The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Asking David over at Ultrascale to turn down the tyres is still an option, as is getting one’s hands on a wheel turning tool (S4S stores lists one). It’s that lovely blue, lined out finish I would struggle to replicate…

My view is that getting one of these and converting it to P4 is a far cheaper route than buying a kit and then fighting to get a decent result with it, a bit of a no brainer based on my experiences.

Using a form tool to reprofile the wheels is in my opinion fraught with danger. I know plenty appear to do it, but it requires being able to set up the wheels with a very high degree of precision. It's a different ball game to profiling a blank wheel. I just machine wheels in a very crude way by reducing the width and height of the flange using an ordinary cutting tool. This way means the height can be left larger, I use 0.5mm, to offset the need for compensation/springing, while the basic tyre profile remains untouched. This is useful for RTR with mostly fixed/rigid axles. But it does naturally rely on having a lathe with which to do it ....

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Izzy said:

But it does naturally rely on having a lathe with which to do it ....

Indeed, Bob and it's kind of you to acknowledge what for some of us, constitutes a gap in our engineering or modelling capabilities.

Without the necessary tools and equipment to do what some people advocate, I find the building of an entirely new chassis, using commercially available wheels, to be the easier option.

I have to admit that I've always been irritated by the blithe statements by 'those who can', that such a course of action is (of course!) easy...

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4