfrey

PS Its a rule 1 purchase but worth every penny!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can anyone suggest some suitable rolling stock other than coaches as mentioned above? I know there are some MET and LT open wagons by Rapido, but does anyone have any further information on the type of goods stock these ran with? Thanks 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MatthewEWS said:

Can anyone suggest some suitable rolling stock other than coaches as mentioned above? I know there are some MET and LT open wagons by Rapido, but does anyone have any further information on the type of goods stock these ran with? Thanks 

They were passenger engines originally and after the Metropolitan was absorbed into London Transport in 1933 they only hauled works trains. Most of the wagons used by the Met/LT were of the five plank type painted a mid grey with white lettering, they were ordered/delivered in different batches and had slight variations. London Transport purchased some brake vans from Hurst Neilson in 1935 a kit for which was available from the late Phil Radley.

15 hours ago, RogerTE said:

Waiting for mine (ordered it late!), but when it comes I will be re-gauging to P4  (Haven't yet thought about how to do it, that will have to wait until I can do the measurements or, hopefully, one of the companies that are good at that sort of thing brings out a conversion kit!)

Went down that route but cancelled my order as someone mentioned that another Rapido loco had an odd chassis arrangement.  Ordered the SEF one instead. Gibson does the correct P4 wheels but on 1/4” axles - Rapido are rumoured to use 3mm but could be reamed out, maybe.  The SEF chassis is good and compensated if you decide to scrap the Rapido one.  See my thread below.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Went down that route but cancelled my order as someone mentioned that another Rapido loco had an odd chassis arrangement.  Ordered the SEF one instead. Gibson does the correct P4 wheels but on 1/4” axles - Rapido are rumoured to use 3mm but could be reamed out, maybe.  The SEF chassis is good and compensated if you decide to scrap the Rapido one.  See my thread below.

Yes I have a P4 SEF one, but using Sharman wheels which I bought many years ago in anticipation 😃.

I have just examined the Rapido model (someone else's) and must admit it is superb, much better than the SEF body.

One of the options I have been considering is seeing whether the SEF chassis can be be adapted to fit.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Can anybody tell me if the Met 1 has a flickering firebox on analogue please ?

Mine arrived today and just glows red !
Thanks in advance.

On other models the flicker only happens on DCC because it’s a lighting function of the chip. It doesn’t mention it in the Rapido blurb and is called firebox glow on previous models so it may be a slight typo error. 

• Like 1

• Rapido staff
13 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Met 1 has 2mm axles on both driving and trailing wheels. Driving axles are geared together. Hope this is useful!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The YouTube clip on the Rapido website that demonstrates the sound has a clip of ‘dynamic firebox draw’

ie. flickering firebox, so I think I’ve just answered my own question 🙄

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MatthewEWS said:

Whilst in Metropolitan use and up until being LT engines they were primarily passenger engines, mostly pulling Dreadnoughts (with and without the Pullmans). I have only seen one photo of one attached to an Ashbury coach whilst in Met days, but that only showed part of the first carriage. During LT days they were mainly used on departmental duties (e.g. the rubbish trips), although my late dads first job on the Met was a  fireman on one that was used during the dismantling of the Brill branch (he later went on to become a driver of F class locos). During WW2 they were often used as substitute passenger engines, again pulling Dreadnoughts north of Rickmansworth.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

4 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Met 1 has 2mm axles on both driving and trailing wheels. Driving axles are geared together. Hope this is useful!

Sounds very challenging!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Yep - tells me I need to look at a replacement chassis!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RogerTE said:

During WW2 they were often used as substitute passenger engines, again pulling Dreadnoughts north of Rickmansworth.

Casserley's The later years of Metropolitan Steam has one on standby in April 1947 due to shortages at Neasden, which is "useful".

Albin Reed's The Met.and GC Line: An Observer's Notes, 1948-68 also notes them on the Neasden-Willesden Green (mostly) coal service - no pictures of E Class on these, but the other illustrations appear to show various types of (BR) 16T minerals and 5/7 planks. He also notes the occasional Hybars, Shocwagons and tube (tubing) wagons, with a mixture of LT and BR brakes. There's also mention of a *single* instance of an E Class with Ashbury stock (in non-railtour use).

Edited by Mark Dickerson
Qualified Willesden Green
  • Like 2

• Rapido staff
On 19/07/2024 at 14:47, Eddie the dog said:

Can anybody tell me if the Met 1 has a flickering firebox on analogue please ?

Mine arrived today and just glows red !
Thanks in advance.

DC-Ready / Silent models will just have the firebox LED light, no flicker as this is controlled by the software on the DCC decoder used on the DCC / Sound-Fitted models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask whether the flicker is controllable on dcc fitted models that are not sound, I have tried with a

Lenz decoder and can control either red or yellow leds that are on constantly but cannot get to flicker.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Rapido staff
13 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Can I ask whether the flicker is controllable on dcc fitted models that are not sound, I have tried with a

Lenz decoder and can control either red or yellow leds that are on constantly but cannot get to flicker.

Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge there is no flicker control on the PCB in the loco, only on the software on the DCC sound chip.

Factory DCC sound-fitted locos will have the flicker when running on analogue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Thanks.

If I'm reading Decoder Pro correctly for Lenz you need to set CV62 based on whether the light is on output C or D (Think that works out as Aux 1 or 2):

image.png.836922dfb8c92cfd44985a11722dab26.png

• Like 2

On 16/07/2024 at 14:54, Phil Parker said:

The LT Museum has also been rebranding, with a logo incorporating all tube line colours. I found the pictures particularly interesting, but was told I couldn't go to London to cover the event... ☹️

LT Museum cake.jpg

They certainly don't look like museum pieces !

SWMBO isn't interested in trains, but chocolate cake is another matter altogether.

• Like 2

Well there is a prototype for everything !! Those of us with a green 2H Hampshire unit with small yellow panels can run this 2014 train . Air brakes being the requirement . Met 1 approaches Ropley Mid Hants Railway51335850686_6aa5f2522a_o.jpg.86a52bd3ed7690748aebe83d57c138c0.jpg

Edited by Linesideohotos
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Linesideohotos said:

Well there is a prototype for everything !! Those of us with a green 2H Hampshire unit with small yellow panels can run this 2014 train . Air brakes being the requirement . Met 1 approaches Ropley Mid Hants Railway51335850686_6aa5f2522a_o.jpg.86a52bd3ed7690748aebe83d57c138c0.jpg

It’s worth pointing out that the real loco has vacuum brakes (as well as air) otherwise it would not have been able to haul the Bluebell Railways vacuum braked stock under the capital to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the first section of the opening of the first section of the underground under central London back in 2013.

As to why the Mid-Hants chose to use its air brake facility the following year I will leave others to explain….

• Like 3